New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm done- outta here.

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Nice chatting and BSing with most of you bears.
i'm done with the place, the level of vitriol and reading ineptitiude on the volkl/K2 thread is too much. anyone else wants to call me a liar, please do so in person.
evidently the tenuosu grasp which some need to keep on their bizarre "big Fish" status here is more than i care to combat.

'why, whatever do you MEAN, wyatt?

Vladmir
post #2 of 26
So who are you really? It was plain all along it was a meno!
post #3 of 26
That'll teach me to take an evening and go skiing. Hell...I obviously missed the whole show.
post #4 of 26
Well, with over 25 posts per day, I suppose it was too much to expect you would silently slip away. Frankly, this is the first post of your's I have replied to. After over 600 of your posts, I still don't get it. :

My suspicion is that you simply burned out by lighting both ends. Too much exposure could make you a cynic real fast.
post #5 of 26

I know you

Sorry to see you giving up, getting stuff easily may lead to weakness. Struggling and suffering may be worth something, who would have thunk it? To truly love something may require a willingness to accept pain as the price for admission. The ability to admit to yourself when others have shown you to be a fool may not be a bad thing. It is probably easy to have information inserted into your noggin for easy regurgitation via hypnosis, but then you lack the requisite experience to back the knowledge up by anecdotal evidence. The unauthentic life is not worth living. You really should thank these folks. Personally, I would rather be called a liar by an honest man than an honest man by a liar. Your mileage may vary.
post #6 of 26
Although I didn't take the time to read through the monstrous K2/Volkl post, I have to agree with Vlad that the discussions here too often degenerate into personal attacks, name-calling, bragging, and the like (I'm not taking anyones side in the K2 post in particular).

Recently I posted a complaint I had about a new north face jacket where the outer surface layer was coming apart and pilling. I was immediately jumped on by a long time poster and instantly and derisively labeled as a poser, gaper, and general loser for 1) buying north face, and 2) caring how the outer fabric looked after a week of wear. This same poster later jumped in to insult my writing style and overall character. Now was this really warranted? I think not. If I was a first time poster, or if I had thinner skin, I would not be inclined to post here again. If this is supposed to be a friendly community that reception I received was anything but. [Sidebar - said poster in question is now banned, go figure].

I think there's a lot of value in the cumulative knowledge of all the posters here on these forums. However there's also a lot of arrogance and, sometimes, way too little humility and tolerance.
post #7 of 26
Thats a shame.
post #8 of 26
It is a shame, but please also note - beside every post is a red triangle with a black line in it.
This is the "Report Post" button.
Clicking on it will alert the mods that you have a problem with the post.

If you do have a problem, rather than trying to stir the pot further, or, worse still, leave, why not do something positive, and pass it on to the mods.
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider
Well, with over 25 posts per day, I suppose it was too much to expect you would silently slip away. Frankly, this is the first post of your's I have replied to. After over 600 of your posts, I still don't get it. :

My suspicion is that you simply burned out by lighting both ends. Too much exposure could make you a cynic real fast.
I noticed that too. To have 600 posts in 30+ days, you'd have to have a lot of time on your hands, and be spending hours on end sitting on this website. That would trip anyone's mental circuit breakers.
post #10 of 26
Vlad

Nice knowing you. You came here with some good stuff. If you ever choose to come back, we'll be here. Many have left and returned.

Many people on this forum have behaved poorly, not least of which is me. One of the many lessons on Epic is tollerance.
post #11 of 26
watch that door.
post #12 of 26

Expectations are the source of all dissapointment.

These internet lists are a lot like a woman's expectation of a man.

One, to fullfill every need.

Unfortunately, the web is too often a mile wide and an inch deep.

Lot's of good stuff here. Just try to keep detached. Words released can take on meanings never expected.

Best to all

CalG
post #13 of 26
Get some sleep.
post #14 of 26
lasted longer here than over at Bomber online...

you were colorful if nothing else...not sure if I'll miss you not...
post #15 of 26
Good luck vlad. It was fun.
post #16 of 26

Just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelloboy
, I have to agree with Vlad that the discussions here too often degenerate into personal attacks, name-calling, bragging, and the like (I'm not taking anyones side in the K2 post in particular).

Recently I posted a complaint I had about a new north face jacket where the outer surface layer was coming apart and pilling. I was immediately jumped on by a long time poster and instantly and derisively labeled as a poser, gaper, and general loser for 1) buying north face, and 2) caring how the outer fabric looked after a week of wear. This same poster later jumped in to insult my writing style and overall character. If this is supposed to be a friendly community that reception I received was anything but.
It is only my opinion but I just read that thread. I think you may be over reacting. The first post to your question did contain a valid point about form and function. The poster just has a bombastic style of writing. You did receive a heck of a lot of replies, all of them helpful. To highlight three replies and characterize an entire community by them is over reacting, in my opinion. I disagree that you were "instantly" labelled. That happened later in the thread and it was not directed at you personally. Take what you need and leave the rest. The point I get from reading Cruds replies is to not take yourself so seriously. I know its a difficult thing to deal with when it happens, but by not taking it personally you may end up looking back on it and find it funny.
post #17 of 26
Hey Vlad,
Just because a few vitriolic posters disagree with you don't write off all of us.

Sometimes it's best not to continue arguing with someone who will not be convinced.

I found your contributions quite interesting.
post #18 of 26
Internet forums are interesting because we get a certain amount of anonymity. That makes many people ditch their manners (assuming they had them in the first place) and communicate in a very no-nonsense style. Frank commentary is OK with a spouse or coworker or friend that you have a understanding with, but it can come across as know-it-all, bitchy, or rude here, since many of us are strangers. That's what can make these forums touchy at times. I don't think most people are trying to be jerks, it may just appear that way.

Personally, knowing I may meet, ski, or take a lesson from someone I meet on Epic, it makes me want to act like myself and not a typical internet punk!

Craig
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by james

It is only my opinion but I just read that thread. I think you may be over reacting. The first post to your question did contain a valid point about form and function. The poster just has a bombastic style of writing. You did receive a heck of a lot of replies, all of them helpful. To highlight three replies and characterize an entire community by them is over reacting, in my opinion. I disagree that you were "instantly" labelled. That happened later in the thread and it was not directed at you personally. Take what you need and leave the rest. The point I get from reading Cruds replies is to not take yourself so seriously. I know its a difficult thing to deal with when it happens, but by not taking it personally you may end up looking back on it and find it funny.
I read that thread, yelloboy, and I have to agree with James on this one. Crud's one of the personalities on this board and, well, sometimes he can be awfully caustic. He's thrown more than a few chairs at me in the past year and a half or so. The best response is to just laugh it off (and I've told him I was laughing at him before, too)... and realize that when he's not being crabby he knows a lot and has some good insights. There are one or two other posters on this board who do nothing more than try and stir up trouble. That's why there's an ignore function... don't be afraid to use it.

Overall, while things can and do degenerate here as they do on any internet forum, the threads stay relatively respectful. I think it's because of ESA and the fact that we can and do meet other Bears on the hill. When it does inevitably degenerate don't take it personally (and this goes for you too, Vlad, if you're lurking). It's an INTERNET BOARD, fer crissakes! We all have a whole lot more to stress over than this...
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad
Nice chatting and BSing with most of you bears.
i'm done with the place, the level of vitriol and reading ineptitiude on the volkl/K2 thread is too much. anyone else wants to call me a liar, please do so in person.
evidently the tenuosu grasp which some need to keep on their bizarre "big Fish" status here is more than i care to combat.

'why, whatever do you MEAN, wyatt?

Vladmir
Vlad, what a wussy!
post #21 of 26
Oh Crud!
He used to be Gonzostrike. At first he put me off too, but then I thought he was a joke when I first joined this form. He sometimes gets a little too much into his art.
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirl1961
I read that thread, yelloboy, and I have to agree with James on this one. Crud's one of the personalities on this board and, well, sometimes he can be awfully caustic. He's thrown more than a few chairs at me in the past year and a half or so. The best response is to just laugh it off (and I've told him I was laughing at him before, too)... and realize that when he's not being crabby he knows a lot and has some good insights. There are one or two other posters on this board who do nothing more than try and stir up trouble. That's why there's an ignore function... don't be afraid to use it.
I get the point that that is his general personality and that I shouldn't take it personally where perhaps I did. And I grant you that his first post did contain one tidbit that was on-topic.

However I did still find it somewhat offensive and in general it didn't add anything to the thread.

I did obviously receive numerous responses that were helpful / supportive and that's why I said that epic is still a great place with much value to be had. There are a just few 'characters' who I wish would follow the old adage of "If you don't have anything nice (valuable) to say..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
To highlight three replies and characterize an entire community by them is over reacting, in my opinion.
James - I do not think that I characterized an entire community based on Crud's 3 responses as you imply that I did. I said that epic is still a great place with much to offer but that had I been more thin skinned, reponses like those could easily turn me off. I was merely referring to 'that reception' in particular; I wasn't generalizing. At least that wasn't the intent. Heck, if it was I wouldn't still be here. And while I may or may not have been 'instantly' labeled, certainly you can see how I would have taken offense to posts later labeling all those who wear TNF as posers/gapers, whether or not those were directed at me personally...

As a side note, I've read through a lot of Crud's posts in the politics forum and find myself agreeing with much of what he says. I'm sure if he could get over the fact that I'm a poser/gaper :, we'd probably get along.
post #23 of 26
-tombstone great movie

-whatsa meno?

-25 posts a day for a month and you quit?

bad form

(rest up a bit and try again......)
post #24 of 26
thin skin
post #25 of 26

Let it go Vlad

hey Vlad, let it go. i enjoy your posts and whatever the rift, it's fleeting and just BS. Let it go dude!

Mike
post #26 of 26
It must be "post forum depression"

Well Vlad, despite the pm's I got about you, I enjoyed your input and your fresh ideas.

I didn't even read the K2 Volkl thing. Guess I should have.

may the force be with you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home