New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Copper VS Winterpark?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
If you had a one day pass at Copper or Winterpark Where would you go and why?
If some of yall could share some feedback that would be great. I have a free day of skiing at Copper or Winterpark and have not been to either and want to get the most from the pass..
Thanks,
John..
post #2 of 17
They are ... different.

Winter Park is, in my opinion, an intermediate mountain. Mary Jane, on the other hand, is an expert bump mountain. If you want to ski bumps all day, head to MJ/WP.

Copper, on the other hand, has (IMO) a bit more extreme terrain. If you want steeps, then Copper is the place for you. If you are looking for intermediate groomers, then I'd guess either one will do.

Mike
post #3 of 17
Don't know Copper, but Mary Jane has newly thinned (past summer) tree skiing that is really wonderful. Much of it is not marked, but it's easy enough to find and explore and ranges frome hero-intermediate to rock outcroppings and steep. The hike-to cirque is plenty steep but it is a schlepp. The chutes are plenty steep too, but not always open. There are moderately steep runs all over the mountain, some with short steeper pitches, but it's true that they are not "extreme". Still, good challenge (for me at least!). Mary Jane has a great home-town hill feel. Winter Park is more family oriented and resort-like. The bumps on Mary Jane are great because they are generally skied by people who know their stuff, so they tend to form more rythmic, round bumps. If you are newish to bumps, Over 'n Underwood on the Winter Park side is the perfect practice your bumps run: goes from bimps to bumps and back again.
post #4 of 17
Wp/Jane typically has better snow conditions, especially if there’s been an upslope recently. Copper has a little better terrain.
post #5 of 17
Winterpark/MJ has steeper terrain than Copper, but you have to earn it. Vasquez Cirque and the Mary Jane chutes are steeper than anything at Copper. Just drop into Awe or Jeff's chute and you'll see. If you make the hike out to the Cirque, check out the alphabets and get a run down or around Waterfall. Making laps back there is time consuming. 1 1/2 to 2 hours. At Copper you got single lift servied terrain on just about everything except the runs off of Storm King, Union Meadows, and Tucker Mtn.
post #6 of 17
It really depends on when you're going.

If it's a weekday I'll usually take advantage of the smaller crowds and go to Copper. On the weekends Mary Jane is your best bet for crowd dodging.

If it's Spring then the upslope storms favor Winter Park/MJ.

The steeper stuff is more accessible at Copper than MJ (more "schlepping" there as has been said).

The trees are definitely better at MJ IMO (especially since the thinning), but there's also some great trees off the Cirque and at the top of Pioneer (Stagecoach trees).

For moguls there's lots of good stuff on Mary Jane, but my new favorite mogul run is actually Balch on the WP side - this is the run the Winter Park mogul team uses for training and IMO has the most perfectly stacked and shaped mogul field I think you'll find. If you see some guys whizzing by at about mach 2 then you've found the right place.

I don't spend much time on blue cruisers, but I think both places have a good mix - the cool thing about Copper is how the mountain naturally segregates skiers by ability with beginners at skiers' left, intermediates in the middle, and advanced to skiers' right.

I like both (have my season pass for both) and really you can't go wrong with either.
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the feedback. A little about what we are looking for. I will be skiing with my wife and we both feel comfortable skiing runs up through single diamond blacks. We are not great at moguls, but we are working on them, we like to spend about 20% of our time on them. I like steep and little bumps to do little jumps off of. We are really just looking for some long runs to just carve up. We also like a mountain with a diversity of runs. We will be skiing this coming Tuesday.
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler
For moguls there's lots of good stuff on Mary Jane, but my new favorite mogul run is actually Balch on the WP side - this is the run the Winter Park mogul team uses for training and IMO has the most perfectly stacked and shaped mogul field I think you'll find. If you see some guys whizzing by at about mach 2 then you've found the right place.
i agree.

i also love outrigger.
post #9 of 17
I think if both are unfamiliar to you and it's strictly a one-day shoot, then WP/MJ will be easier to explore and find fun in. Copper takes a bit of learning.

