EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Need Advice on New Ski Purchase.....Volkl AC3?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need Advice on New Ski Purchase.....Volkl AC3?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hi, I am new to this forum and would love to get some advice on my first ski purchase. I am 5"10, 155lbs and about level 6-7 skier. I usually ski in the Northeast (Upstate New York and Vermont) with occasional trips out west to Utah. Trying to decide if Volkl AC3 at 170 is too much ski for me….. Or should I go for the 163? I am also considering the 4* as well…….. Apprecaite any input on this (or recommendations other skis that I should demo before buying =) Thank you very much for help!
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat
Hi, I am new to this forum and would love to get some advice on my first ski purchase. I am 5"10, 155lbs and about level 6-7 skier. I usually ski in the Northeast (Upstate New York and Vermont) with occasional trips out west to Utah. Trying to decide if Volkl AC3 at 170 is too much ski for me….. Or should I go for the 163? I am also considering the 4* as well…….. Apprecaite any input on this (or recommendations other skis that I should demo before buying =) Thank you very much for help!
AC3 over the 4* and stay with the 170. You hit oil, stop drill go get them, get on them and start enjoying them.
post #3 of 17
I am about 50 pounds heavier then you. I bought the AC4 in 170. While it is still a great ski I wish I would have gone with the 177 instead. If I were you I would get the AC3 in 170
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thank you very much! Will go get the AC3 170 tomorrow
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
before this I was worried that 170 is too much ski for my skill level/weight, but I guess I can grow into it =) Thanks help everyone.
post #6 of 17
Let us know what you think about them.
post #7 of 17
Hmm. The AC3 is a fairly stiff ski. I'm 50lbs heavier (6' and 205 lbs) and ski the 170cm. At lease try the 163cm. The AC3 should be a fairly nimble ski, a bit more versatile than the 5*. I think dawcatching in his review skied the 177 and commented that he needed the 170. IMO, ski this one short.
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
My shop is out of AC3 (only AC4 left) so I ordered a pair online....... one question though: I should definitely bring it into the shop and have the Motion AT PCOS Binding installed?? It's not something you can DIY right? The last thing I want is to screw up and hurt myself...... and any idea how much is it going to cost? Thanks help again!
post #9 of 17
If you are very experienced in mounting bindings, you might be able to do it yourself. But if this is your first ski, chances are extremely good that you would mess it up. And, in any case, you would still need to go to the shop to have them check that the bindings release at the stated force.

In Baltimore, it costs about $45 to have the bindings installed. In Washington DC, closer to $75. In Western mountain resorts, often closer to $30. You'll have to check prices where you live. However, make sure you go with someone who inspires confidence. Even the pros occasionally mess it up (e.g., mounting one binding further forward than the other), and if that happens you want someone who will make it right..
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thank you for the information, I will definitely bring the skis into the shop for mounting. Can't wait to try them on.....
post #11 of 17
If you ask them and give your sole length, most on line shops will mount the skis for you, but leave the setting to a local shop.
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks Phil, that's very helpful.

If the online shop can do the mounting for me, I still have to take the new skis to the local shop and have it tested for binding release? Or can I just do it at the demo shop in the ski resort if it is a quick check?
Thanks again!
post #13 of 17
They would typically do it quickly, but if they are really backed up they might insist that you leave the skis overnight. If you want to ski the day you arrive, you might want to get it sorted out beforehand.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nspatafora
They would typically do it quickly, but if they are really backed up they might insist that you leave the skis overnight. If you want to ski the day you arrive, you might want to get it sorted out beforehand.
If you Bring a 6pack in a plain brown bag tends to expedite the process
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman
Hmm. The AC3 is a fairly stiff ski. I'm 50lbs heavier (6' and 205 lbs) and ski the 170cm. At lease try the 163cm. The AC3 should be a fairly nimble ski, a bit more versatile than the 5*. I think dawcatching in his review skied the 177 and commented that he needed the 170. IMO, ski this one short.

I guess I'm to late, but If you can, get the AC3 in 163 for your size. I'm 5' 11" 190lbs I ski the AC4 in 170cm. AX3 in 170cm. My G3 in 177cm I only use when I want to do high speed runs.

I bought the G3's 177cm after my G31's 178cm after my G30's 178cm. When I began to work on my skiing and learn how to get forward and use the whole ski I found the 177cm was to much ski for me. You may be fine on the AC3 in 170cm if you don't know how to use the tips. Which ever you decide on take a few lessons and learn how to use the whole ski. You will be amazed at the G forces you can get out of the ski.

I'll go along with Phil, on bringing a six pack, Brownies work well, and lets not forget about Pizza.
post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the advice guys, I ordered the 163 in the end and think I will be more comfortable with shorter skis (I ski on 160-165 rental skis all the time).

6 packs + pizza sounds like an excellent way to expedite the process.... I'll bring extra 6 packs to make sure I don't drink them all before getting to the shop
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat
I'll bring extra 6 packs to make sure I don't drink them all before getting to the shop
. Bring a third for the cop when he pulls you over.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Need Advice on New Ski Purchase.....Volkl AC3?