EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › prescription goggle anyone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

prescription goggle anyone?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I wear regular presc.glasses when I ski and I have no problem with it until I start to speed up. I always get some teary eyes. Can goggles go over my regular glasses or do I need prescription goggle/ski glasses?
post #2 of 17
I wear goggles over glasses.. You're insane not to wear goggles in my mind... because the cold wind blowing at your eyes just dries it out or at least makes it really uncomfortable to ski.

Buy goggles that are marked OTG. I have a pair of Smith goggles that are like that. Most of the OTG goggles are larger to accomodate having your glasses inside.

Some other dude posted something about perscription goggles that I thought was cool... but I don't remember the brand name anymore. They were really expensive, but looked really cool because they converted to prescription sunglasses by snapping something off. I can't use them though... I'm at like 6.75 near sighted for one eye and 5 something for the other. = (
post #3 of 17
Ctown,

I'm strongly nearsighted (-10L and -9 R) and tried prescription goggles without joy. Basically, they are set of plastic glasses, minus the arms, that snap into an oversize goggle. The presciption has to be adjusted because they sit further from the eye than a normal set of glasses.

What works best for me is set of smaller lensed glasses paired with a quality 'over the glasses" (OTG) goggles. My biggest issues is fogging glasses. This can be helped to some degree by carefully wetting the lenses with a drop of liquid handcleaner, rubbing it all about with your fingers, and cleaning off with a dry towel. Use no water. Works as well as the commercial products (cat crap, etc.) that I've tried. Generally, I have to do this a couple of times per day.

Best of luck. I still haven't found a perfect solution, although I hear the Smith Turbos (have a battery powered fan) work well. Not inexpensive though.

Dave
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpole
Some other dude posted something about perscription goggles that I thought was cool... but I don't remember the brand name anymore. They were really expensive, but looked really cool because they converted to prescription sunglasses by snapping something off.
Panoptx glasses, with wind-protection built in: www.panoptx.com. No first hand experience but I'm about to place an order. Search on "panoptx" here and you'll see a fair amount of info comment.
post #5 of 17
I have smith Turbo Knowledge OTG (two speed fan) with the Ocular docking system insert.

I used it for the second time sunday and with a good dose of antifog treatment on the lense insert (Fog tech or smith No fog cloth, it worked very well.

I would also recommend the Smith Sensor mirror lense for low/Flat light conditions. it worked better than anything I have ever used.

I am looking into Panoptx myself. thye and smith have limitations as to prescription ranges due to their curved lenses. although Panoptx has an adaptor for more extreme 'scrips that takes some of the curve out of the lense.

I emailed my prescription to Katy there yesterday and am waiting to see ewhat models can accomodate my prescription,
post #6 of 17
I now own two pairs of Panoptx Rx Glasses, grey polarized and dawn dusk progressive. They are the ultimate solution - never fog up, great visual clarity, comfortable, look good.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
I emailed my prescription to Katy there yesterday and am waiting to see ewhat models can accomodate my prescription,
I hope Katy can hook you up. When she gets back to you about what models will fit, be sure to find a local retailer where you can go try them on before ordering so you don't end up with a pair of $400.00 glasses that don't fit.
post #8 of 17
I have a couple of pairs of Bolle's with Rx inserts. They work very well. I just move the Rx insert frame from one pair of goggles to another, depending on conditions.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterK
I hope Katy can hook you up. When she gets back to you about what models will fit, be sure to find a local retailer where you can go try them on before ordering so you don't end up with a pair of $400.00 glasses that don't fit.
Already have been there a few times. Of course the Diablo Cv the one I want probably can't be done in my scrip1 i should find out today what will work. I'm also working on breaking my eyes in to Gas permaeable hard contacts. i can't wear soft in my right eye any more!
post #10 of 17
Looked at the Panoptx RX stuff. Their limit is +5/-5 diopter. Not even close for me. :

Been thinking about Lasik. Sure would be nice to read the large digit clock next to my bed without reaching for the glasses.
post #11 of 17
Read through the thread titled Goggled for the already Goggled on here too.
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_in_cinci
Looked at the Panoptx RX stuff. Their limit is +5/-5 diopter. Not even close for me. :

Been thinking about Lasik. Sure would be nice to read the large digit clock next to my bed without reaching for the glasses.
Dude, at your level, you would need contacts + glasses soon = P
post #13 of 17
A fairly new Smith anti fog cloth on the prescription insert wwith the fan works pretty damn well. Here in the PNW our humidity is very high and I ski warm and have my own weather system going on!
I
t was 99% humidity & snowing 28 degrees on Sunday. The goggles never fog and Sunday my insert stayed pretty darn fog free!
post #14 of 17
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterK
I now own two pairs of Panoptx Rx Glasses, grey polarized and dawn dusk progressive. They are the ultimate solution - never fog up, great visual clarity, comfortable, look good.
Is it the eyecup anti-fog lens or the dawn-dusk lens that they do the RX on? If it's the anti-fog lens that's the RX lens that would be perfect for me. That way I can have one eyecup for when I want to do contacts, and another for when I don't want to bother with them. Please let us know.
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passenger57
Is it the eyecup anti-fog lens or the dawn-dusk lens that they do the RX on? If it's the anti-fog lens that's the RX lens that would be perfect for me. That way I can have one eyecup for when I want to do contacts, and another for when I don't want to bother with them. Please let us know.
The RX is put in the Dawn-Dusk, main lenses of the glasses.

the CV model lets you remove the eyecup completely and just use them like regular sunglasses.
post #17 of 17
I wore glasses skiing with goggles overtop for many years. NEVER AGAIN !

go to your optometrist, tell him you want contacts. He will size your eyes then he SHOULD proceed to give you multiple pairs for free to see which work.

Monthly's last longer and are cheaper in the long run, dailys are great for wear and throw away use, with couple extra in your pocket.

I have only lost one contact skiing in over 25 days and that was this year going blinding fast on a steep groomer with googles.

Try contacts before you spend any money on specialty eyewear. Trust me !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › prescription goggle anyone?