New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Forum setting changes

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I've made a few settings to the forum software (vBulletin), including turning off the requirement for clicking the "Post" button to open the Quick Reply window. I have also changed the way the forum tracks threads and forums that are read, and the new setting should be much more accurate (but may take your first view after the change in settings to catch up with you).

I tried a few view changes, too, but didn't like the results, so I turned them back off. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or complaints, please!
post #2 of 15
Thanks Steve!
post #3 of 15
Yes, much better now, except for the cut and paste thingy.
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
I'll work on that some more, Bonni (haven't had a chance to visit the vBulletin support site).
post #5 of 15
I'm guessing that this has somthing with the New Posts button operating incorrectly starting this AM?

Example: Last visit, Today at 10:34 AM... new posts 499, 20 pages. Have revisited the site a few times today, get same result. Haven't tried clearing cache yet, do I need to?
post #6 of 15
your "new posts" button probably lists almost all the posts you have not viewed for some time. clicking on "mark this forum read" now works better however..

DC
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
EMS, if you mark a forum read now, it will remember what you've actually read (unlike before, where it was more time-based rather than what you'd actually read). You'll need to bring it current once and then it will work flawlessly (at least in my experience since the change; now I know I'll see all threads that I haven't read!).
post #8 of 15
When I click "New Posts", new posts to the supporter lounge don't appear to be included in the results. What's up with that??
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Coach13, nothing that I changed should have effected that. Are there threads/posts that you see as new when you visit the Lounge that you don't see on New Posts? Do you see them on Today's Posts (Quick Links)?
post #10 of 15
I like the little changes, they're definitely an improvement.

On the "mark forum read" line of thought, I would really like to see a "mark all forums read" button at the bottom of the "new posts" results page. I love and often use this feature on another forum I frequent.

J
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
jake75, that's under the "Quick Links" at the top of the page. Is that good enough?
post #12 of 15
Bingo! That's plenty good enough, I never could find it before. Thanks!

J
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
I've made a few settings to the forum software (vBulletin), including turning off the requirement for clicking the "Post" button to open the Quick Reply window.
Thank you! I've wondered why that "Enhancement" was added to vBulletin - it's been totally annoying here and on other vB sites - what's so "quick" about having to click an additional button to use the "quick" window! Glad that minor-but-annoying hassle is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
I have also changed the way the forum tracks threads and forums that are read, and the new setting should be much more accurate (but may take your first view after the change in settings to catch up with you).
Just noticed this yesterday. Nice! Scrolled down a forum page and saw a message something like "threads below have not been updated since your last visit but have posts you have not read." Very handy feature.

Thanks for all the hard work ssh, dchan, and all the other folks keeping this place running.
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkXS
Thank you! I've wondered why that "Enhancement" was added to vBulletin - it's been totally annoying here and on other vB sites - what's so "quick" about having to click an additional button to use the "quick" window! Glad that minor-but-annoying hassle is gone.
It's to allow for threads within the threads (a threaded view of a thread) so that the software knows to which post you were responding. Not of use here on EpicSki, so it didn't have any impact to turn it off.
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Good grief, I was missing a lot of stuff! Now that I can actually tell what I haven't read... Whoa!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home