New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What have you done to me

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
OK you lot - YES YOU :*Pointing finger*:

what have you gone & done...

here I am happily watching olympic ice dancing & what do I find?

I'm watching their damn feet!

I mean - what is this crap?

I NEVER watch parts - only the whole... I seem to have had this problem with seeing more than a "complete picture" for .... I dunno .. maybe my whole life....

even when told to watch xxxx (like feet) i was singularly POOR at it...
Now I find in the regular speed sections I am watching feet twist around....

What gives with THAT? It should be too fast for me to see (OK I am NOT seeing detail but i am seeing change of direction in the not fast bits & i never could really watch that before)

I'm blaming you lot & the MA threads....
because for the life of me I cannot see what else it could be....

somehow my eyes are tracking better than before....

(Side note... cousin & his wife are top notch eye specialists & she is particularly interested in how I ski etc as they are skiers... i have mentioned my poor tracking ability re speed & distance - like to judge how fast i am closing to an object or vice versa - she has always sworn that as with other stuff I will compensate better with enough practice at the right sort of stuff.... just we did not know what "right sort of stuff" would be)
post #2 of 20
Bwahahahahahaha!

Vee haf vays!

Bwahahahahahaha!

post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
: it's evil and sneaky so it is....
post #4 of 20
I knew I had the MA bug bad when one summer I started doing MA on golfers at the driving range. eeeeuuuuuu

Must be something in the water.
post #5 of 20
Disski, Mabe a better question wound be "What have I become?" While some of us suggest things here, that takes second place to the learning that is happening here. Don't be afraid to take credit for your learning. After all it is never about the teacher, it's about the student's willingness to learn.
post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
T-square

yeah - the bit that got to me was i was watching their feet/legs versus the upper body.... (: looking for counter? )

I suddenly realised i had no idea why I was doing this and was not really aware that I was.... just all of a sudden I notice i am watching the relationship between the 2 halves and am especially watching FEET... what are FEET doing.... :

It sort of spoils getting into the mood of the whole thing

It really freaks me out that I
a) am capable of this now
b) am DOING it unaware
c) have no idea WHEN/HOW/WHY etc this ability appeared.... no sign of this previously..... one reason I dislike watching sport on TV is I struggle to watch balls travel etc etc etc... I can handle PEOPLE sports better than ball ones because i can get a "feel" for what people are doing via the whole picture .... but have no idea about balls... even in slow motion I often struggle to track them well enough to understand.... I do better with soccer if I have a "commentator" to tell me where to watch... but the ball is much larger and they slow motion it well...
Cricket, tennis etc is a dead loss because it is soooo hard to tell what is going on.... the sea gulls are the most interesting part of cricket matches!
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherskipro
Disski, Mabe a better question wound be "What have I become?" While some of us suggest things here, that takes second place to the learning that is happening here. Don't be afraid to take credit for your learning. After all it is never about the teacher, it's about the student's willingness to learn.


ummm - but Jasp i was not TRYING to learn MA....
just to understand skiing better....

the detailed MA bits sort of make my eyes glaze over....
I just like to read the explanations about technical parts of skiing & try to understand what is said based on my understanding of skiing & how it happens.... It makes me question my understanding & gives me ideas of the "holes" to go fill in with my instructors when I get a chance....I reserve that sort of questioning for long chair rides with the more technical instructors (staatliche, race coaches etc) ....

I was even LESS trying to train my eyes to see FEET....

However I am pretty sure that is what brain was doing... processing how feet related to the "spinning" and direction changes and the upper body connection.... I have no conscious thought of any of that.... Just a vague impression like when you wake from a dream....
post #8 of 20
Actually. Funny you should mention this. I noticed the same thing about myself the other night.
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by disski
ummm - but Jasp i was not TRYING to learn MA....
just to understand skiing better....

the detailed MA bits sort of make my eyes glaze over....
I just like to read the explanations about technical parts of skiing & try to understand what is said based on my understanding of skiing & how it happens.... It makes me question my understanding & gives me ideas of the "holes" to go fill in with my instructors when I get a chance....I reserve that sort of questioning for long chair rides with the more technical instructors (staatliche, race coaches etc) ....

I was even LESS trying to train my eyes to see FEET....

