New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mt. Snow?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I asked this question on another thread tongue and cheek, but I'm seriously wondering just how bad it is now and whether any bears will be up there -- I'm headed up Wed night thourgh Monday for my first taste of eastern skiing. It doesn't look good right now from weather reports, just wondering if it will be worth it for me to get a multi-day..bad I can take but terrible might not be worth the extra expense.. also if you are planning to be up there let me know and perhaps we can hook up for some runs! I may not be checking the forums there so you can pm me as well.
post #2 of 16
I was just there yesterday and the conditions were actually quite nice. Let me check, I might have a 2day discount coupon that I won't be using. I will post tonight.
post #3 of 16
First--I'm sure all eastern Bears are a little trepidatious about Mount SDnow being anyone's in introduction to east coast skiing--but it's ot's been a bad year all the way to Quebec so what can you do.

With that said, I just got Back from Mount Snow about 20 minutes ago---

Here's my report-There is decent coverage all things considered and due to the warm weather it was late spring soft. The North Face was moguled and fun as always-Rip cord was open with good coverage--trees were very lean--but I had my rock skis handy so they were actually fun. Biggest issue was fog/mist--visibility was down right eerie.

By Wednesday, there might be 2-3 inches of new snow and some colder overnight temps should get the guns back on (though, I'd think they'd be on the blue/green terrain first. Main North face runs should be still skiable-trees are iffy. Won't be crowded so zipping around should be pretty pain free.

Bottom line-don't expect Jackson Hole (or even Stowe in a good year)- but for family skiing, some soft bumps, a little groomer cruising-cold beer/hoty tub/decent eats at night--wednesday through friday of this week should be good.

Liam

I never ski Mountsnow on a weekend--it is as east coast as it gets--and not in a good way (i'll be patrolling at my little MA mountain B-East)
post #4 of 16

If it snows

You won't be unhappy.

The mountain crew groomers and snowmaking are doing a great job.

Don't worry about "disaster" skiing.

Liam has it right.
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Guys, you just made me feel a lot better, thanks! No, lol I am not expecting Jackson Hole - this is a family trip and I'm just looking to have a good time which I can do on skis in almost any condition. We may just do Thursady and Friday and skip the wknd, from what I've heard crowds can be pretty crazy. Phil, if you happen to have those that'd be sweet.
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Oh, one other question..any good place around West Dover or parts near to rent demos or just decent perfromance skis? (For my GF.) At Mt. Snow they want $50 :.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodro
Oh, one other question..any good place around West Dover or parts near to rent demos or just decent perfromance skis? (For my GF.) At Mt. Snow they want $50 :.
I also have a coupon for HP rentals. IIRC, they are using a Rossi B2.
post #8 of 16
I skied Mt. Snow on Saturday and, while very crowded (long lift lines), was a lot of fun. They are actually in better shape than some of the more northerly mountains, thanks to a storm last week that hit Southern VT. On Saturday they were 100% open, though IMO a few of those runs had no business being open. I spent 99% of the day yoyoing the North Face. A couple nice bump runs and the glades were okay. Skiable but you had to be careful.

Given the bad winter we've been having here so far, I thought it was pretty good.

Regarding rentals, I don't have any personal experience with any of them, but there are a number of shops in the area to choose from that will probably be cheaper than what the resort is asking.
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam

I never ski Mountsnow on a weekend--it is as east coast as it gets--and not in a good way (i'll be patrolling at my little MA mountain B-East)
Hey, so are you ever at the 'Beast on Saturdays? I've been going there a lot for the last few years, gf on ski school Only patroller I know is a guy named George.
post #10 of 16
Yeah-I work a few weekdays and try to make a weekend day as well--probably work this Saturday (I'll also probably have the kids in tow).

Look for me-I'll be the guy in the red coat
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
I was just there yesterday and the conditions were actually quite nice. Let me check, I might have a 2day discount coupon that I won't be using. I will post tonight.
I have a 20% off a two day ticket and a free HP rental. PM me your address and I will get them out in tomorrows mail.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks Phil!
post #13 of 16
Phil,

You are great! How many people would give away their freebies?
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyskier
Phil,

You are great! How many people would give away their freebies?
Thanks, If I am not gonna use them, why let them go to waste?
post #15 of 16
Just got invited to meet a friend with our kids at Mt. Snow in a week or two -- on the dreaded peak traffic Saturday no less. Any crowd / liftline management strategies beyond the obvious (arrive early, use singles line, etc.)?

I've never skied Mt. Snow but it seems like a lot of the bigger VT resorts have a "back door" entrance that avoids the main base crowds (e.g., Jackson Gore at Okemo; Sunbown at Stratton). Anything comparable at Mt. Snow?

Also, the friend is staying in Brattleboro so I might suggest we hit Ascutney instead of Mt. Snow. Mapquest says from Brattleboro to Mt. Snow is 27 miles / 41 minutes drive time; from Brattleboro to Ascutney is 52 miles / 60 minutes. Sound about right?
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts01
Just got invited to meet a friend with our kids at Mt. Snow in a week or two -- on the dreaded peak traffic Saturday no less. Any crowd / liftline management strategies beyond the obvious (arrive early, use singles line, etc.)?

I've never skied Mt. Snow but it seems like a lot of the bigger VT resorts have a "back door" entrance that avoids the main base crowds (e.g., Jackson Gore at Okemo; Sunbown at Stratton). Anything comparable at Mt. Snow?

Also, the friend is staying in Brattleboro so I might suggest we hit Ascutney instead of Mt. Snow. Mapquest says from Brattleboro to Mt. Snow is 27 miles / 41 minutes drive time; from Brattleboro to Ascutney is 52 miles / 60 minutes. Sound about right?
Avoid the main base lift lines, those are the longest ones.

There are two toher bases besides the main one for parking. One I think is generally reserved for busses only though. Carinthia Base (to the left if you are looking up at the mountain) is probably what you are looking for. I parked there last weekend though, and even that was pretty full.

The drive times you listed sound about right to me. I prefer Mount Snow over Ascutney though, even with the crowds...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel