EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Weather reports from resorts are Bull S...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Weather reports from resorts are Bull S...

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
I’ve learned not to trust the weather reports from the ski resorts’ websites. It’s in their financial interest to exaggerate/hype/mislead, particularly during a winter where they’ve taken a financial beating.

Case in point: I ditched work yesterday in favor of skiing at Windham mountain in the Catskills. The website had me hypnotized with their propoganda of “8+” new inches of snow.

A lot of the trails were very icy. The scratching, scraping sound was all over the mountain. I will say there was a black diamond trail and one very long green that had nice groomed powder. Bravo to that. But a LOT of the trails were icy. So much for a “powder day.” All I could think of was what type of powder is this?

So I’m learning to check the weather from weather.com and not to rely on the website of the resort. Of course they’re going to put a spin on things.

Oddly enough, the conditions were so much better last Saturday. Go figure.
post #2 of 24
That's a given in our area Jim. Other places actually have great snow and don't have to B.S.
post #3 of 24
Out here in the west I rely mostly on snowforecast.com and weather bug. Snowforecast.com hasn't made it east yet, I gather. . .

Ski resort forecasts/reports from the resorts are crap. Even when the snow is terrific, the reports are often totally inflated.

Mollmeister
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollmeister
Out here in the west I rely mostly on snowforecast.com and weather bug. Snowforecast.com hasn't made it east yet, I gather. . .

Ski resort forecasts/reports from the resorts are crap. Even when the snow is terrific, the reports are often totally inflated.

Mollmeister
I second on http://www.snowforecast.com
post #5 of 24
Alta.com is usually spot on, if not under reported.

Problem w/ snowforecast.com is that they rely only the GFS model. GFS is one of the more reliable models, but you really need to go to NWS to get the real picture. Look up the discussion section and learn the lingo. They will also tell which model ensemble is currently predicting the most accurately. For example, NAM is currently the go to model in Utah/Northern Rockies right now.

Powdr
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdr
Alta.com is usually spot on, if not under reported.

Problem w/ snowforecast.com is that they rely only the GFS model. GFS is one of the more reliable models, but you really need to go to NWS to get the real picture. Look up the discussion section and learn the lingo. They will also tell which model ensemble is currently predicting the most accurately. For example, NAM is currently the go to model in Utah/Northern Rockies right now.

Powdr
Like Powdr said.

The skiutah.com website has a link to the NWS site and they have a really cool page with webcams for the various resorts.
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdr
Alta.com is usually spot on, if not under reported.

Problem w/ snowforecast.com is that they rely only the GFS model. GFS is one of the more reliable models, but you really need to go to NWS to get the real picture. Look up the discussion section and learn the lingo. They will also tell which model ensemble is currently predicting the most accurately. For example, NAM is currently the go to model in Utah/Northern Rockies right now.

Powdr
Better snowforecast.com than weather.com in my book, though. Haven't found weather.com to be very up-to-the-minute or good with all the micro-climates around the mountains. Their overall trending predictions may be better, but when it comes to my neighborhood, they seem to be a little behind/off the mark.

Will look in discussion. . .

Mollmeister
post #8 of 24
I use this website by the National Weather Service Northwest Avalanche Center for hourly info on Pacific Northwest areas.

http://www.nwac.noaa.gov/products/

They might have similiar info for other parts of the country. Also, I like to look at resort or local web cams to get a view. Or call a local shop to get the real info.

JonnyMo
post #9 of 24
Mad River's forcasts/conditions are accurate. I have read on their site "Don't come up, today is a good day to do those errands you have been putting off" or somehting to that manner.

I do remember Camelback's forcast, saying "The sun is shining and the birsd are singing" and when I got to the mountain, it was raining and the birds were dead.
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollmeister
Even when the snow is terrific, the reports are often totally inflated.
Breck never ever inflates snow reports. Snow is measured by ski patrol and the measurements are used for avalanche control. I doubt if any colorado resort intentionally inflates snow reports because they too are probably done by patrol and they'd be in violation of the Colorado Ski Country agreement which governs snow reporting methodology.

If you don't live at a ski resort it's hard to really know. Here's an example:

Assume it snows at a 2" per hour rate between 9am and 1pm. That would be 8" of new snow that would be reported the next morning at 5am. But when you arrive from Denver, it would appear that there's no new snow. Why? Because it was all skied off the previous afternoon. You'd assume the snow report was in error but it was actually correct.

Steve
post #11 of 24
Not trying to get anyone's hackles up. . . I just can think of some days a few places in CA here in CO (even when I have been staying up there) when the ski report hasn't exactly meshed with what I found on the mountain. I am sure there is variation depending on when and where measurement was taken, and glad to know there is something in place to govern big inflation. . .

Mollmeister
post #12 of 24
if the major news media do not tell you the truth, and your politicians don't either, doesn't it seem like the idea of "truth" has become devalued?

when I lived on the East Coast I never planned on the snow reports being true. it only took one or two times to see that they were WHITE LIES with emphasis on the LIE part.
post #13 of 24

measurement problem

mollmeister, totally with you, but here I always thought the problem was that men were doing the measuring...only a man could measure this tiny little fluff of new snow that barely clears the first joint on my pinky and call it 12"......
post #14 of 24
I have the solution to my home mountains reports:

post #15 of 24
http://www.snow-forecast.com/

is this one any good? it has eastern (and many other) resorts.
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana mags
mollmeister, totally with you, but here I always thought the problem was that men were doing the measuring...only a man could measure this tiny little fluff of new snow that barely clears the first joint on my pinky and call it 12"......
Nice!

That made my evening.

Mollmeister
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollmeister
Not trying to get anyone's hackles up. . . I just can think of some days a few places in CA here in CO (even when I have been staying up there) when the ski report hasn't exactly meshed with what I found on the mountain. I am sure there is variation depending on when and where measurement was taken, and glad to know there is something in place to govern big inflation. . .

Mollmeister
You're not getting my hackles up. However, If I were the patroller that has to drive his sled up the hill at 5am to measure every morning I may be a bit insulted.

I don't anything about the methodology in CA or anywhere else. But surely you realize that on a large mountain like Vail snowfall can vary greatly at different places on the hill. The new snow report is the amount of snow that is in place on one spot when measured.

Steve
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCJIM
I’ve learned not to trust the weather reports from the ski resorts’ websites. It’s in their financial interest to exaggerate/hype/mislead, particularly during a winter where they’ve taken a financial beating.

Case in point: I ditched work yesterday in favor of skiing at Windham mountain in the Catskills. The website had me hypnotized with their propoganda of “8+” new inches of snow.

A lot of the trails were very icy. The scratching, scraping sound was all over the mountain. I will say there was a black diamond trail and one very long green that had nice groomed powder. Bravo to that. But a LOT of the trails were icy. So much for a “powder day.” All I could think of was what type of powder is this?

So I’m learning to check the weather from weather.com and not to rely on the website of the resort. Of course they’re going to put a spin on things.

Oddly enough, the conditions were so much better last Saturday. Go figure.
If a place like Windham told people what the conditions were really like, they'd go out of business.....

8" new POW = 1" of hard crusty ice particles blown out of a machine
post #19 of 24

Weather Reports

The ski areas get the report from their sources. The forcasts have been wrong over and over again. In the East it's been a tough year to call.

Mad River Glen is honest. The problem is: the information they receive is not reliable this year. Mad River is the best page for a true assessment of the conditions in the area. When you go to the home page go to weather and check out Roger Hill. He is centered in Vermont. He and Jim Romer seem to work together.

Rather than blame the integrity of the ski areas, I prefer to blame Bush.
post #20 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Rather than blame the integrity of the ski areas, I prefer to blame Bush.
AHAHAHAAHAHaahahahahha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good one!
post #21 of 24
Definitely in the East, the resorts that use Jim Roemer for weather forecasts are closest to reality. Unfortunately this year seems to be especially tough to forecast, but at least Roemer and his partner Roger Hill say as much.

I agree some resorts inflate their totals, some more than others. Another problem is that the snow we've gotten up here lately seems to be accompanied by lots of wind, which blows the snow off the trails and into the woods. Not much resorts can do about that. But they should be honest and say: Wind blew snow all over, so you'll find some icy bare spots and some really deep pockets of snow too.

Thatsagirl
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsagirl
Definitely in the East, the resorts that use Jim Roemer for weather forecasts are closest to reality. Unfortunately this year seems to be especially tough to forecast, but at least Roemer and his partner Roger Hill say as much.

I agree some resorts inflate their totals, some more than others. Another problem is that the snow we've gotten up here lately seems to be accompanied by lots of wind, which blows the snow off the trails and into the woods. Not much resorts can do about that. But they should be honest and say: Wind blew snow all over, so you'll find some icy bare spots and some really deep pockets of snow too.

Thatsagirl
RACK HIM!!
post #23 of 24
Inside info for Windham is available at www.WindhamUnderground.com , sign up for Stache's Thursday night snow report.
post #24 of 24
Most of the resorts in Utah will use this as well as another sight,can't remebr it, to get thier weather info.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/snow/mtn.php
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Weather reports from resorts are Bull S...