However I am pretty sure that is what brain was doing... processing how feet related to the "spinning" and direction changes and the upper body connection.... I have no conscious thought of any of that.... Just a vague impression like when you wake from a dream....
Umm Disski,
A trained eye is just more experienced and allows you to notice the details that everyone sees but few notice.
post #10 of 20

miles n miles = smiles n smiles

Your feet have always been there just waiting to be noticed .... of course an in tune instructor with just a hint of sarcasm will now tell you tooo ....... look ahead and feel your feet.

I hav a theory on this latest breakthrough .......

Well done Diss
post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
Thanks Jasp...

MfOz - what is this theory?
post #12 of 20
Disski,

You may not have seen it or consciously noted it, but during one of the rare times when I could not change the channel fast enough after the ice skating came on (cough), the announcers were directing the viewers to watch the feet. It's all their fault.
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by disski
OK you lot - YES YOU :*Pointing finger*:

what have you gone & done...

here I am happily watching olympic ice dancing & what do I find?

I'm watching their damn feet!

I mean - what is this crap?

I NEVER watch parts - only the whole... I seem to have had this problem with seeing more than a "complete picture" for .... I dunno .. maybe my whole life....

even when told to watch xxxx (like feet) i was singularly POOR at it...
Now I find in the regular speed sections I am watching feet twist around....

What gives with THAT? It should be too fast for me to see (OK I am NOT seeing detail but i am seeing change of direction in the not fast bits & i never could really watch that before)

I'm blaming you lot & the MA threads....
because for the life of me I cannot see what else it could be....

somehow my eyes are tracking better than before....

(Side note... cousin & his wife are top notch eye specialists & she is particularly interested in how I ski etc as they are skiers... i have mentioned my poor tracking ability re speed & distance - like to judge how fast i am closing to an object or vice versa - she has always sworn that as with other stuff I will compensate better with enough practice at the right sort of stuff.... just we did not know what "right sort of stuff" would be)
You're watching their feet ?
That's sick...

post #14 of 20
disski,

First a question. Are you skiing better?

If the answer is yes, and it better be, then you are probably more aware of what your own feet, legs, and body are doing as you ski. (I know that you have been concentrating on this over the years.)

As you become more aware of yourself, you become more aware of the same things in others. This is going to sound silly, however, you finally found your feet and now you notice that, by gum, other people have feet too. (Don't you dare start off on an adaptive route about feet with me right now. We can have that discussion later.)

Wait till you become more experienced as a skiier and you start noticing all the little things that affect skiing performance. You'll know that you have gone over the deep edge when you are on the chairlift, watching people below you, and you automatically do movement analysis on them. You know you are in bad company when the other people on the chair are participating in the MA discussion.

You know that you are terminal when you go back to your ski house and as part of the evening discussion you stand up and start demoing skiing movements.
post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
T-square...

the answer would have to be NO... I am skiing the worst I have skied in years... (about 2-3 to be as precise as possible)....

BUT that said it is the LEAST amount of ski time I have ever had & I am sorely missing my regular instructors (who know what to direct my mish-mash brain waves towards to get best results from me).... also I ski my best (obviously) in my NORMAL setting... my skis, my instructors,my home resort(know each curve and bump and rock almost by name)....

If you take into account that I am skiing conditions I hate (it damn well kept snowing at Snowbird and i hate fresh snow).... and unfamiliar terrain with no instructor or unfamiliar instructors than yes I am skiing well - because this is almost hell on snow for me! and I AM skiing... in fact I did TURN in the soft snow - & repeated that!

The only decent turns I feel I have made recently were on my last day on snow - I managed to repeatedly ski out some decent short radius turns - whole sections of same without losing the plot part way (one of my favourite party tricks - i have been admonished to HANG IN and keep the turns going NO MATTER WHAT... for about 3-4 years... it is finally starting to come as I did that ) .... runs of good short turns and few bad turns (odd bobbles but no real getting back or off in the skiiing... just consistent strong turns...) OK I could be BETTER.... but for me this is good... I recognise turns my staatliche would pay as OK in how they felt.... he would want to up the ante re terrain.... but the turns were good and strong(technical)...

I do recognise however that simply for me to ski at Snowbird versus sit in sno crying like the first day... was a plus.... and that my recent lesson adventure in Argentiere did have some good skiing when the instructor decided to push me and see what I had in me in the longer turns.... although I was very uncomfortable on strange skis...

so i am guessing that returning me home would result in a jump in the skiing.... as I am more reliant on me here and less on others feedback...

also i know I have had a few bouts of ski sickness with that fresh snow (i get this when I try to process new data) and one at Argentiere....

Also MUCH surf sickness last summer in australia...

So the guess is you could be right because all the xxx sickness indicates I was building new brain pathways flat out (I get very nauseous every time I have a lot of data to process because my crazy brain does it while awake & i replay all the days moves while I am doing other things.... 2 lots of disparate input lead to intense disorientation)
post #16 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Square
. This is going to sound silly, however, you finally found your feet and now you notice that, by gum, other people have feet too. .

i guess this is it.... because it is logical that this is the situation... just does not feel that way.... like I don't FEEL different in how I MOVE....

contrast when I was an intermediate I could FEEL changes in my balance ability happening... I FELT more secure walking around than ever before.... Hiking felt different.... I wanted SKIS on my feet more often and boots less so....the skis felt more controllable suddenly
post #17 of 20
This is interesting disski,

As I view your videos (while editing) I see changes in your movement patterns that are for the better not worse.

Something I have noticed in my skiing. As I get stronger and hopefully better, I find I feel like my skiing is getting worse. Then I go look at video and begin to realize that my skiing is actually getting smoother and more efficient instead of what feels like more corrections and gross movements.

We talked a little about this in our group and I think I have found that as I become MORE aware of smaller and more precise movements, and as my core becomes more stable, I find myself thinking my skiing is getting worse until I actually see the changes..

DC
post #18 of 20
Thread Starter 
you have video of me at home 2 years ago dchan?

That is what T-square is asking - is my skiing getting better...

Not did I get more comfortable over the 4 days skiing out of my comfort zone..... which is a whole different thing...

Or did I start to get some "ski feet" back after the 4 days on snow....
Or etc etc etc
post #19 of 20
From day one to day four at the academy your movement patterns changed. From what I see, for the better.

If you don't count that as improvement that's your choice. I didn't say it has to feel better, or more comfortable, I'm just making observation..

DC
post #20 of 20
Thread Starter 
That is simply me starting to get some feel for being on snow back... or in the academy situation getting comfortable in a situation in which I was MOST unhappy and uncomfortable the first day.....

That is why I was asking for help to get my skiing "dialled in" again....

As I said - I lose a LOT more every time off skis than most... because I am so reliant on movement patterns that have to be memorised....

Any non-permanent movement (no brain pathways cemented yet) will sort of "disappear" with time off snow.... It is easier to "relearn" than to learn from scratch... because i have some recognition of what i am trying to achieve.... but it is still hard....

the rest of you have what i have plus a whole set of inputs that I am missing - so you can more readily "adjust on the fly".... you can try "more extension" and tell if it works... I have no idea if I even DID "more extension" or "less extension" unless someone gets me a BIG mirror (or i can watch my legs - which is NOT good for skiing purposes but OK standing in one spot on a slope!) so recognising a "better turn" only lets me know it was better - not if what I did worked... (Oh to know what I actually DID!)

The "advantage" if you will of how I learn is that ONCE permanent my stuff is VERY set... I have no "other way" to do it.... My body knows no better and does not self adjust much...

ask weems about the arms.... they used to always be behind me - the cure is what you can see on the videos... weems was asking me about them... it may have taken years but you will almost never see my hand behind me now - because as soon as something goes wrong I am looking for my hands to get them back where they "live" .....



I CAN recognise when I ski WELL... I know what good turns feel like...purely from a "how ski feels on snow" perspective.... I just have no idea what I do to get that feeling a lot of the time..... I also know I did some - a week after the academy skiing with a disabled instructor.... that plus a day of lessons the day before that and I was starting to dial my movements back together...
VERY different turns to any at the academy....

I can tell you that my first day on snow you will see a "radical" improvement if i ski with my regular instructors at my home resort... with an hour or two they will start to have me dialled in again... within a couple of days I will get comfortable and again you will see changes...
THAT is just me "warming up" my feedback loops if you will... starting to recognise stuff again & be able to use it consciuosly & then hopefully non-consciously for motor control feedback....

Give me a big fright or upset and you will see an immediate regression.... the race dept guys laugh when they can see I have been scared... my instructor says they will ask him what happened - because they KNOW how I am skiing at any point in season and can see the upset take effect.... it is usually a day or two to get settled again...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching