EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Park City Questions-- need suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Park City Questions-- need suggestions

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
We ( my wife & I ) are heading to Park City on this coming Saturday(2/25) for a week, we will be staying at the Raddison in PArk CIty . We will ski 5 of the 6 days while we are there.

It is out first trip to SLC area --- the last 7 years we skied Banff (Lake Louise and Sunshine Village. ) I normally get in 11- 15 days a year --- she skis about 5 per year

Wife is a green skier with some easy blues thrown in. We are starting Sunday the 26th at Deer Valley --- I figure it will help build her confidence.

I am a blue/black skier but not good in the bumps. In the east I enjoy blues and blacks and some double blacks (in not covered with big bumps)
then I am looking at PMCR one day - possibly

maybe one at the canyons if you think it would provide enough easier terrain for my wife

also looking for suggestions for the other 2 days -- I am not sold on PMCR
so maybe even 3 choices ---We will have a car

any advice/suggestions would be appreciated....

we usually do not ski together but get together for Lunch and may a run or two later in the day.

also if any other Bears want to get together for a few turns that would be awesome(drop me an e-mail)

Thanks in advance I know some of these questions border on redundancy -- and you all have shown great patience as I have been reading all SLC posts for several months now.....

mike
post #2 of 24
Try this thread. First time to the SLC area and I am staying at Midvale/Sandy. I am like you in that I am an intermediate/advanced skier and not extreme in the least! Lots of good ideas here...

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=37149
post #3 of 24
We just returned from Park City & Snowbird. I haven't been to Utah in 5 years and I was very surprised how much Park City has changed.

As far as skiing goes, since you have a car you should definitely check out Solitude and Snowbasin. There is easy terrain at both and each has a very distinct vibe.

A great Mexican restaurant in SLC is the Red Iguana. It has a huge menu and really good food. I will definitely go again next time I am in town. The Wasatch brew pub makes a great Margarita upstairs.
post #4 of 24
I wouldn't sell Park City resort short. My wife and I are about the same as you and your wife. We skied Deer Valley, Park City and the Canyons and we both enjoyed Park City the most. Sadly, we asked a couple of people about Snowbasin and they spooked my wife so we did not get there. I suggest you give it a shot. Have fun.
post #5 of 24
Mike,
Based on what you have said, I think both of you would really enjoy Alta, Solitude and Snowbasin. Of these three, I would probably go to Alta first, as I believe they have more green terrain than the other two. The Albion Basin area would be an excellent start for your wife. Once she tries that area, the next area to try would be blue terrain from the Sugarloaf chair.
Solitude has a lot of very wide cruising areas that she can try. Snowbasin has lots and lots of very long blue runs. If she is comfortable on other blue terrain in Utah, she will be fine at Snowbasin.
Also, all of these would be very easy to pick a meeting place for lunch. If you go to Snowbasin and it's a clear day, eat at either the John Paul Lodge or the Needles Lodge. The views from either are spectacular (and the food is great as well!)

Dan
post #6 of 24
Thread Starter 
snowbasin does sound intruiging..... appreciate the feed back so far ... it helps me decide as right now I feel like a kid in a candy store.... I am sure it is all good but trying to do the right thing with 5 days of skiing.

keep it coming
post #7 of 24
Snowbasin is intruiging because it is owned by some multi-billionair oil baron who built these luxurious day lodges and two nice gondolas that speed you up the mountain. the chairs are usually totally empty. it's a first class operation, can't really compare it to deer valley because thurs will be my first time there. the mountain is nice too. it all faces pretty much the same way and is one big wide swath. The mountain is an intermediates paradise, some moguls but not really a mogul skiers paradise for sure, but there is tons of off trail skiing. plenty of adanced/expert terrain, but not the % that LCC has. also, it has never been crowded whatsoever when i've been there, and you can find powder after a storm more than the others. most people on this forum give a big thumbs up to snowbasin, no controversy.
post #8 of 24
Any tips on what is the "rule of thumb" if there is a storm? I thought I remembered if it is foggy/cloudy that Snowbasin will also be foggy/cloudy.

We are heading to PC the first weekend in March and plan on skiing Snowbasin because of the great reviews on the terrain and the lodge(s). Deer Valley is also on the agenda along with ????
post #9 of 24
>I thought I remembered if "it" is foggy/cloudy that Snowbasin will also be foggy/cloudy.

Depends on where "it" is, it can be snowing at one resort and not the other.
post #10 of 24
I wouldn't be to concerned about the foggy/cloudy situation at Snowbasin. Any mountain can be foggy in a storm. The Cottonwood Canyons are often in a cloud. It's one of those good news bad news things. The bad news your skiing in flat light or foggy conditions The good news is that those clouds are holding a ton of snow. On a day you want to take it easy go to Deer Valley, Skiing deer valley can almost be like a day at the country club.
post #11 of 24
Like MikeBike, Scalce and I will be in Park City the same week. I just pulled all the directions to area mountains and snowbasin is far - 70 miles! Is it that much better than Solitude, Alta, or Brighton?
post #12 of 24
70 Miles, really? I never did a trip meter on the drive but that just doesn't seem right. What were the directions that you were given? If they have you driving down to SLC then up to Ogden then i could see 70 mile drive. Best way to get to SB from PC is 248 to Hwy 40 north to I80 east take I84 to Ogden and watch for signs for the Snowbasin turnoff. Takes me about 45 mins to an hour to get there. I have done that drive a few times from my Park City Condo and I think it is worth it. There's plenty to ski around here so just pick a place and have fun.
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah49
70 Miles, really? I never did a trip meter on the drive but that just doesn't seem right. What were the directions that you were given? If they have you driving down to SLC then up to Ogden then i could see 70 mile drive. Best way to get to SB from PC is 248 to Hwy 40 north to I80 east take I84 to Ogden and watch for signs for the Snowbasin turnoff. Takes me about 45 mins to an hour to get there. I have done that drive a few times from my Park City Condo and I think it is worth it. There's plenty to ski around here so just pick a place and have fun.
Park City's website said, From Park City:
Take I-80 eastbound and exit to I-84 westbound. Proceed west on I-84 to Peterson/Mt. Green (exit #96). Turn left on Old Highway heading west to Mountain Green. Turn right on State Road 167 heading north (just east of the Sinclair station). Turn left on State Road 226 heading west and proceed approximately three miles to Snowbasin

On Map Point, this is 70 miles. After I posted this, I looked up Solitude - that's really far - almost 200 miles - does that seem right? I'm having a hard time with some directions because the resorts either don't give their address or mapping software doesn't recognize the address. I'm assuming that when we get Utah there will be an area map - is this the case?
post #14 of 24
There are no maps in Utah. They don't encourage ski tourism and make it as difficult as possible for people to find their way around. If you ask locals for directions they always send you out some road that turns to dirt and dead ends. Traveling to Utah is more confusing than touring in Outer Mongolia.

There is much to fear in Utah. it is a scary place full of mean and nasty people who just want to ruin your vacation.
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterK
There are no maps in Utah. They don't encourage ski tourism and make it as difficult as possible for people to find their way around. If you ask locals for directions they always send you out some road that turns to dirt and dead ends. Traveling to Utah is more confusing than touring in Outer Mongolia.

There is much to fear in Utah. it is a scary place full of mean and nasty people who just want to ruin your vacation.
Yet, another helpful, witty reply from MisterK.
post #16 of 24
I read mikebikes post twice after reading all the posts here and I'm begining to wonder if we are all on the same page.

Mikebikes post clearly state his wife likes greens and easy (underlined) blues....she skis 5 days a year and they list their location as Florida, and she needs confidence building.

Snowbasin ? I LOVE the place. For the misses...you guys kidding me ? Snowbasin has some of the steepest blue runs I have ever seen and not a high percentage of greens.

I think based on the original post ...she would hate the place...Mike on the other hand, would probably love it. Don't get me wrong here...the place is amazing and the facilities impecable. It just doesn't sound like her.

Keep Park City on the list mike. There is a ton there for both of you and the mrs. will like Deer Valley.
post #17 of 24
Just did PC to Snowbasin yesterday. Odometer read 59 miles. Clock read 55 minutes. Even at 100 miles it would still be worth it. SB is one of the best mountains in America. Think of it this way: how many miles do you drive to your local hill?

Powdr
post #18 of 24
Uncle L, We are talking Snowbasin not Snowbird. The Strawberry side has some really nice easy cruising runs. Even over toward John Paul there are some easy blues and some nice greens that even the lowest level Intermediate should be able to enjoy.

Xrisi, I think you need a new map. 200 miles to Solitude is at least more then a 160 miles to long. 45 mins drive time on I80 and I215 then follow the signs. Solitude is a little Jewel. I have always enjoyed skiing there.
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah49
Uncle L, We are talking Snowbasin not Snowbird. The Strawberry side has some really nice easy cruising runs. Even over toward John Paul there are some easy blues and some nice greens that even the lowest level Intermediate should be able to enjoy.
NO confusion here. I was there in January for 2 days and had a ball. I was skiing with a (then) conservative level 6.

As far as the MT. Ogden Bowl trail goes (John Paul side) and the only listed "blue" on the map. There was a section that was unable to be groomed on the upper 1/3rd of the trail about the length of 3 football fields. I had to detour with a number of long traverses over to the John Paul Trail to get my skiing partner down and it wasn't her best moments.

We started on the Bear Springs trail to get to the Strawberry side and found the top of that trail to be steep enough (compaired to most blues I've skied) to be considered an expert trail, at least on the upper section.

Same deal with the top of the Elk Ridge Trail. (The only "easy way") The first section at the top was intimidating for the person I was skiing with. I would have labeled that a blue/black myself, but Snowbasin does not use that rating...only green / blue & black.

So (take what we know on the surface) of mikebike's wife, timid - needs confidence - likes greens and EASY blues - skis 5 days a year (assuming 35 +/-) lifetime and lives in Florida.

Seeing this in the post and knowing the "tricky sections" typically in the middle section of the trails there....my vote was no.
post #20 of 24
I've skied every resort but Brighton. Solitude would be a good place as they have a mix of everything. Alta and Snowbird might be a bit intimidating for a novice. Not that they don't have green runs but are more set up for advanced skiers. Deer Valley, while not my cup of tea, has great groomed runs. I also like the Canyons, lot of stuff to ski there, the place is HUGE. The one thing you won't have to worry about is ice and the snow doesn't really allow mogul fields to form like in the east or Colorado.
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Louie
NO confusion here. I was there in January for 2 days and had a ball. I was skiing with a (then) conservative level 6.

As far as the MT. Ogden Bowl trail goes (John Paul side) and the only listed "blue" on the map. There was a section that was unable to be groomed on the upper 1/3rd of the trail about the length of 3 football fields. I had to detour with a number of long traverses over to the John Paul Trail to get my skiing partner down and it wasn't her best moments.

We started on the Bear Springs trail to get to the Strawberry side and found the top of that trail to be steep enough (compaired to most blues I've skied) to be considered an expert trail, at least on the upper section.

Same deal with the top of the Elk Ridge Trail. (The only "easy way") The first section at the top was intimidating for the person I was skiing with. I would have labeled that a blue/black myself, but Snowbasin does not use that rating...only green / blue & black.

So (take what we know on the surface) of mikebike's wife, timid - needs confidence - likes greens and EASY blues - skis 5 days a year (assuming 35 +/-) lifetime and lives in Florida.

Seeing this in the post and knowing the "tricky sections" typically in the middle section of the trails there....my vote was no.
I think you are right regarding most of the mountain, but I seem to remember the runs off of Becker & Wildcat were pretty easy (seemed like 1200-1500 vert). And on Strawberry there was a really long cat road (or at least it seemed like it) that wound down the whole side. Not alot but for a day it would be ok.
post #22 of 24
Just a heads up on the foggy comment. If it is foggy or blowing hard at Snowbasin, stay away from Strawberry. Your wife will kill you. That area has some serious problems when the clouds come in and a beginner will not be happy, possibly terrified, especially if they get a chance to look down the west side before the clouds roll in.

Other than that, have a great time, even enjoy Becker chair.
post #23 of 24
Snowbasin is an hour's drive from Park City- but hwy 84 through Morgan is one of the prettiest drives in the Rockys. Worth it. Solitude, Brighton, Snowbird and Alta are about 45 minutes- also pretty- the SLC stretch on the belt way(214) is less scenic, but once into either canyon,it's gorgeous. Sundance is 45 minutes from PC and is a little gem- good for green stuff and really great for kids. With enough little used expert terrain to keep one busy for a few days. The drive is one of America's "scenic byways" and the resort is even more beautiful than Alta- Northern Utah's best sceanery, and that's saying a lot. Redford did great there. Skied Powder yesterday morning two days after the storm and played with the kids on the lower mountain all afternoon. No crowd. Here's a pic.Don't dare feed your wife at the cafeteria. Go to the Foundry Grill. She'll love it.
post #24 of 24
More Pow porn- Bishop's bowl- Sundance
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Park City Questions-- need suggestions