or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Car Question...

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 
Current vehicle is a 2002 Chevy Sivlerado Z71. I LOVE my truck but the gas is killing me. I am feeding this beast about $80 per week in gas.

I was looking at a 2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE last night. Looks a nice car. I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on this model Subaru?:
post #2 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atown313
Current vehicle is a 2002 Chevy Sivlerado Z71. I LOVE my truck but the gas is killing me. I am feeding this beast about $80 per week in gas.

I was looking at a 2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE last night. Looks a nice car. I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on this model Subaru?:
Subarus are the quintessential ski car. If you like the Impreza Sport check out the Saab 9-2X Linear. This is the same car underneath but classier looking IMO. You can pick one up for about the same price. The only drawback is it doesn't come with roof rails, but you can add those for about $100 or so. Many of the wagon guys take them off and sell them on Scooby forums or Ebay.

If you want real performance though you should consider the WRX or 9-2X Aero.

http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/92x/index.jsp
post #3 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattL
Subarus are the quintessential ski car. If you like the Impreza Sport check out the Saab 9-2X Linear. This is the same car underneath but classier looking IMO.
What???

Saab makes Subaru???

Anyway, why not go hybrid. Live the future now...





Couldn't resist - my old neighbourhood is on the map!


post #4 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool
What???

Saab makes Subaru???
Actually it's the other way around. It's called a "Saabaru".
post #5 of 46
Of course you have to start wearing Birkenstocks and develop a love for granola :-)
post #6 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP
Of course you have to start wearing Birkenstocks and develop a love for granola :-)
Like Leonardo DiCaprio, Cameron Diaz, Will Ferrell, etc?

You've got the wrong stereotype this time.
post #7 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool
Like Leonardo DiCaprio, Cameron Diaz, Will Ferrell, etc?

You've got the wrong stereotype this time.
It was a joke. Sheesh. Actually, I think they are great cars. I plan to take a look at them next year when my lease is up, although I hope to stick with an American product. Who knows.

Sorry to offend.
post #8 of 46
Suberaab or Saabaru

Anyway it'll be fine I'm on my 3rd Saab and they are one great ski car --always start and track thru anything i've driven in,including beaucoup whiteouts and -75 windchill!
post #9 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atown313
Current vehicle is a 2002 Chevy Sivlerado Z71. I LOVE my truck but the gas is killing me. I am feeding this beast about $80 per week in gas.

I was looking at a 2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE last night. Looks a nice car. I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on this model Subaru?:
PM me, a manage a Subaru dealer.
post #10 of 46
Phil takes care of Bears. If you want a Subee, definitely give him a call.
post #11 of 46
Everyone I know that has owned a recent (within about 5 years) Subaru has loved em and been VERY surprised at how well they handle in the snow. In terms of Hybrids, the only problem, in my opinion, is that a hybrid that offers 4WD often doesn't offer much fuel savings, just look at the difference between the Sierra 1500 and Sierra 1500 Hybrid (it was about 3 mpg better). In terms of fuel savings, your best bet is probably an AWD car like Subaru.
post #12 of 46
Hybrids are only cost effective if you drive a lot of city/stop and go miles. The WRX is a nice ride, but way more power than you really need, in that size car.
post #13 of 46
We have the Saabaru and love it. It is a blast to drive. It is reasonably economical although no comparison to a fwd of the same size. With the manual transmission, it feels pretty peppy. The handling is predictable and fun. We've had no problem getting through stuff, but we have studs on it because that is the thing to do up here. It is not the most sophisticated awd system I have owned. It seems to spin the rears when starting out. It does allow some fishtailing fun that way, but it doesn't have that instant tank like grip of some systems. The Subaru and the Saab version are very, very similar. With the Saab, you get a slightly different suspension tuning, some different sheet metal, a longer warranty, some free service and maybe a couple other luxury label freebies. The down side is that if you damage any of the unique sheetmetal, it will probably be much worse for getting fixed. It doesn't matter which label is on the car, it is a good car. Go see if Phil can fix you up. I highly recommend it (the car, not Phil - although he seems like an good guy).
post #14 of 46
Has the reliability of the 2500CC Subaru engine improved? I heard a few recent horror stories about blown head gasket issues that the ultra reliable 2000CC engine never had.
post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manus
Everyone I know that has owned a recent (within about 5 years) Subaru has loved em
I hate my Subaru and would never buy another one. The engine has always run rough and no one has been able to fix it.

Quote:
and been VERY surprised at how well they handle in the snow.
They are amazing in the snow but I'd bet any AWD with a low center of gravity would be just as good.

Steve
post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisman
Has the reliability of the 2500CC Subaru engine improved? I heard a few recent horror stories about blown head gasket issues that the ultra reliable 2000CC engine never had.
O PLEASE u hear horror story of any brand from people but does it happen to you. My fathers 1998 2.5RS impreza with 130K and that cars still feels like new. In the other hand my PT cruiser at 70k miles and everything is falling apart. the pastic interior panels are rattling the engine feel exhausted the bmpers falling off, oil is getting into the spark plugs and gasket almost blown if I haven't check etc.......

I'll say u'll be safe with a subaru but have u consider getting the forester XT or the Impreza WRX?
post #17 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisman
Has the reliability of the 2500CC Subaru engine improved? I heard a few recent horror stories about blown head gasket issues that the ultra reliable 2000CC engine never had.
My wife's 97 was just diagnosed with a head gasket. That's why we sold it. Replaced it with an outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breckview
I hate my Subaru and would never buy another one. The engine has always run rough and no one has been able to fix it.
What year? Our '96 used to idle a bit rough too. I always thought it wasn't the motor, but the tranny (or maybe a motor mount). If you were to shift it up to neutral, it was fine...

I still think that they are the best car for snow country and we own 2...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitSuperEgo
Hybrids are only cost effective if you drive a lot of city/stop and go miles. The WRX is a nice ride, but way more power than you really need, in that size car.
That's only if you think about the cost of fuel at todays prices. I'm considering a hybrid not because of mileage, but because of C02 emissions. There's more than one reason to go hybrid. When we replace our 01 outback in a year or 2, we'll most likley go hybrid with that vehicle...

L
post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool
Like Leonardo DiCaprio, Cameron Diaz, Will Ferrell, etc?

You've got the wrong stereotype this time.
Yes praise the celebrities because they use Hybrids : It’s quite ironic that the celebrities think they are doing something for the environment yet they keep using their private jets. A private jet uses more fuel on an NYC-LAX trip then a Hummer H2 does in an entire year! But it’s those SUV drivers that are polluting this world? Sorry for the rant but the celebes definitely aren't doing anything for the environment if they keep using their private jets.
post #19 of 46
Honda CRV 4WD. My sister just bought one and she loves it. CRV gets around 25 MPG, which is about what you get in a Subaru Outback. I believe the Outback calls for high test gas. Best thing about Hondas is their low maintenance and high resale value.

I have a Honda Accord EX 5 spd standard that is awsome and gets 31 MPG. With good snow tires it goes through most anything I need it to get through. Back seat has a flip down ski slot or the entire back seat flips down (no 60/40 split). Acura TSX has a nice 60/40 split back seat.

FYI - Honda does assemble them in a number of auto plants in the United States.

All that said I have seen 5 vehicles that were either AWD and 4WD versus one Subaru outback in 2 miles of 2 week old 1.5 feet of snow. No contest Subaru Outback won.

There is always the VW Jeta 1.8 TDI Diesel that gets 40+ MPG. No AWD
post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by breckview
They are amazing in the snow but I'd bet any AWD with a low center of gravity would be just as good.

Steve
Read a recent winter road test of 6 4WD cars by a German car mag.

Audi (Quatro) came out top. Mercedes and Skoda were close behind.
In the test the Subaru, BMW and Chrsysler didn't perform as good as the above.
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie
What year? Our '96 used to idle a bit rough too. I always thought it wasn't the motor, but the tranny (or maybe a motor mount). If you were to shift it up to neutral, it was fine...
Mine's a 2000. The problem is something to do with the computer/fuel injectors/gear sensors. It will run perfect for a month and then horrible for a month like a switch has gone off. Shift into Neutral and it's fine. The dealer spent years trying to fix it and then eventually told me to get lost...

Steve
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp daddy
Suberaab or Saabaru

Anyway it'll be fine I'm on my 3rd Saab and they are one great ski car --always start and track thru anything i've driven in,including beaucoup whiteouts and -75 windchill!
Yeah, Saabs are great. But the car discussed here isn't a Saab.. It's a Subie with a Saab emblem on it.
It's not even sold over here...

BTW: Little trivia for you... Do you know what Saab is short for?
post #23 of 46

Saab

My wife has a 2004 station wagon and I occasionally take to the slopes and it really goes well. Reliability has been rock solid so far. Heated seats are just to nice! There has to be more subaru's in Boulder Colorado than the rest of the USA.
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Swede

BTW: Little trivia for you... Do you know what Saab is short for?
what
post #25 of 46

Subies are good

I've had a 2000 Legacy Wagon (GT) since 9/99 and it's been great. 100K miles on a 2.5 liter engine. Excellent handling in the snow/rain, but it's a little slow with an auto tranny (165 hp). Get a stick if you're getting the 2.5 engine. Even better, get one with a stick & a turbo engine (250 hp) and then you can control your fuel economy and speed.
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Swede
BTW: Little trivia for you... Do you know what Saab is short for?
Something A$$holes Always Buy - I said this joke to my old boss, then remembered she drove a SAAB - oops

Now I've heard the same things with the SAAB-Subaru relations, but didn't GM also purchase about a 20% share of Subaru as well (a couple years ago in order to possibly take advantage of their AWD system). Something to keep in mind when people think about the Audi Quatro and Subaru AWD systems is that in recent years (and my friends back east rally race so they paid a lot of attention to this) Audi's Quatro was rated a little better, but substantially more money to fix if any problem arose. From my friends that rally race, the price difference in repairs didn't justify the benefits (slight) of the Audi system.

In Subarus, you also have to look at which vehicles have rear wheel preferance, and which have front wheel drive preferance. I believe the WRX, STI, and a couple others have a rear wheel drive biased AWD system (which could explain any potential washout and wheel spining).

Also, one thing I would wonder in higher altitudes (where I assume Breckview is from based on the name) how the lower octane gases would affect the Subaru's engine (specifically the turbo's, don't they require 93 octane? I haven't seen 93 in CO yet, only as high as 91).
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
PM me, a manage a Subaru dealer.
Phil, do you manage the dealer or the dealership? I would like to manage a dealer! LewBob
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manus
Something A$$holes Always Buy - I said this joke to my old boss, then remembered she drove a SAAB - oops

Now I've heard the same things with the SAAB-Subaru relations, but didn't GM also purchase about a 20% share of Subaru as well (a couple years ago in order to possibly take advantage of their AWD system). Something to keep in mind when people think about the Audi Quatro and Subaru AWD systems is that in recent years (and my friends back east rally race so they paid a lot of attention to this) Audi's Quatro was rated a little better, but substantially more money to fix if any problem arose. From my friends that rally race, the price difference in repairs didn't justify the benefits (slight) of the Audi system.

In Subarus, you also have to look at which vehicles have rear wheel preferance, and which have front wheel drive preferance. I believe the WRX, STI, and a couple others have a rear wheel drive biased AWD system (which could explain any potential washout and wheel spining).

Also, one thing I would wonder in higher altitudes (where I assume Breckview is from based on the name) how the lower octane gases would affect the Subaru's engine (specifically the turbo's, don't they require 93 octane? I haven't seen 93 in CO yet, only as high as 91).
gm sold it shares of subbie in oct and toyota bought those shares in nov.
all subbies have rear torque bias. as for vw theyre nothing more then FWD veichles

and for your octane question, different states rate them differently. A 93 octane in NY might be 91 in CO. when in doubt just get the good shit
post #29 of 46
Regarding octane requirements.... The different states don't rate them differently, different states just have different requirements regarding additives and maximum octane levels. Mountain states at higher altitudes use different blends which effects the octane. Also, since the octane level in fuel essentially describes how much the fuel can be compressed before igniting, a lower octane fuel can be used at higher altitudes. In modern cars with pre-detonation sensors the timing can be automatically retarded to prevent pre-detonation, or knocking. So for a turbo charged car, depending on which one of course, the engine computer and sensors will decrease the turbo boost (psi) and retard the timing to prevent damage. This may cause a small performance loss.

I'm not a chemical engineer or anything so the octane explanation may be a little off. Oh, and for most cars, it's a waste of money to get higher octane fuel. You will see no performance improvement unless you have an engine tuned for higher performance, or you regularly experience pre-detonation.

Oh, now back to skiing.........
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuhl
There has to be more subaru's in Boulder Colorado than the rest of the USA.
Have you been to SLC? Larry H. Miller has the worlds largest Subaru dealership in Sandy, UT.

L
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion