New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Olympic "combined" events

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
The alpine Combined Race got me thinking. : What other Winter Olympic events could be combined to be both challenging, worthy of the Olympic stage and/or funny as h*ll to ponder.

How about Big Air Freestyle and Biathalon. You could do the traditinal kinda boring combined event where the same people do each event then combine the scores or you could truly combine them and have targets along the flying/landing zone and while flying and twisting they have to shoot at the targets. Handgun would probably work better than a rifle.

What events would you like to suggest?
post #2 of 16
Sound like that would be better observed from the living room than "live" (or dead).
post #3 of 16
speed skating and luge


i know it really does exist, i just forget whats it's called
post #4 of 16
Figure Skating and Curling. We could call it Ice Bowling.
post #5 of 16
Something I had mentioned the other day. A nordic/DH combined. Skate or skin from the bottom of the hill to the top, then ski a GS or SG course, but you have to use the same equipment.

When you mentined the snowboarding biathalon, I thought you were going to suggest the shooters shoot at the snowboarders as they are in the air:
post #6 of 16
Alpine biathalon.

An armed Super G: you don't stop to shoot at the targets, but just blast at them as you go by. Give 'em a shotgun instead of a rifle and make the targets fairly large. They could be speed limit signs, I suppose, or improve the odds for skiers like Bode by making them life-size cutouts of FIS officials (using actual FIS officials would be prohibitively expensive).

Isn't Dick Cheney a skier?
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH
Something I had mentioned the other day. A nordic/DH combined. Skate or skin from the bottom of the hill to the top, then ski a GS or SG course, but you have to use the same equipment.
Might be pointing out something you know, but this is done regularly, just not on the world stage
post #8 of 16
Hockey and boxing. Ah, er, excuse me, that's the NHL.
post #9 of 16
Biathlon and paintball. Potential is unlimited.
post #10 of 16
I think any of the events, plus hide-and-go-seek.

Oh wait, we already have that. It's called "Dealing with WADA officials"
post #11 of 16

Kennedys, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjjohnston
Alpine biathalon.

An armed Super G: you don't stop to shoot at the targets, but just blast at them as you go by. Give 'em a shotgun instead of a rifle and make the targets fairly large. They could be speed limit signs, I suppose, or improve the odds for skiers like Bode by making them life-size cutouts of FIS officials (using actual FIS officials would be prohibitively expensive).

Isn't Dick Cheney a skier?
Between Cheney and the Kennedys you could get quite the rivalry going on something like this.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takecontrol618
speed skating and luge


i know it really does exist, i just forget whats it's called
http://www.redbullcrashedice.ca/
post #13 of 16
Not just a combined event, but combine 2 events/sports into one...Freestyle skiing + Big Hill Ski Jump = Ratings.
post #14 of 16

NoNoNONO!

Much as I would like to see Brock Landers' idea bear fruit,

you all realise that it is very dangerous to ask for this?

I mean the first 'combined' result would be derived from figure skating and be something like:

1500m + two short programs?


: : : vade retro : : :



I don't want to be the person to break the news of "fall=no medal" either
post #15 of 16
If you want to go big:

Figure skating + greco-roman wrestling, but it's all done on ice, and you don't get to change clothes.

Another summer-winter combination:

Ice dancing + shot put, but the guy throws the woman for distance. I suppose if you made it a hammer throw it would be more exciting.

Or, perhaps a more practical idea:

Ice hockey + figure skating, but you don't tell them in advance when the figure skating part starts. All of a sudden, in the middle of a hockey game, a horn blows and everyone is judged on artistry and jumps for the next three minutes.
post #16 of 16

my olympic dream ..

Skeet or Trap and snowboard.

You holler "PULL" and they release a boarder who gets air off the jump.

You wouldn't need medals, just surviving would be enough.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion