or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Horrific Instruction..... - Page 2

post #31 of 38
Thread Starter 
if, in a level I class, you
A) teach bullfighter stance
or
B) are NOT sweating your ass off even if it's below 0 F outside,
you might not be a very good instructor
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad
in my 29 years of professional instructing, i've had very few, if any, unsatisfied guests.
in fact, in the past twenty years, the greater majority, by far, scream about how i got 'em past their ruts.
how about you take me up on a lesson before you jabber about it....or, if that's not doable, maybe one of these local types here in the greater NY area would like to take me up on a free couple hours of private instruction, and report back to epic....marta? njskibabe? anyone?
I'm game... but have done all my quota of 'merican trips this year... so when and where?
post #33 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by disski
I'm game... but have done all my quota of 'merican trips this year... so when and where?

next season, tyrol, austria; krknose, czech republic; engadin, CH.
likely in the krknose most of the time, at harrachov (harrachov.cz)
post #34 of 38
Vlad,

Quote:
i got to witness a ski lesson (lev.I, first-timers, beegweeners) in which the "instructor" stood, in his boots, with his kis laying by his side, resting his shoulders on his poles, for over a half-hour, withoout ever once standing up, demonstrating, donning skiss, etc.
he'd watch his pupils flounder on down the hill, and then look back over at the class, and tell the next one to go.
I'd like to invite the Director and or the staff trainers of the area that you obsurved to see what we are doing with beginners at my area. We have limited space, but can do a large number of classes where no one is standing around, ever, constant demos and a very high success rate. The beginner classes are fun and very effective. The amount of returning skiers from the beginner classes is above average.

Please pm me if you are interested.

RW
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad
next season, tyrol, austria; krknose, czech republic; engadin, CH.
likely in the krknose most of the time, at harrachov (harrachov.cz)


OK... thats set....
Now remember - I'm a difficult student.... very vocal you will surely know if i don't get it.... or if I do....
post #36 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron White
Vlad,



I'd like to invite the Director and or the staff trainers of the area that you obsurved to see what we are doing with beginners at my area. We have limited space, but can do a large number of classes where no one is standing around, ever, constant demos and a very high success rate. The beginner classes are fun and very effective. The amount of returning skiers from the beginner classes is above average.

Please pm me if you are interested.

RW
that's a great offer, ron, but they simply do not care. if i'm not mistaken, one of the new (this season) supervisors is FROM your resort. might be huntah, though, but i believe he came from windham.
VERY nice man, refuses to ever look up the bunny-hill at classes, and is outta there the moment the last class is assigned.
I'm very familiar with your school, as i'd mentioned, mr. krickl allowed me to bring student groups from a prep school where i coached to your mountain, with my staff along as instructors. you don't have to sell me on the class-act outfit you guys run.
hey- i was the staff trainer at the great gorge resort in the insane days of over 40 classes going out at many of the hourly lineups. we ran the most animated and highest volume school in north america. I was one of two staff trainers at the time.
my polite suggestions have been met with absolute disconcern.
trust me, the resort simply doesn't care.
they're a real-estate company, and they only need it to look pretty up to the moment they've sold their last unit.
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad
teaching kids is a totally different ballgame- great point. when i started professionally teaching, i was only allowed to teach kids for the first 4 years .... there was little-to-no demo, and it's still like that when i have occasion to teach 'em
excellent opoint, heinously overlooked by my vladness
with kids, it's ALL about keepin' 'em moving, playing tag and other games, and keeping the (^^*%ing parents the (*&(&^ away, so they don't fawn all over little bobby when little bobby lands on his ass.
OK, I don't agree with you very often, but this time:

That said, I believe you still have to base the amount of demoing on the child's age and understanding. After a certain age (probably 8 or 9) guided discovery becomes a valuable tool - and, yes, there is a certain amount of standing around talking for that to work, followed by experiential learning.
post #38 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyblake
OK, I don't agree with you very often, but this time:

That said, I believe you still have to base the amount of demoing on the child's age and understanding. After a certain age (probably 8 or 9) guided discovery becomes a valuable tool - and, yes, there is a certain amount of standing around talking for that to work, followed by experiential learning.
when you really think about it, having a three year-old chase you while throwing snowballs (all the while diverging the tips in order to get traction) IS 'guided discovery'.

don't tempt me to post my typical exercises for preteeens. wild stuff.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching