or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lift line

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
Maybe you good people can help me understand: wife and I are in the quad lift line and pick up another pair to fill the lift and quicken the line. Four people in front of us go up to the next chair then break into two’s and take the next two chairs. Lifties don’t even blink but I find this disturbing…maybe I’m just too sensitive but it seems rude and selfish to make the rest of us wait in line while they spread out and play little tricks to have their own personal lift. This is not a one time occurrence, it happens every day that I go up. I go up to enjoy the day and this type of behavior brings out a very nasty, violent part of my personality that I don’t like.
post #2 of 41
Simple...
There are 4 smart people here (you and your wife and the 2 that paired with you),

and a minimum of 5 complete idiots...4 of which paid to be standing there and at least one who isn't paid enough to be standing there.
post #3 of 41
I dunno what they are thinking, either the lifties or the riders. Reminds me of last summer on Mt. Hood, three race camp counselors/coaches/somethings were yapping away and set up three for the next quad chair at the Palmer mid load.

Jeez, the freaking line is 20 minutes, we're getting loaded like molasses and these three are leaving an empty seat. I slid up and loaded, which they didn't plan on [earned me a dirty look] but filled the chair.

I hate seeing seats go up empty.
post #4 of 41
If you're looking for a license to heckle, I hereby grant you one. You can now make fun of the idiots as you please.
post #5 of 41
Guess #1 ... you just caught them by suprise. Most coaches have been around long enough they are "immune" to having anyone along for the ride. That is the most probable.

Guess #2 ... Coaches were hoping for those rare monents away from the kids when they could do a bit of "rip em apart" critique and didn't want to have an outsider hear a "motivational strategy session". Some can sound pretty tough.
post #6 of 41
Not to be contrary - I get as annoyed as the next guy when I see people screw up the line - but how many of us haven't, at some time, misjudged the line and ended up going up alone, or in a pair, when there is a long line waiting to get on? Sometimes people just screw up. It's not worth getting too riled up over.

Besides, you're in Oregon. Oregonians are supposed to be granola-eating, pot-smoking peaceniks.
post #7 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus178
<snip>
Besides, you're in Oregon. Oregonians are supposed to be granola-eating, pot-smoking peaceniks.
ah, my reputation has preceded me...had to give up the herb...couldn't stay awake!
post #8 of 41
Alta does a good job of herding the crowds. "Front line move up"
and ""Singles fill in".

When the singles line gets too long, they fill the chair with just singles.

I haven't seen this efficiency anywhere else.
post #9 of 41
Camelback and Elk in PA do a great job in getting chairs filled.
post #10 of 41
A pet peeve of mine too. It's not that hard to count to six!
post #11 of 41
Also annoying is when six people try to load into a triple chair, causing the operator to stop the lift! Only saw this once. It was more funny than upsetting, though.

Back on topic, riding lifts with other people is often a great experience in itself, so why limit yourself to riding alone? It would annoy me too if the lift line was 20 minutes long and half-empty chairs were heading up the slopes.
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryel
Maybe you good people can help me understand: wife and I are in the quad lift line and pick up another pair to fill the lift and quicken the line. Four people in front of us go up to the next chair then break into two’s and take the next two chairs. Lifties don’t even blink but I find this disturbing…maybe I’m just too sensitive but it seems rude and selfish to make the rest of us wait in line while they spread out and play little tricks to have their own personal lift. This is not a one time occurrence, it happens every day that I go up. I go up to enjoy the day and this type of behavior brings out a very nasty, violent part of my personality that I don’t like.
I have felt those same feelings Ryel. Feelings are a physiological response to stimulus and I cannot control mine by pretending or rationalizing. I value thoughtfulness and consideration so I aspire to be these things and usually feel shame when I fall short. Sometimes I get really angry if I am struggling (way too focused on) one of my character defects and someone displays this defect. I ran my mouth in a lift line once when I saw a similar thing happen. Some people laughed but others didn't and I just felt like an idiot. Anyway, I rode the lift up with a woman and two of her friends and she gave me a great piece of advice. She told me that maybe I needed to enjoy the lift line for what it was, and give myself a break. She was right, I still do it sometimes but now I try and focus on the positive and just tell myself when I see someone do something that makes me angry that I am capable of doing the same thing. Don't know if this helps, but thanks for posting.
post #13 of 41
Ryel your dealing with the 10%'ers. 90% try to do it right and then you have the 10%'ers. Unfortunately I seem to attract 10%'ers.: :
post #14 of 41
If you take a second think about this, how big of a deal is it really? On a typical HSQ, there are 100 carriers (chairs), half of which are occupied (the other half are on the way down the cable). If two carriers are mis-loaded at any given time of those 50 loaded chairs, then there are, say 4 total seats empty. That's a 2% slow down of the line. 2% of a 20 minute line is 24 seconds. Does half a minute really matter that much? Are you going to get *that* much more skiing in?

