EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Patrol Shack › Thoughts Wanted: Especially Patrollers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thoughts Wanted: Especially Patrollers. - Page 3

post #61 of 76
ZacMan1987: relax a bit and don't take this stuff so seriously!

Quote:
This time, there is 18 inches of off piste (not suppose to be ski able EVER) powder 4 feet under my chair.
This comment in the original post may have lead people to suspect that, in part, you were seeking powder. This comment is out of place.

It was "vinn" who "criticized" the "cat tracks" not "huckingfellers". Anyway, it's the assemblage of tickets that is the "true" mark of gaperism (and the jeans and the football jacket). I'd suggest taking some of these comments as "good natured teasing". There's also a subtle and useful suggestion about how to appear more experienced (and, maybe, get a bit more "respect" from the patrollers). Don't rebuild the ticket collection! (Keep using the cat tracks.)

As far as I can tell, "Huckingfellers" is a reasonable poster (here and in other threads).

Keep in mind that I'm from New Jersey, another place that has a great reputation for skiing!
post #62 of 76
Quote:
Don't do that chair lift jumper, not a good idea at all. If you need to be rescued sit tight and you will be in time. in 20 something years of skiing I have yet seen the need for anyone to be recued off a lift because of it breaking down. __________________
"Sua Sponte"

About two weeks ago, the Bonanza lift, the main lift the upper mountain at Park City was broke for at least a week. They had to lower everyone by rope and sling.... into deep powder. This included some older folks.

Quote:

Article Last Updated: 2/04/2006 12:08 AM

Park City Resort patrol rescues dozens stranded on balky ski lift

By Nate Carlisle
The Salt Lake Tribune

Salt Lake TribunePARK CITY - Todd and Jennifer Wright have one more story to tell about their first ski trip to Utah. It's about being among about 175 skiers rescued from a broken ski lift and being lowered to the ground by a harness on Friday.

"I need another drink before I go back up there again," Jennifer Wright said with a slight laugh a few hours later as she sat in a resort bar.

At Park City Mountain Resort on Friday morning, the Wrights were among the skiers who boarded the Bonanza lift, a high-speed lift whose chairs hold six people each.

About 11:30 a.m., a mechanical problem in a gear box halted the lift, said resort spokeswoman Krista Parry.

The Wrights, of Nashville, Tenn., said they were stranded on their lift with two people from Texas and one from California.

“I said to the guys, 'They're going to get it going again,' ” Todd Wright said. “Then I thought, 'Well, what if they don't?' ”

The lift was still for 15 or 20 minutes, the Wrights said, before ski patrol arrived and yelled up to the skiers to inform them of the problem and ask if anyone had an emergency that required them to get down immediately.

Resort staff then climbed up the lift's towers and attached a harness and line. They slid the gear down the lift cables above each chair, attached the harness to the skiers and lowered them to the ground one at a time.
The rescuers "were real polite. Made you feel comfortable, safe," said Todd Wright.

Parry said about 175 skiers were on board the lift when it malfunctioned. It took about 1 1/2 hours to remove them. The Wrights said they spent about an hour stuck in the air.

The lift remained closed for the rest of the day, and Parry said the resort wasn't planning to open it today. All the resort's ski runs will be open, Parry said, and will open at 8:30 a.m. today, a half hour early, to ease any ski lift traffic problems caused by the Bonanza closure.

ncarlisle@sltrib.com
post #63 of 76
Dang! ... I am glad I read this thread... recently I felt compelled to jump about ten feet off a chair at Park City. My wife got thrown by a very fast two person chair on entry. The chair stopped about 40 feet up the hill. I looked back and she wasn't moving. I didn't want to end up at the top of the hill if she was injured, so I jumped off into very deep powder. Had a hell of a time extracting myself.

I got yelled at, but that was all.

Ok... maybe not the best idea. I think they were moving that chair too fast to make up for the Bonanza chair breakdown. Poor gal.. that chair just picked her up and threw her.

Stuff happens...
post #64 of 76
Zacman: I am sure you have gotten ripped up enough her by everyone else, but I do have a question. Everyone else was sitting tight in line and you wanted to grab the powder so you jumped to cut everyone else to it? Even people that had loaded the lift before you and therefore were before you in line (that line being the lift ride up)? I don't think the thirst for powder is so innocent a motive.
post #65 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_ski_bum
Zacman: I am sure you have gotten ripped up enough her by everyone else, but I do have a question. Everyone else was sitting tight in line and you wanted to grab the powder so you jumped to cut everyone else to it? Even people that had loaded the lift before you and therefore were before you in line (that line being the lift ride up)? I don't think the thirst for powder is so innocent a motive.
Nope. My original post was in fact, worded very confusingly, but the powder which I dropped into had nothing to do with what was actually in bounds. In fact, there was no powder, just good snow for Tennessee. The real dump occured Saturday night/Sunday morning. This was taking place Monday night. The powder that I dropped into was untracked because it was in an out-of-bounds area cut out to facilitate the passage of the lift through the trees. I jumped off because the lift was stopped for the third time of 5 minutes or more that night. This was due to overheating of the lift motors. That was the rationale for jumping, not the justification. There is no justification, just to be clear.

I decided that skiing the bunny hill lift was better than not skiing at all, so I jumped off of the stopped lift in order to access the other functioning lift which did not service as much terrain, but was in 100% working order that night. There were no fresh tracks to be had in bounds. 30-45 skier density per acre will see to that in short order.
post #66 of 76
in 20 something years of skiing I have yet seen the need for anyone to be recued off a lift because of it breaking down.

In 23 years as a professional patroller, I have done 4 lift evacuations of disabled lifts and self evaced from disabled lifts twice.

Usually the problems can be fixed by the Lift Maint. dept. but in certain cases such as the Bonanza lift, the machine is broken and can only be repaired by first removing the people.

In the case of a De-ropement, the Haul Rope (cable) may come off the sheaves (the wheels). The cable is usually caught on the Cable Catchers (small steel hooks on the outside of the wheels)

If you jump from the lift in this case, there is a good chance that the cable may bounce out of the cable catchers. The further and much worse de-ropement can...

A. toss others out of their chairs.
B. Cause the rope to travel all the way to the ground, causing people sitting in their chairs to hit with a lot of force and in a heavy chair. This in turn can lead to many serious injuries from what was a pretty minor situation.

If you are on a lift and it stops, please be patient and await further instructions from an employee. Please, never jump from a lift for any reason.
post #67 of 76
I declare this dead horse completely and utterly beaten.
post #68 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkayaker
I declare this dead horse completely and utterly beaten.
Roger That
post #69 of 76
GAPER---you are wrong.


I think the patroller and the mountain were good to you.


If you were first---you needed to be treated harshest--which was not harsh.
post #70 of 76
On another note: If you don't like waiting 8 minutes.


HIKE---it does a body good.
post #71 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tief schnee
You were lucky not to leave in a squad car. Just let it go.
As far as the troller tacking you old day tickets, he did you a favor.More than todays day pass on your jacket is a sign of gapeage.
Lucky not to leave in a squad car?!! Wow! You could over-react your way into politics. I'm surprised you didn't invoke 9/11. :

As far as the tickets go - sounds as if the patroller was breaking the law, (not just resort policy) by destroying someone else's personal property, however jongish.

The original poster was wrong, and the patroller was wrong, too.

btw - I've jumped off a (moving) lift before (when I was young and very, very cool) and it was a long way down and required an in-air 180 to land downhill on my skis . . . are you saying you jumped off a lift in your BOOTS?!! OUCH!!!

You should get a medal for surviving that.
Banned for a week, and a medal.
post #72 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGaspar
GAPER---you are wrong.


I think the patroller and the mountain were good to you.


If you were first---you needed to be treated harshest--which was not harsh.
Ridiculous!

You can't punish an adult more severly because he or she broke a rule first!
Maybe in kindergarten or the NHL, but not in real life. Absurd.
Give the other adults some credit for being able to think on their own - and punish them accordingly.
post #73 of 76
Quote:
Lucky not to leave in a squad car?!! Wow! You could over-react your way into politics. I'm surprised you didn't invoke 9/11. :
I have seen people arested for jumping off lifts, how am I over reacting? 9/11?

Quote:
btw - I've jumped off a (moving) lift before (when I was young and very, very cool) and it was a long way down and required an in-air 180 to land downhill on my skis
I realise your oldschool and all but a 3 to switch is much cooloer.
post #74 of 76
Sorry to bring this back up from the depths, just have a couple things...

Tickets are typically considered the property of the issuing party -- it's their absolute right to confiscate them, even if they're old. Even if this weren't the case, they needed to be cut off anyways, for the original posters own sake. They were doin you a favor, dude.

Regulation of "out-of-control" skiers is always open to interpretation, and management of a private resort typically calls the shots with how they want us to handle that. Bitch at management for this one, not at patrol.

Automatic $5000 fine for jumping off a lift in the state I patrol in. State law. You'd better believe we'll call the po-po if we see you doing it just cuz you have a powder jones.

The patroller SHOULD have been gruff with you. I'm surprised he wasn't a bigger dick. It isn't like the rule is unreasonable, or the absolutism of it overkill. Nothing irks me more than people who do stupid goddamn things on a powder day. It has nothing to do with being high on authority, and everything to do with ensuring that the violator will not do it again. As someone else said, when you break an important safety rule you're no longer considered a guest, but a liability that must be dealt with firmly.

All that being said - I've poached and ducked and all that other stuff in my day, and I'll still even be tempted when I'm not skiing at my home resort. It's a risk/reward thing. Now you know that jumping from a chair, among other things, has the potential of getting you banned for a season or more. Patrol is also wise to this, and the more important rules are designed to make the risk NOT worth it.
post #75 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool
Ridiculous!

You can't punish an adult more severly because he or she broke a rule first!
Maybe in kindergarten or the NHL, but not in real life. Absurd.
Give the other adults some credit for being able to think on their own - and punish them accordingly.
I'd generally agree with this, except that we both know not everybody on the lift is an adult. The irritation factor is also a lot higher with the first violator, no matter how much you try to control it.
post #76 of 76
the situation was handled reasonably, you did something illegal and got caught, simple. You endangered all those people's lives, and you prompted other people to follow you. You did right to be compliant. To be honest, i have jumped off a chairlift, but that was after a 25 minute wait, i got caught and i complied, it was worth it only because it was thigh deep pow but most importantly nobody else followed and nobody got hurt. Just be glad you were only gone for a week.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Patrol Shack
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Patrol Shack › Thoughts Wanted: Especially Patrollers.