EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Market Place › Classifieds › Classified Archive › Want Dynastar SC 9 in 182
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Want Dynastar SC 9 in 182

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Anyone have this length for sell? 04 or 05 model preferred. Need bindings too.
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffin
Anyone have this length for sell? 04 or 05 model preferred. Need bindings too.
The SkiCross 9 is going to be tough to come by in that length...since 178 and 186cm were the 2 longest lengths they made in either the 03/04 or the 04/05.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach13
The SkiCross 9 is going to be tough to come by in that length...since 178 and 186cm were the 2 longest lengths they made in either the 03/04 or the 04/05.
Really...? There were no in-between lengths produced?

I am 41 years, 6' 3" at 220 lb between an intermediate and advance skier who does groomed black (Short turns) to a fast blues (long turns) in packed Sierra powder.

Will 178's work or should I move on from the SC9?
post #4 of 16
There were no lengths between the 178 and the 186. At your weight I think the SC 9 is too soft for you. If you're set on the SkiCross line, get the SC10 in a 178 and it'll be fine.

One warning though: the SC10 is not a forgiving ski at all. That is, it demands solid modern technique and it's can not be skied from the back seat.
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach13
There were no lengths between the 178 and the 186. At your weight I think the SC 9 is too soft for you. If you're set on the SkiCross line, get the SC10 in a 178 and it'll be fine.

One warning though: the SC10 is not a forgiving ski at all. That is, it demands solid modern technique and it's can not be skied from the back seat.
Define "not forgiving" and "modern technique" for me.

I hope at 41 I am not ancient. : However, I did start to learn only 15 years ago and am in OK weekend warrior condition. Kids have slowed me down.
post #6 of 16
duffin

Speaking in general terms, modern technique has nothing to do with your age or physical condition. When someone refers to "modern technique" they are typically making reference to initiating turns by tipping the ski on edge, using the shape of the ski, and employing edging and pressure to manage the shape of the turn, as opposed to "kicking the tails" around to initiate and shape turns (skidding).

As to a non-forgiving ski. I use this term to describe a ski with a small "sweet spot" (optimal position over the skis), that punishes the skier for imprecise movements.
post #7 of 16
Sorry but I don't agree with you Coach 13.

I've used my 05 SC10 about 15 times this year. It is a great ski and I find it to be very forgiving (my other skis are Omeglass 63's).

The SC10 is a blast to ski on and I've used it for both freeskiing and for GS races.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiNut
Sorry but I don't agree with you Coach 13.

I've used my 05 SC10 about 15 times this year. It is a great ski and I find it to be very forgiving (my other skis are Omeglass 63's).

The SC10 is a blast to ski on and I've used it for both freeskiing and for GS races.
Sounds like it is a ski that is forgiving at your level.

I can definitely use modern technique, but I only get up to ski 3 - 6 days a year. I don't race, don't do bumps, just cruise. Not having foregiveness due to me being rusty on balance does sound like some work on an SC10.

Having said that, I was happy on the SC9 demo last year, but are they really too soft for 220 lb?
post #9 of 16
I was looking at the SC 9 and the guy at my local ski shop told me it would be ok but would be too soft and I'd end up overpowering it - I'm glad I went with the SC10.

FYI - I was asking about the new SC and I was told that other than the new binding system the 05 SC and 06 SC are the same - in fact it was suggested that the 05 SC was better because of the Look turntable binding.
post #10 of 16
Check out http://www.actionsportsoutlets.com/x...?cat=75&page=2

They have some 04 SC9 ($200) and 05 SC10 ($450) both in 178
post #11 of 16
Don't assume the 10 is going to be just like the 9 but stiffer. IMO, it's a matter of preference. I have skied both skis and find them equally 'easy' to ski. the 9 is livlier and lighter and softer, the 10 stable and serious and a bit stiffer. But they feel very different. like a sports car (9) vs a hummer (10). depends on what you want. (BTW, i'm a small woman, so factor that in)
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom
Don't assume the 10 is going to be just like the 9 but stiffer. IMO, it's a matter of preference. I have skied both skis and find them equally 'easy' to ski. the 9 is livlier and lighter and softer, the 10 stable and serious and a bit stiffer. But they feel very different. like a sports car (9) vs a hummer (10). depends on what you want. (BTW, i'm a small woman, so factor that in)
I definitely want a sports car because I am getting older and fatter by the minute and don't want to work too hard to have fun.

The SC 9 sounds like it it the ski for me, but Coach put a fear in me that it is too light for my 220#. Coach?
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffin
The SC 9 sounds like it it the ski for me, but Coach put a fear in me that it is too light for my 220#. Coach?
It's just my opinion, but having skied them both and owned the SC 10, I still believe the 9 will be too soft especially if you ski it hard.

That's why I bought the SC10.

One question: Why are you limiting yourself to just these 2 skis? My honest recommendation would be to pick up a Fischer RX 8 or 9 in a 175cm, which are both plenty stiff for your size, and reasonably forgiving.
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach13
It's just my opinion, but having skied them both and owned the SC 10, I still believe the 9 will be too soft especially if you ski it hard.

That's why I bought the SC10.

One question: Why are you limiting yourself to just these 2 skis? My honest recommendation would be to pick up a Fischer RX 8 or 9 in a 175cm, which are both plenty stiff for your size, and reasonably forgiving.
The reason I am focusing on the SC 9/10 is that for the past two seasons, I demo'd several ski's on the mountain. Often 2-3 types in one day and I kept coming back to the SC. Fischer wasn't available to demo.

With all the feedback, I keep thinking that the 9 will not be too soft because I don't ski hard. I cruise. I only do groomed blacks or easier now and will be skiing with my 6 year old on these runs for the next 3-5 years or until he leaves me in the dust. Wife doesn't want to tackle anything harder either.

Still think the 10's are the way?
post #15 of 16
If you're just taking an easy cruise down easy trails, the 9 would be fine.
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach13
If you're just taking an easy cruise down easy trails, the 9 would be fine.
We'll I try to take it easy down groomed blacks, easy trail it ain't sometimes.

SC 9 it is.

Thanks all!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classified Archive
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Market Place › Classifieds › Classified Archive › Want Dynastar SC 9 in 182