WP is also easier at the base, for parking, shuttle access and getting your pass validated.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganne
I think if both are unfamiliar to you and it's strictly a one-day shoot, then WP/MJ will be easier to explore and find fun in. Copper takes a bit of learning.

WP is also easier at the base, for parking, shuttle access and getting your pass validated.
Sorry Meganne, but I have to disagree. Copper's layout really helps people who aren't that familiar with the mountain avoid trouble (since the level of the runs is so segregated across the peaks). As long as you stick to certain lifts within one of the areas you'd be able to ski everything there. At WP/MJ you can easily make a wrong turn (or miss a turn) and end up somewhere you might not want to be.

As far as transportation and amenities once again Copper wins in my book. The tram system at Copper is probably the best in Summit County - although I prefer to park at Utah beach at MJ (but you have to get there early - except on weekdays). The WP bus system leaves a lot to be desired. There's also more restaurants and ticket windows at Copper.

Rockdude - My recommendation for a Tuesday is to go to Copper - I really think you'll have a better day of it there.

P.S. I just checked the weather report and we may be getting hit with up to a half a foot of new snow on Tuesday. If you're not familiar with driving over Berthoud Pass (to get to WP/MJ) then there's another good reason to go to Copper - stick to I-70.
post #11 of 17

Go to Copper Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdude
Thanks for all the feedback. A little about what we are looking for. I will be skiing with my wife and we both feel comfortable skiing runs up through single diamond blacks. We are not great at moguls, but we are working on them, we like to spend about 20% of our time on them. I like steep and little bumps to do little jumps off of. We are really just looking for some long runs to just carve up. We also like a mountain with a diversity of runs. We will be skiing this coming Tuesday.

While they are both totally excellent, I sense you should start by doing laps on the Timberline chair at Copper Mountain. You can usually see which runs have some moguls on it from the chair.

If you go to WP, try out the runs Rusty recommends - he won't steer you wrong. Sometimes Gambler has some easier moguls, too.

If you end up on the MJ side, start out on Roundhouse. If its not too windy, go up to the top - again the Timberline (same name, different resort!), the view is fantastic. Take a few minutes at the top to look around. If you want more moguls, try Trestle.

You can't go wrong at either place.
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurking bear
Sometimes Gambler has some easier moguls, too.
"gambler" along with "aces and eights" are both superb runs off the pioneer chair and are great choices on a busy day.
post #13 of 17
Copper Mountain , easy to get to and lots of terrain
Advanced on one side, beginner on the other, and intermediate in the middle
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz
Winterpark/MJ has steeper terrain than Copper, but you have to earn it. Vasquez Cirque and the Mary Jane chutes are steeper than anything at Copper. Just drop into Awe or Jeff's chute and you'll see. If you make the hike out to the Cirque, check out the alphabets and get a run down or around Waterfall. Making laps back there is time consuming. 1 1/2 to 2 hours. At Copper you got single lift servied terrain on just about everything except the runs off of Storm King, Union Meadows, and Tucker Mtn.
Ditto
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdude
Thanks for all the feedback. A little about what we are looking for. I will be skiing with my wife and we both feel comfortable skiing runs up through single diamond blacks. We are not great at moguls, but we are working on them, we like to spend about 20% of our time on them. I like steep and little bumps to do little jumps off of. We are really just looking for some long runs to just carve up. We also like a mountain with a diversity of runs. We will be skiing this coming Tuesday.
Oh, nevermind. Copper then.
post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
We went to Copper Yesterday, We had a ball, Thanks for the help,

John.
post #17 of 17
No brainer, Winterpark,,,    Snow is always better, when copper gets a dusting, Winterpark gets 3-6 inches etc....    It's WAY easier to get to if you live in Denver than Copper, Don't get me wrong Copper is a great Mtn, but if I had a choice, (which I did every day I lived in Denver for 15 years)  I went to Winterpark, A Basin, Keystone, Brek, if I ever ventured towards Copper I just drove the extra 20 minutes to Vail....     Vail is the %#%    Just my opinion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel