EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Hey Bode, Take a Hike and Don't Come Back
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hey Bode, Take a Hike and Don't Come Back - Page 5

post #121 of 138
How about his interview (the one they just showed on NBC) after the slalom when he basically said that he wasn't drunk all the time and how great his experience was becuase he got to party : - sad
post #122 of 138
I have not weighed in at all in this post but I will say that many atheletes and performers do not understand the fiduciary responsibility that comes with achievement, status and endorsements. Failure to understand this is a guarantee of falling from the pedestal down the road.

It is perfectly ok to miss a gate and blow out of the coarse. These things happen but; If you drink and party the night before you raise the "what if" questions.

Fiduciary responsibility has nothing to do with contractual or warranty responsibility. Its bestowed upon you whether you want it or not. There is a price to pay for failure to recognize fiduciary responsibility and its usually disasterous. I am certain Bode was warned repeatedly about this.

His charades may have had no effect on his performance but the American people would easily forgive him had he appeared to give it 110%. I am sure the true cost to Bode has not hit him yet.
post #123 of 138
I really haven't sorted out my thoughts on him beyond the fact that he is an extremely talented athlete who hasn't performed to his potential this season including during the Olympics. However, I do think that Pierre's makes some noteworthy points.
post #124 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimeral
True, that we do not know the real Bode....but from what we see, he is a first class, immature jerk who has ripped off the team, sponsers, supporters, and fans.

From what I have observed, I would not want to know much more about him. He is not the kind of person or athlete that I respect, regardless of his immense talent.

As for being an individual, that is not the same as being a jerk and rip off artist.
Glad to see a few folk are coming around to (REALITY) what a few of us have been saying for weeks !!!
post #125 of 138
Gotta love the Bash Bode Bandwagon--he doesn't say what you want him to, doesn't act the way you think he should, and that's perfect. We need a few more people like him to shake up the complacent, self-satisfied jerks who want cookie-cutter stars who never learned to think for themselves.

One minor correction:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
Straddling the last gate in the flush? That's a mental problem -- he was not paying attention.
The type of straddle he made in the combined, where the tip just crossed out onto the other side of the gate, probably has nothing to do with concentration. Particularly in a flush where the racer is almost just shifting his body to get around the gates with minimum movement, the ski tips will always be inches from the gate, and the slightest bump on an unpressured ski can send it the wrong way--look at Palander and a bunch of other guys in the SL for more on that.
post #126 of 138
I think what's missing from all this is the inescapable fact that in the past few years he has made skiing exciting for lots of people. I think of him like I do Peggy Flemming who single-handedly changed the course of American figure skating. He made me watch skiing and certainly inspires my son to want to ski difficult challenges even if racing is not in his future. We were in beaver creek this week and just skiing the last bit of Golden Eagle off of Raven's Ridge reminds you just how freaking HARD it must be to ski 80 mph down terrifying terrain and almost make it look easy. I might have been going 20 mph and it was breathtaking. He may be a difficult child, but he can ski and on good days he is amazing and on bad days he isn't -- and as for his skiing off into the woods after his failure today -- who wouldn't knowing that a few hundred insipid reporters would be hounding him and asking the same question over and over again. In my book there is no valor in playing the medias game -- I know because I advise clients on such matters day in and day out. At the beginning of the week Bode was red meat for the hungry viewers who stayed up to watch, now he's red meat for the the media who love a good fall as much as they love a winner. It's a no lose for them.
post #127 of 138
i missed the whole shawnee is a traitor because i was on the road but this:
"He chooses to train in Calgary." and not SLC...because he feels that he is getting the best training available in Calgary not for any other reason...as for bode, it was 5 average races, now the WC can start again where he will probably end up top 3 in overall again...at least your alpine team got some results check out the 2010 games for canadas 2006 top 30 finishers....
post #128 of 138

laughing all the way to the bank?

Ted Ligety turned out to post the best US male alpine performance with his gold in the combined. But poor Ted was not a USST choice either. Ted entered some early season FIS races at Winterpark when the euros were there and got the results that lowered his points such that USST HAD to let him on the team and give him the starts that led to his current success. Bode started five events and finished two for a 5th and a 6th for the second best US male alpine performance of these Olympic games.

Notwithstanding the media circus, the put downs on NBC and CBC and all the bickering and nastiness here in BB about him. Whatever side you take on Bode - love him; hate him; like him; don't like him; don't give a flying f**k at a rolling donut about him......it will be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out on the WC.

- Fossil
post #129 of 138

fossil ...

Well put!

Now that the "dog and pony" show is over and the fleas stop biting ....

... The real "circus" can get back underway!
post #130 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bez
You Bode bashers are on drugs.:

A fifth in the downhill just 11 hundredths of a second off the podium, a straddled gate in the combined slalom (while in the lead) after winning the downhill portion, and a spectacular recovery in the Super G after being in the hunt for Gold and taking a risky line..... if you really knew ski racing, you could hardly call that a huge failure.
Fifth in the downhill for a race in which he slept late and skipped the pre-race inspection. Who knows, maybe looking at it might have given him back that 1/10th second and the gold???

The straddled gate in the SL of the combined was the most inexcusable- he already had a sizeable lead in the DH, why take chances on the Slalom? He could have skiied more conservatively/deliberately and preserve his overall lead. Instead he took an unecessary risk and blew the race.

I don't race at WC level, but even in my lowly club racing league we all know that you get no points for DNFs and DSQs
post #131 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantelman
Fifth in the downhill for a race in which he slept late and skipped the pre-race inspection. Who knows, maybe looking at it might have given him back that 1/10th second and the gold???

The straddled gate in the SL of the combined was the most inexcusable- he already had a sizeable lead in the DH, why take chances on the Slalom? He could have skiied more conservatively/deliberately and preserve his overall lead. Instead he took an unecessary risk and blew the race.
He had already inspected, raced, and trained on the course several times. Many other top contenders skipped that inspection as well.

The SL is what determines the winner of the combined, as it counts for so much more. That's why technical guys almost always win the combined--DHers can't compete because the event is weighted so heavily toward SL.
If you're gonna bash the guy, at least know what you're talking about.
post #132 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by saudan's boudoir
He had already inspected, raced, and trained on the course several times. Many other top contenders skipped that inspection as well.

The SL is what determines the winner of the combined, as it counts for so much more. That's why technical guys almost always win the combined--DHers can't compete because the event is weighted so heavily toward SL.
If you're gonna bash the guy, at least know what you're talking about.
Uh, Bode was a a tech racer most of his career. You consider him a Dh'er. He won the Sg title last year not the Dh title. I sure don't think of him as a Dh'er.
post #133 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
Uh, Bode was a a tech racer most of his career. You consider him a Dh'er. He won the Sg title last year not the Dh title. I sure don't think of him as a Dh'er.
Is there some point attached to that? I'm well aware Bode is a tech skier (with phenomonal skills in the speed events, but still not a speed specialist) and that he didn't even race WC DH until the past three years or so. Doesn't change what the balance is in the combined, nor the facts about inspection and how much he had already seen of that course.
post #134 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by saudan's boudoir
Is there some point attached to that? I'm well aware Bode is a tech skier (with phenomonal skills in the speed events, but still not a speed specialist) and that he didn't even race WC DH until the past three years or so. Doesn't change what the balance is in the combined, nor the facts about inspection and how much he had already seen of that course.
yeah, keep up your excuse making! it is almost as entertaining as Bode himself!
post #135 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
Uh, Bode was a a tech racer most of his career. You consider him a Dh'er. He won the Sg title last year not the Dh title. I sure don't think of him as a Dh'er.
Good point, considering he was at a distant second place, 61 points behind Walchoffer, in the downhill standings at the end of the 2005 season.
post #136 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbubnis
Good point, considering he was at a distant second place, 61 points behind Walchoffer, in the downhill standings at the end of the 2005 season.
1 year does not a great downhiller make!

But you miss the point since Saudan said the combined is advantaged towards the slalom skiers.
post #137 of 138
It absolutely is. Stop hiding behind being dense and figure something out.
post #138 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
yeah, keep up your excuse making! it is almost as entertaining as Bode himself!
What are you talking about? I showed how you're wrong and posted something that made no sense, that's not an excuse.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Hey Bode, Take a Hike and Don't Come Back