EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Atomic or Volkl - Time for new skis
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Atomic or Volkl - Time for new skis

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Opinions anyone? It’s time for new skis. Something that can cruise as well as ski a few bumps. So far on me list is Volkl’s Unlimited AC2 & AC3 or Supersport 4 & 5 star and Atomic Izor 9:7 or Metron B5, M11, & M10. Currently I’m skiing in a new pair of Salomon Xwave 9’s on old old Rossignol ski.

I would put my skill level around an 8, no problem with most of the Black Diamond in the Midwest (Snowshoe WV) and New England (Killington & Gore). Always on-piste. 48 year old, 5’9” and 175 lbs.

Looking for some suggestions
Thanks!
post #2 of 25
I tried a bunch of the skis you have on your list. I ended up with the Volkl Allstar. Fits my style. Not the best bump ski but it is better in the bumps than the M11.

I actually enjoyed all the skis I tried. Just had to get used to the feel of each ski. After a run or two each ski had something to offer.

The Allstar is very quick and holds GS rail turns at speed like a big ski. More versitile in turn sizes and shapes than the others I tried. It's very stable and holds incredibly well on hard snow. Not bad in soft snow or crud.

The M11 skied nicely in 18" of fresh Utah pow. It was nice on the hard pack but not as sure as the Allstar. It's very easy to get into a turn. The only think I didn't like about the M11 was the weight on the chair. Didn't notice it much skiing but it was like wearing concrete boots on the lift. Overall I really enjoyed that ski too.

Demo Demo Demo! If you can't... buy the Allstar!

Good luck

<M
post #3 of 25
I have M11's and I was blown away by the AC4's. If the 82mm waste scares you, the AC3 is a great choice. I also like the M10 over the M11 for its versitility. A fried of mine demo'd the Izor and said it was a waste of a ski. Don't go below 72-73mm in the waste.
post #4 of 25
I agree Demo Demo Demo. Give the AC4 a try though. It's nice anywhere on the mountain. Great powder ski for the trees and if you ever make it out west it will be better in the soft stuff then the Allstar. The Allstar is a great ski but the AC4 is just more versatile.
post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 

The Score is...

The Score is.....

2, For the Volkl AC4

1, For the Volkl Allstar

1, For the Atomic M10

0, For the Atomic Izor
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanting-to-ski
The Score is.....

2, For the Volkl AC4

1, For the Volkl Allstar

1, For the Atomic M10

0, For the Atomic Izor
I will also throw in the 07 Metron M11 B5, which will be the best of the Metron class. I am not sure if there will be any in stores yet though.
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanting-to-ski
The Score is.....

2, For the Volkl AC4

1, For the Volkl Allstar

1, For the Atomic M10

0, For the Atomic Izor
Boy, am I going to confuse you!

Haven't tried the atomic M10 or the 07 atomic M11B5 that Phil suggested, but I her great things about the 07 ski.
I have tried the Allstar. Enjoyed it, much!
Brother in law has the AC4 in 170cm. I've skied it and liked it very much!
I have the metron B5 and LOVE IT!
Tried the Izor recently and thought....Boy, if I didn't have the metron, I'd really like to have this ski!

If I were choosing between the Izor, AC4, and Allstar, the choice would be difficult. I think I'd be more inclined toward the Izor and AC4.

Heck!!! Just buy them all!!!!!
post #8 of 25
If you are always going to stay on-piste, I wouldn't go too wide. How fast do you like to go? If you prefer cruising to ripping, you probably ought to go softer than the stiffer, esp if you are going to do bumps. You really have to demo to match the skis to your preferences. Of course, some days I have different preferences, which is why I have different skis :-)
post #9 of 25
Thread Starter 
The New Score is.....

3, For the Volkl AC4

1, For the Volkl Allstar

1, For the Atomic M10

1, For the Atomic Izor

Volkl's in the lead! I can feel a new pair of ski coming on.
post #10 of 25
I thought I better add that I really don't like the AC4 in the bumps. It does ok but is not ideal. It's just a tad to for wide for my taste. I demoed the five star and had a blast on it. Great in the bumps and incrediable on the groomers. Narrow it down to a couple and then demo them. Thats the only way you'll know for sure what you want.
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTpowder
I thought I better add that I really don't like the AC4 in the bumps. It does ok but is not ideal. It's just a tad to for wide for my taste. I demoed the five star and had a blast on it. Great in the bumps and incrediable on the groomers. Narrow it down to a couple and then demo them. Thats the only way you'll know for sure what you want.
On that note, you could pick up a new pair of AC4's as your primary ski and get a one or two year old 5* reasonably for a bump ski.:
post #12 of 25
Price independent, the AC4, you will be paying $750.00+ for them. Price dependent, the M10/M11, you can find these on Ebay for well under $500.00. Both cases here are with bindings. So you could get some M:ex's and some Allstars (or comparable) for the price of the AC4's.

Just to confuse the issue.
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
So you could get some M:ex's and some Allstars (or comparable) for the price of the AC4's.

Just to confuse the issue.
That is almost the combo I have, the 6 Stars and the M:EX. It's actually a pretty good quiver with little overlap. It's a good "East Coast" combo and covers a trip or two per season out West.

Personally if I were buying only one ski and price were an issue (always is for me) I would go for the M:10 or M:11.
post #14 of 25
If you were only buying one ski and price were not an issue???
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by imataxman
If you were only buying one ski and price were not an issue???
Either the AC4 in you were buying now or the M11 B5 will be a top choice for next year.
post #16 of 25
Thread Starter 

One more round please!

Thanks to all for the input, but one more round please.

I’m in a position where I can’t really demo ski and would like to buy before all of the great deals are gone. So here’s my short list of ski that I think I can’t go wrong with. Would like to get your feedback on this. Sorry Atomic fans but no Atomics on this list.

Volkl AC 3 @ 163cm
or
Volkl 4 Star @ 168cm
or
Volki 5 Star @ 168cm

Remember, mostly on-piste in the eastern U.S. (hopefully one trip out west a year though). Skill level around an 8, and turning is a lot more fun then barreling straight down hill. 48 year old, about 5’9” and 175 pounds.

Also (for my wife) any thoughts a two year old but new pair of Volkl Gamma energy 320 for a killer price or a new pair of Attiva AC 2 at good price?

As always thanks for your time and knowledge!
post #17 of 25
Love my AC3 which I ski at 170cm ( 6' .5" & 200 lbs), but not a lot of float in soft stuff. Just tried a 177cm Karma in Japan, wanted to try the Mantra & AC4 but couldn't get hold of them. I was suprised how easy the Karma was to ski, not as quick edge to edge as the AC3, but no slouch. For a 1 ski quiver, you need to try the AC4

IMO, the 5 Star will push you more than the 4 Star, but the AC3 will be more versatile. Don't ski any of these too long, they love to bang out turns. I understand that the K2 Apache Recon is similar to the AC3, if you can demo this and not the Volkl, it should give you some idea how the AC3 skis.
post #18 of 25
Given your skill level, size and primarily on-piste Eastern skiing, the 5 Star in a 168cm 5 Star should be a blast! I demod several skis (see http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=36237), and the 5 Star was my favorite.
post #19 of 25
Another vote for the 5*. Sport Chalet has them on sale for 30% off!... along with all Volkl skis they carry. Right around $600 for the 06 5*. If you are truly a level 8 skier you should be looking square at the Allstar. Better all-around ski and very easy to ski for a level 8 skier. No disadvantages with some definite +. Best of both worlds IMO.

Good luck with what ever you decide to pick. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the skis you mentioned.

<M
post #20 of 25
I own both the Allstar and the B5. I've used the B5 much more than the allstar simply becasue it is better on ice, which we have a lot of on the east coast.

when things are groomed nice, i like my allstars, they really grip and are more stable at speeds than the B5. but if there's snow, ice, crud, or just about anything that's been thrown our way, the B5 comes out.

The Allstar is an easier ski to ski for the day, the B5 takes a bit more work and you find yourself in more, shorter turns than the Allstar.

Can't go wrong with either. I've skied the B5 about 40 times; the Allstar is new to me and i've skied it about 5 times.
post #21 of 25
Price dropped thanks to SierraJim. Both Allstar ($669) and AC4 ($639), are well below your estimate, and include bindings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
Price independent, the AC4, you will be paying $750.00+ for them. Price dependent, the M10/M11, you can find these on Ebay for well under $500.00. Both cases here are with bindings. So you could get some M:ex's and some Allstars (or comparable) for the price of the AC4's.

Just to confuse the issue.
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanting-to-ski
Thanks to all for the input, but one more round please.

I’m in a position where I can’t really demo ski and would like to buy before all of the great deals are gone. So here’s my short list of ski that I think I can’t go wrong with. Would like to get your feedback on this. Sorry Atomic fans but no Atomics on this list.

Volkl AC 3 @ 163cm
or
Volkl 4 Star @ 168cm
or
Volki 5 Star @ 168cm

Remember, mostly on-piste in the eastern U.S. (hopefully one trip out west a year though). Skill level around an 8, and turning is a lot more fun then barreling straight down hill. 48 year old, about 5’9” and 175 pounds.

Also (for my wife) any thoughts a two year old but new pair of Volkl Gamma energy 320 for a killer price or a new pair of Attiva AC 2 at good price?

As always thanks for your time and knowledge!
I would narrow it down to either the 5 Star or AC3. After that it is personal preference. Personally I would get the 5 Star for skiing 90% East Coast. Look for a pair of last year's, they are the same.
post #23 of 25

Ac3

I'm 5'11.5", 175lbs on 177 AC4s.
LOVE them and only ski in the West.
They're truly an all mountain ski and they're great OB.

My Cousin skied 184 AC3s with me @ Deer Valley last week and had the best time of his life. He normally skis in the East @ Killington, etc.

I would put you on 170 AC3s since you ski mostly in the East.
When you head West, they'll still be a blast all over the mountain.

My Wife skis the Attiva AC2s.
post #24 of 25
Thread Starter 

Pleased and relieved

Just came home from a 3-hour drive with a brand new pair of Volkl Supersport 5 Star with Motion AT & PCOS bindings for under $600. I’m very pleased and relieved to see that most of you agree with my purchase.

Thanks again !
post #25 of 25
Enjoy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Atomic or Volkl - Time for new skis