Powdr
post #15 of 41
There is nothing like having a private conversation with someone on a chairlift. So peaceful and beautiful; true feelings come out on a chair that otherwise would not. And no, sometimes you just can't move it somewhere else. This of course is not on busy/powder days. Maybe the two who split off are having an issue that your different paradigm doesn't understand. Some people who pay for a day of skiing and are not concerned about 30,000 vertical but instead the company and the experience. Anyone out there never sneak a kiss on a lift?
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbskiing
....Anyone out there never sneak a kiss on a lift?
Save it for the Gondola
post #17 of 41
You never know where your gonna get burned.
post #18 of 41
Yup and I've also managed it on a T-bar a few times.
post #19 of 41
If lines are not long, groups of people or individuals are welcome to ride up on any type of lift filling or not filling chairs as they wish. However when lift lines increase to more than say a couple minutes long and skiing conditions are good, more and more of those in the lift line are not going to be too happy to see chair seats going unfilled. Especially on powder days. Now most skiers and boarders understand this math and for the most part they cooperate. But now there are certain obnoxious pairs of mainly boarders that play a game that after the lift attendant quads them up with another pair, and they quietly shuffle to the starting block, to the surprise of the other pair, they don't move forward and instead look at the ground then board on a subsequent chair as a dub. A couple weeks ago with a 5 minute line, two such boarders did so two chairs ahead of me. Before they left the block I yelled something (don't recall what?) to make them think twice about pulling that sh!t again.

...David
post #20 of 41
See it all the time. The lift wranglers make up full chairs, then the boarders will hang back so they don't have to ride up with other people, and the people who were in teh singles line hang back until their mates (also in the singles line) come up to where they are.... families totally stuff up getting their kids to the line and either try to wrench the kids' arms off, or end up in a muddle in no man's land and they have to stop the lift...
I could go on.
I think lifties are convinced that skiiers and snowboarders are an alien species.
post #21 of 41
You can't blame the lifty's, 99% of us snow riders know how to load onto the lift, yes sometimes even us old skiers screw up, sometime it's just the beginners. Sometimes like at Okemo there are Teens with twin tip skis, with bright green ski pants with big faded pink letters on the left leg and a snow camo parker, Yea I'm looking for this guy, I'm sure he's a season pass holder. I've seen him and buddy's on the lift with the bar up, a number of times. Yesterday he and two buddies do just what this thread is about. When the single joined them two of them waited. So two chairs had two people on them. They rode the chair with the bar up. For those that don't know it's VT state law to have the bar down. I radioed up the lift to a fellow Ambassador to hold the kids on chair 25, we were on chair 31. With all the confusion at the top the kids got away. I just didn't feel like chasing them down not being in uniform. Next weekend when I'm working I think I'll make it my misson to talk to these boys. All I have to do is wait at the gate to the terrain park. I'm sure they'll show up.
post #22 of 41
I'd mumble some obsenities, wince at my Wife, take it all in stride and consider the fact that lifties are among the most stupid people in the world.
post #23 of 41
Yea I'm looking for this guy, I'm sure he's a season pass holder. I've seen him and buddy's on the lift with the bar up, a number of times.



Bwahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!:
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Capacity
..I've seen him and buddy's on the lift with the bar up, a number of times. ..
Heaven forbid! This scofflaw must be punished for not conforming to uniform code.
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdr
If you take a second think about this, how big of a deal is it really? On a typical HSQ, there are 100 carriers (chairs), half of which are occupied (the other half are on the way down the cable). If two carriers are mis-loaded at any given time of those 50 loaded chairs, then there are, say 4 total seats empty. That's a 2% slow down of the line. 2% of a 20 minute line is 24 seconds. Does half a minute really matter that much? Are you going to get *that* much more skiing in?

Powdr
Where's the engineer's in the audience to answer this question. If it's a normal busy weekend in the east, and there is a continuous lift line, every chair spot missed is cumulative where every not used spot is an extra person in the lift line. If 4 people take 10 runs, and every time, they split up into 2 twos on a quad lift, that's 40 chair spots not used, and makes the lift line 40 people longer than it shoulda been. multiply that by how many want private chair rides and add the missed loads due to screw-ups and people that can't count to 4, that makes for a long lift line.
Of course that puts less people on the trails, and more people quitting early due to long lift lines, so I guess it's not so bad...
post #26 of 41
We see this quite a bit at night when the schools clubs are in attendance-usually a simple "Yo! Quad up!" will get the message across.
I remember a "lift attendant nazi" a few years ago at Sugarbush who was so insistent on having full chairs that she would let chairs go by empty if there were not four people lined up rather than send them up half or 3/4 full! Talk about making no sense!
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-turn
Where's the engineer's in the audience to answer this question. If it's a normal busy weekend in the east, and there is a continuous lift line, every chair spot missed is cumulative where every not used spot is an extra person in the lift line. If 4 people take 10 runs, and every time, they split up into 2 twos on a quad lift, that's 40 chair spots not used, and makes the lift line 40 people longer than it shoulda been. multiply that by how many want private chair rides and add the missed loads due to screw-ups and people that can't count to 4, that makes for a long lift line.
Of course that puts less people on the trails, and more people quitting early due to long lift lines, so I guess it's not so bad...
Umm. I am an engineer (OK - used to be before mgmt. duties called). What you are forgetting is that the capacity of the lift never changes. Let's say a HSQ has a capacity of 2,000 skiers/hour. Then if 4 seats (using the analogy I started w/ in the earlier post) are empty at any given time, it will always have 2% less capacity in that given hour, or an effective capacity of 1960 hour in, hour out. It's not cumulative. It's just simply reduced capacity throughout the day. Now, to create a 20 minute lift line, you have to have an excess of skiers over the capacity of the lift. In this case, if the lift has an effective capacity of 1960, then there must be 653 people in line (1/3 of the hourly capacity). If every seat was taken (2000/hour capacity), then those 653 people in line would take 19.6 minutes to load instead of the 20 minutes. Again, does it really matter? How many days do you really wait that long anyway. Wait - EC skiers don't answer that.

Powdr
post #28 of 41
Thread Starter 
it's not about the math, it's about consideration. Some people just blow the rest of us off for some kind of personal pleasure.
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryel
it's not about the math, it's about consideration. Some people just blow the rest of us off for some kind of personal pleasure.
As stated by other before: we live in a society that seems to have lost it's value for consideration for others. My dad would have opened a can of wup a$$ on me (probably still would today) if he saw me do that kind of sh!t.

Powdr
post #30 of 41
We need to have horns, like in cars. When some knucklehead holds the line up, lay on the horn. No, I don't really want this, but there have been times it would have been useful.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion