New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Alps a Bust? - Page 3

post #61 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki
Thank you for those inspirational words, from the "powerhouse" of WC skiiing: England.

I forgot ... The British "invented" slalom! Clever guy ... taking the word "slope" and then doing what Norsk kids had been doing for hundreds of years. The appropriate word here, is they "appropriated" slalom ... in the military we just called it "comshaw" .... or "stolen".

The reason the Brits love their ..... "holidays" .... so much; they can't wait to get the hell out of there.

The reason the Brits are such "World Class Experts", on everything ... tis' so miserable there all you can do is sit in and read, and read, and read .... ad naseum. They don't "do" much, but they have read every book about it!
Hum, I don't really want to be part of jonny.jones bashing of latchigo (who happen to be a brit also if I'm not mistaken).
But, as a frenchman, I must say that the alps are filled with skiers and mountaineer from the UK that kick serious ass ! They are serious 'doers'...
Actualy, they praticaly invented modern mountaineering, not so bad for such a flat country !
Anyway, we're all european now.
Aren't we ?
post #62 of 88

i must defer of course! ..

The definition, philippeR, is your's to decide.

I am not a "meddling" American!
post #63 of 88

lame

Another Euorope vs US skiing thread..how lame is that.
The original post was a total troll event

you all need to get out and ski more
post #64 of 88
exactly. titling a thread "The Alps a Bust?", (unless allegorically paralleling the fine hills to mammi), you know...stating a negative judgement, but tossing a question mark at the end, is bullshcheisse. real BS.
the person who started this thread did so in a negative and judgemental manner, tossing a question mark in so as to have en excuse by which to say "oh, i was oooonnnnnllyyy aaaaaaaaaaassssssskkkkkkingg" .
a thread titled : "The Rockies a Bust?" would receive, justifiably, on this north american based-board, far more replies.

the Alps and the Rockies are so different, in such wonderful ways, as to render opening statements pitting one against the other as silly.
reactions/arguments to these opening statements are inevitable and probably necessary to some greater sideline purpose.

The Carpathians and California's Sierras are unique and different enough to/from each other , as well, that comparisons utilizing negatives are absurd, while contrasts which site the positive might better serve as the order of the day.

Would that we could all conduct ourselves as better world skiers, and then it might follow, better world citizens.
You wanna start a thread saying the alps or the rockies are a bust?
pack a lunch
post #65 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal to colorado
Another Euorope vs US skiing thread..how lame is that.
The original post was a total troll event

you all need to get out and ski more
I don't think so. A poorly informed post, maybe.
Now, what's lame, is to equate euro skiing with the Alps... There are other mountains in Europe.

Yuki : we're stiil pondering this...
post #66 of 88

Yuk Yuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki
Thank you for those inspirational words, from the "powerhouse" of WC skiiing: England.

I forgot ... The British "invented" slalom! Clever guy ... taking the word "slope" and then doing what Norsk kids had been doing for hundreds of years. The appropriate word here, is they "appropriated" slalom ... in the military we just called it "comshaw" .... or "stolen".

The reason the Brits love their ..... "holidays" .... so much; they can't wait to get the hell out of there.

The reason the Brits are such "World Class Experts", on everything ... tis' so miserable there all you can do is sit in and read, and read, and read .... ad naseum. They don't "do" much, but they have read every book about it!

I must confess! My secret life desire; unfulfilled, would to be a ski instrctor in Leeds where a "pow dump" is dropping the ice bucket!

For your information Yuki i didn't say Brits were the best skiiers and beat the Americans etc. I simply said the "Europeans" were. Please read things before getting up on your high horse!

Yes i do all my skiing in Leeds.........what a tool.........i do have a passport y'know! Just because i originate from Leeds in the UK doesn't mean i ski there, now that WOULD be a challenge, numb nuts!

Have you ever even been to England? Doubtful! Seen as you don't no jack about us. I didn't want to have to retort to any fools like yourself (as Vlad and others have commented, it is getting exceptinally tired) but felt i must following your little tirade on Britain.

Maybe i must apologise for having holidays to enjoy! So i apologise that you are tiny minded.

Go work on your skiing, you could probably use it
post #67 of 88
Look at the big grin over the post.

and ...

Sadly, yes, I have been to England. A few times.

I won't do that again ... I promise ... I think!
post #68 of 88

Yuk

Me neither.

I'm getting the hell out of here it does nowt but rain. Urrgh!

Give me some powder any day.

I'm getting out of here myself on Saturday, at last!

Canada here i bloody come!
post #69 of 88
das' mo' like it, fellas.
honestly- when I ski America, many Americans, upon recognizing my swiss-teaching license patch, comment on how much they absolutely LOVE the Alps, and the attendant vert, steeps, off-piste, and gemultlichtkeit,
and, when i'm in the tram in the Alps, and my American accent is recognized (easily, i might add), Alpine skiers coo and trill about Utha's champagne powder, Aspen's iconic Hollyweird appeal, Vail's regal grace, and Montana's uniquely old-west ease. the entire tram quickly erupts into a rocky-Mountain-Appreciation-Guild meeting, spun wildly, frightfully, out of order.
i reach for the gavel and find only my helmet.....

anyway- y'all get the point.
There is much beautiful skiing, the world over. the contrasts are each regions' strengths.
post #70 of 88

Bulgaria?

Has anyone in here ever skiied Bulgaria at Pamporovo? I wouldn't have thought it likely but i just thought i'd ask. I've skiied there about 4-5 times. It's a pretty good do when the snow's reliable.

They're having a better season for snow there at the moment than Jasper where i'm going on Saturday. Bloody typical!!

Best thing about Bulgaria is how cheap it is. You get a meal out for 6 people, 3-courses and all drinks. Costs about £30! Magic!!

And the drinking........well, let's not mention that one.....something to do with me running down a snowy street falling over.......ah, we laughed too....

post #71 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMachine
Has anyone in here ever skiied Bulgaria at Pamporovo? I wouldn't have thought it likely but i just thought i'd ask. I've skiied there about 4-5 times. It's a pretty good do when the snow's reliable.

They're having a better season for snow there at the moment than Jasper where i'm going on Saturday. Bloody typical!!

Best thing about Bulgaria is how cheap it is. You get a meal out for 6 people, 3-courses and all drinks. Costs about £30! Magic!!

And the drinking........well, let's not mention that one.....something to do with me running down a snowy street falling over.......ah, we laughed too....


a limey mentioning cheapness as the best feature? how odd.

i've never skied there, but i've heard cool stuff about it.
the bulk of my ski school guests in the early 90s, at harrachov, CZ (harrachov.cz) were limeys, both commonwealth and british.
the owner of the inn/equip.rental/school where i directed had a deal worked out with a london-based east-injun travel agent named 'ravi', featuring bargain ski trips to (nee "Czechoslovakia") the Czech Republic.
The fact that the school was run by an english-speaking yank kept it wildly successful with the limeys, and we had non-stop nijinks, day and night, on the slopes and off.
I miss those days with the huge british/commonwealth groups.
y'all truly know how to party.
I hope to find a new contact in the UK through whom to set up such packages in '07...
(ahem...hint hint)
post #72 of 88

Limey

Limey? Deary me! lol! Yes we're tight-arses allegedly.

How do you mean a contact? Very subtle by the way.

I have to say it is most definitely true that we know how to party ( or at least i do).

Czech is somewhere i haven't really thought of to ski, what's it like there? Is it cheap? ha ha
post #73 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMachine
Limey? Deary me! lol! Yes we're tight-arses allegedly.

How do you mean a contact? Very subtle by the way.

I have to say it is most definitely true that we know how to party ( or at least i do).

Czech is somewhere i haven't really thought of to ski, what's it like there? Is it cheap? ha ha
not as cheap as bosnia, but cheaper than slovenia.
it has an english-speaking ski school and inn, however, with a big english following.
vlad sleeps on the attic floor, mit die fledermausen....seriously.
post #74 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad
not as cheap as bosnia, but cheaper than slovenia.
it has an english-speaking ski school and inn, however, with a big english following.
vlad sleeps on the attic floor, mit die fledermausen....seriously.

What does the bit i've bolded and underlined in your quote mean?

You sleep in the attic? Hmm, sounds great : heh heh

I shall have to make my way over there at some point then i think. Hmm, yes, i think i shall.

I tell you what, it seems no-one's going to Jasper this year as i posted a couple of threads, one asking what it's like and the other if anyone was going within the next two weeks........

Not a bite!
post #75 of 88
I was going to say something, but as with most threads this long, it has kind of disenagrated into meaningless rubble.
post #76 of 88

Whatever you feel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyChicken
I was going to say something, but as with most threads this long, it has kind of disenagrated into meaningless rubble.
Just post whatever you feel Chicken Bob. I'm sure you've something to dicuss. It seemed like it anyway...:
post #77 of 88
'with the bats'. primarily the "Large Mouse-Eared Bat", (myotis myotis), and the "Whiskered Bat", (selysius mystacinus)
instructor-housing is usually half-assed bunkbedding thrown into old communist 'supermarkets', with shared baths and many german shepherd dogs. far too 'colourful'
post #78 of 88

Maybe....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad
'with the bats'. primarily the "Large Mouse-Eared Bat", (myotis myotis), and the "Whiskered Bat", (selysius mystacinus)
instructor-housing is usually half-assed bunkbedding thrown into old communist 'supermarkets', with shared baths and many german shepherd dogs. far too 'colourful'
Perhaps it's the best place for you Vlad being that you know so much about them. Bit of an cloest (or should i say "attic") avid Richard Attenborough fan are we?

Sounds a bit too colourful for my liking my friend. I'll stick to my nice fat double bed with fluffy pillows etc. Ahh, too nice

Not long left now! Just under 42 hours 'til i fly out!! WOOHOOO!!! :
post #79 of 88
bats rock. don't worry, "guests" at the inn in harrachov stay in the impeccably-appointed rooms of the first and second floors.
i'm the lone soul often stirring at 3 am downstairs in the tuning room, setting up my boards.
i don't run the belt before 9 am, ever.
post #80 of 88

jonny.jones is innocent !

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippeR
Hum, I don't really want to be part of jonny.jones bashing of latchigo (who happen to be a brit also if I'm not mistaken).
jonny.jones is innocent ! He never even mentioned me.

I saw the amusing exchange of words on t’internet between the poster from Leeds and the poster from New Jersey ( two of the finest locations in the world).

Looks like all is sweetness and light between the two now. They will be exchanging Christmas cards next and, at the first sight of snow, the Yorkshireman will invite the Yank over for a week’s skiing in Harehills.
post #81 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchigo
jonny.jones is innocent ! He never even mentioned me.

I saw the amusing exchange of words on t’internet between the poster from Leeds and the poster from New Jersey ( two of the finest locations in the world).

Looks like all is sweetness and light between the two now. They will be exchanging Christmas cards next and, at the first sight of snow, the Yorkshireman will invite the Yank over for a week’s skiing in Harehills.
Errrr, I meant SkiMachine.
post #82 of 88
Normally ... I would be quite smug ... cause I can log about 50 on snow days by jumping in the car here in Jersey ... (not the Isle of) ... and be at a whopping 850 vert in ..... Pennsylvania, never breaking the speed limit in just over an hour.

Fully admitting that I prefer QUANTITY over QUALITY ...

This year I'll hold off ... the spring flowers have started and the weather has been more "English".

If it stays like this (1776 be damned) .... you can have the place back!
post #83 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki

If it stays like this (1776 be damned) .... you can have the place back!
Please!
post #84 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by okolepuka
Please!
king george was in power then.......
post #85 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchigo
jonny.jones is innocent ! He never even mentioned me.

I saw the amusing exchange of words on t’internet between the poster from Leeds and the poster from New Jersey ( two of the finest locations in the world).

Looks like all is sweetness and light between the two now. They will be exchanging Christmas cards next and, at the first sight of snow, the Yorkshireman will invite the Yank over for a week’s skiing in Harehills.
Maybe in Harehills if you want little chavs jumping out at you trying to rob you and smack heads trying to stab and shoot you. lol. It's well rough up there!

You know you want to come ski the tarmac with me, lol!

Only 24 hours and 22 minutes to take off out of this sh*t hole and over to good old Canada! Cannot wait at all!! Sleep tonight? Doubtful!
post #86 of 88
you know, skimachine.....
pommies who set up ski tours to Bohemia, CZ, often stay and ski for free....
post #87 of 88
Thread Starter 
My apologies for not replying sooner to these richly detailed posts (I got swept up into a brutal one-week business trip).

These replies are largely insightful and intelligent. I'm convinced that the people we met at Whistler and Sun Peaks were simply Europeans struck by the differences between Europe vs. NA, rather than the attributes of each experience.

The content of this thread has convinced us to proceed with our plans to visit the Alps, possibly Zermatt, next season.

Thanks again for the thorough, thoughtful comments!
post #88 of 88

Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad
you know, skimachine.....
pommies who set up ski tours to Bohemia, CZ, often stay and ski for free....
Sounds good to me mate. I'm just in the VIP lounge (woo) in the airport at Manchester waiting to board. We don't fly til half 9 though do we may not be boarding for a while yet.I have to say that, in fact, the VIP Lounge here is absolute sh*t i'm glad we didn't pay for it.See you on the mountain
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion