EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Kids / wife sick, Killington 4-day reservations tomorrow - SHOULD WE GO?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kids / wife sick, Killington 4-day reservations tomorrow - SHOULD WE GO?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Yup, it is the worst of my winter nightmares.

Made reservations months ago for a four day Killington weekday trip that would have started monday until thursday - at the Grand Killington Hotel too! It would have been THE winter vacation for us this season. Lots of practice in local hills, hours of lessons for the kids and wife, new equipment (boots for me and wife) and reservation to demo the Metron B5 was reserved in Killington. :

However, early last week the younger girl (4 yrs) started getting the "coughings" (her term) then the older girl (7 yrs) followed suit and by Thursday they both had slight fever.

Doctor gave them flu shots last friday but by then the wife developed a fever and yesterday the whole house sounded like a cacophony of coughings and sneezings. :

This morning no one had fevers anymore and everyone felt a little better however, I am being hesitant to push through especially since it is a six hour drive from NYC.

DARN! And we were so ready to do this. Already spoke with trip insurance provide and they said they will cover it if I cancel but should I cancel? They still want to go but I am hesitant to force it because I heard temps in Killington for the next couple of days will be slightly above zero and they just might be too miserable.

What to do, what to do?:
post #2 of 18
weather isn't going to be THAT bad. Into the 20's and 30's with some snow If your kids are sick, that's one thing. Maybe take monday off because that will be the toughesdst day imho given there is some wind. But then again, I don't know how hearty you or your family is. They have been making snow and the mountain should be in better shaepe by the time you get out. And if your kids are relatively new to skiing, take them to pico.
post #3 of 18
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thanks Capboy. Kids are not new to skiing and have been doing it for two years already with hours and hours of lessons made - same with wife. However, despite that I wouldn't take them anywhere beyond the beginner slopes in Killington. Besides, paid for lift tickets in Killington already. Why do you recommend Pico? Less crowds, better and longer beginner slopes?
post #5 of 18
I ski K about 30- 40 days a year. If your kids are not going to be pounding the bumps on OL this week and are looking to do more cruising then go to Pico. Not sure how the parks are at Pico, might recommend you go to www.killingtonzone.com and PM a guy named johnnythejibber. (you can tell him you talked to me) He teaches on Sundays at Pico. Would probably give you a good idea howthe mountain is holding up there later today.

But I love Pico on holidays as the crowds are a lot less. If you are tere for 4 days, it might be worth it. Worst thing that can happen is you get back int the car and head back to K. Considering that you prolly bought a 4 day tickt, it can be used at Pico or K.
post #6 of 18
Don't bother with Pico, it is the red headed stepchild of Kton. It has not been neglected, but hasn't gotten attention that it needs for proper snowmaking and grooming and in this marginal year it is really obvious.

I am not sure if you can get your money back, but can you get "store credit" and either go later in the year or use it next season? How does your wife feel about staying back with the kids while you ski? There is also quite a few things around that aren't skiing related. I am sure the hotel has an awesoem pool. Sugar & Spice for a great breakfast. The Norman Rockwell Museum. And plenty of places to do some great shopping.
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thanks CB and PP,

Currently discussing this with the wife as we speak and she says go but coughing hard as she speaks. Darn, I wish it were really that simple as to just say yes. Bags have been packed since last night. So anxious to demo those Metron B5's. Will probably go this afternoon, stop for a night at Albany then head on to K by tomorrow morning. Hopefully, mother nature will be kind to my girls and give them a break. And hopefully mother nature will also knock some sense into my head and just decide to stay home. I am officially on work vacation the whole of next week so if I don't go then I will fiddle my thumbs for four days.

I know I can get that refund no problem. It is just that so much planning went into it and its sad that the common cold is ruining it all.
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist
Thanks CB and PP,

Currently discussing this with the wife as we speak and she says go but coughing hard as she speaks. Darn, I wish it were really that simple as to just say yes. Bags have been packed since last night. So anxious to demo those Metron B5's. Will probably go this afternoon, stop for a night at Albany then head on to K by tomorrow morning. Hopefully, mother nature will be kind to my girls and give them a break. And hopefully mother nature will also knock some sense into my head and just decide to stay home. I am officially on work vacation the whole of next week so if I don't go then I will fiddle my thumbs for four days.

I know I can get that refund no problem. It is just that so much planning went into it and its sad that the common cold is ruining it all.
Fresh air will do the kids good. Past that, why are you stopping in Albany? NYC to Kton is a 4-5 hour trip...max. No need to get a hotel room on the way. Either that or pack up the car tonight, and get on the road at 6:00 AM and be on the slopes by 11:00.

Some of the shops are starting to get the 07 Metron M11 B5 (Basin on the access road?), a much better and more versitile ski than the Mb5
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Phil,

Is it really just a 4-5 hour drive? Mapquest and google earth indicates about 5-6. Anyway, being that I have a lot of respect for you, I will consider your advice and take it to heart. Might just leave at 5AM tomorrow morning and let the girls stay home tonight to rest a little bit more. I want to demo those B5:11s but made reservations at the Aspen ski shop for the B5s.

Thanks so much.
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist
Phil,

Is it really just a 4-5 hour drive? Mapquest and google earth indicates about 5-6. Anyway, being that I have a lot of respect for you, I will consider your advice and take it to heart. Might just leave at 5AM tomorrow morning and let the girls stay home tonight to rest a little bit more. I want to demo those B5:11s but made reservations at the Aspen ski shop for the B5s.

Thanks so much.
It takes me about 6+/- from (south of) Philly to get to Rutland.
post #11 of 18
As a mom, I am sure that everyone would expect me to say stay home. But they'll be sick the same amount of time either way. Just make sure they all get lots of sleep and if they are tired, they take a break. I've always found fresh air to be remarkably curative. As long as the conditions up there sound like you'd be crying all week about missing them, I think you should go. You could postpone and there'd be a heat wave or everyone would be sick again.
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Ok, latest update based on everyone's advice here is that we leave at 4AM tomorrow morning and try to be there by 10AM. Might try to put in a couple of runs for everyone in the afternoon before check-in at 5PM, then dinner at the Caboose.

That means we all get to bed by 6PM tonight - which shouldn't really be a problem since we are all early sleepers anyway. Funny thing is that my wife is suddenly amazed at how much advice I get from the bears in the forum. Well that is what we are all here for anyway.

Phil, I will try to call Basin and see if I could demo the B5:11.
post #13 of 18
So sorry you've been struggling with this. . . we've been there lots this winter. Two-year-olds get sick with alarming frequency. : So we've canceled trips and maasaged trips and rescheduled trips. I don't seem to be getting much skiing in, at least not in the past few weeks!

Glad it looks like you've decided to go. Sounds like folks are on the mend, and fresh air in moderation will do everyone good. Cabin fever just makes everybody feel worse, I think.

Safe travels!

Mollmeister
post #14 of 18
Cyclist,
Great to hear that you decided to go. If you are on the road by 4:00am, you shouldn't hit a lick of traffic and if you have a heavier foot, ~75-80 mph on the thruway/87(of course watch out for the troopers), it won't take you more than 5 hours, probably less(not including stops).

Enjoy and good luck.
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist
Ok, latest update based on everyone's advice here is that we leave at 4AM tomorrow morning and try to be there by 10AM. Might try to put in a couple of runs for everyone in the afternoon before check-in at 5PM, then dinner at the Caboose.

That means we all get to bed by 6PM tonight - which shouldn't really be a problem since we are all early sleepers anyway. Funny thing is that my wife is suddenly amazed at how much advice I get from the bears in the forum. Well that is what we are all here for anyway.

Phil, I will try to call Basin and see if I could demo the B5:11.
They MIGHT NOT have them, but its worth the call. Northern Ski Works is another Atomic Dealer, might be worth a call to them too.

Just a reminder, if you pack the car tonight, do not put the boot bags in untill you are ready to leave in the AM . The Caboose is a great place for dinner and "happy Hour", great wings!!!
post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedaah
Cyclist,
Great to hear that you decided to go. If you are on the road by 4:00am, you shouldn't hit a lick of traffic and if you have a heavier foot, ~75-80 mph on the thruway/87(of course watch out for the troopers), it won't take you more than 5 hours, probably less(not including stops).

Enjoy and good luck.
Pedaah, you recommend the 87, eh! I always thought that going through the 95 then 91 North was a better drive - being in a wider and better paved freeway. Some suggest the 87 and some suggest the 91. Phil, what is your experience? Also called a few Atomic dealers in the Killington area and NONE have the B5:11s yet. Heard of it though but not seen it.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist
Pedaah, you recommend the 87, eh! I always thought that going through the 95 then 91 North was a better drive - being in a wider and better paved freeway. Some suggest the 87 and some suggest the 91. Phil, what is your experience? Also called a few Atomic dealers in the Killington area and NONE have the B5:11s yet. Heard of it though but not seen it.
I take 87.

As far as the B5:11. I am not surprised that no one has them yet. If you are deoming from Aspen East, give the Goode 74 a try, I hear it is a great ski.
post #18 of 18
Twice this winter, I started feeling a cold coming on 2-3 days before a ski trip (everyone has been sick at work -- makes me want to telecommute to avoid exposure). Despite being real worried, I hit ZiCam pretty hard, and skied anyway. Miraculously, I think the skiing helped me kick the cold in both cases. Mid-way through the first day of each trip, I was feeling better, and was normal by the second day. Heck, maybe skiing is a cure for the common cold!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Kids / wife sick, Killington 4-day reservations tomorrow - SHOULD WE GO?