New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I took a lesson today.

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
I took a lesson today. With the ASC pass, we got coupon books with a number of great discounts at any ASC resort. One of those coupons was for a free “Perfect Turn” lesson. Since we were up there on a weekend, I thought it might be a good time to take it and get a chance to cut some lift lines. I go into the Perfect Turn Center with my coupon and get my redemption voucher. The young man I delt with was very helpful. I schedule a 11:30 class. I take a few runs with my family then head over at the (suggested) 11:15. The class signs posted were for green, green/blue and blue, no black. I am looking around and (obviously) I look perplexed. One of the “Blue Jackets” comes over to me and asks if I need any help. I said that I wasn’t sure where I should go for my Perfect Turns class. He said he could help and asked me “What color trails that I skied”, Now mind you I am there with my Metrons, Dalbellos, a Helmet and a helmet cam strapped to my goggles, a little deduction would show that I wasn’t a beginner/poser. I said I ski “pretty much “everything””. He asked what I was looking to “accomplish”. I said “ I am looking for a bit of refinement and since I cannot see myself ski much, some professional advice so I can see the forest through the trees”. I get hooked up with a nice young lady (Level 3 PSIA). We go out and on the lift she also asks me what I was looking to get out of the class. Since it was just me and her, I basicly got a private lesson. We shoot over to the north face where there were some bumps. Since it was about 40 deg, the bumps were real soft and fluffy, I almost wish that the conditions weren’t so good. In these conditions, you are able to mask bad habits and power though the snow, which I was doing. Basicly we worked on keeping my quieter in the bumps. She wanted me to work out of the zipperline and play with the whole trail, not to force a zipperline where there wasn’t one. I said “Like this” and skied the whole trail, she said, yeah. After the bumps we went out and did some highspeed carving…as high speed as she could do wearing a “Blue Jacket”.

Over all it was a fun class, I didn’t learn much, but I did talk some good skiing technique and evolution on technique. She mentioned that I must read a lot about skiing and the industry, I said, I follow it a bit (if she only knew). She also asked if I ever considered being a “part time instructor”, I mentioned that I did some years ago and I do work with some friends on their skiing.

I am not sure what I was expection out of the class, so I cannot say if it was successful or not, but it was fun skiing with another “pro”, and I think it was a nice change of pace for her compared to her normal class.
post #2 of 24
At K?
post #3 of 24
That sound like fun. I ought to do that one of these days.
post #4 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic
At K?
Sorry, at Mt. Snow.
post #5 of 24
Phil,

Couldn't make it to Mt Snow Sunday. I bet the snow was pretty good.

I have one of those coupons and would like to try a lesson. I have never taken a lesson. I'm sure there would be plenty to learn. A level three should be able to impart some knowledge that is lacking.

Like you said, I work with others alot and it would be helpful to have some coaching tips and basis to pass on. Most of the technical stuff that I have learned has come from Epic or from the guys I ski with. I need more material for those I work with and could use someone with an 'eye' to help me.

So the coupon is a discount, right? How much did the lesson cost after discount?
post #6 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskinow
Phil,

Couldn't make it to Mt Snow Sunday. I bet the snow was pretty good.

I have one of those coupons and would like to try a lesson. I have never taken a lesson. I'm sure there would be plenty to learn. A level three should be able to impart some knowledge that is lacking.

Like you said, I work with others alot and it would be helpful to have some coaching tips and basis to pass on. Most of the technical stuff that I have learned has come from Epic or from the guys I ski with. I need more material for those I work with and could use someone with an 'eye' to help me.

So the coupon is a discount, right? How much did the lesson cost after discount?
Coupon covers the 2 hour lesson full. I still did tip after though. Whats nice is there is a very good chance a higher level skier will end up getting a "private".
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
....One of those coupons was for a free “Perfect Turn” lesson.....
....Over all it was a fun class, I didn’t learn much, but I did talk some good skiing technique and evolution on technique.....
Well, as they say, "You get what you pay for!"... J/K

L
post #8 of 24
Phil, you should definitely join us at ESA East next year. I don't think you'll be bored with your group (I won't be in it!). You can practice your coaching on me this Friday at Elk.
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
Now mind you I am there with my Metrons, Dalbellos, a Helmet and a helmet cam strapped to my goggles...
That's probably WHY they ask you your level.
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
He said he could help and asked me “What color trails that I skied”, Now mind you I am there with my Metrons, Dalbellos, a Helmet and a helmet cam strapped to my goggles, a little deduction would show that I wasn’t a beginner/poser.
From now on should show up wearing a pair of Dobermann 150's with both bolts in the back. No one asks any questions then.
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeluvaSkier
From now on should show up wearing a pair of Dobermann 150's with both bolts in the back. No one asks any questions then.
The equipment you have strapped on means nothing. I've seen more than a few people who have the egos and money to put the best, top end equipment on their feet, yet the skills to barely get them to the bunny slope. Can you imagine what would happen if they just said "oh, you're wearing top end equipment, there's huge bumps on Rip Cord, let's go!", only to find that you were what is commonly refered to as a "poser"?

You, of all people, should know that.

Also, if you were more honest with the instructor, you may have received better feedback. When I take "paid" lessons, I always tell them the truth, and I always ask for someone who is capable of working with a L3 cert. You're still a paying customer. They're not going to tell you to go away or put you in a class with a buch of level 5-6 skiers (unless you aren't honest with them and they get confused by you).
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
... Now mind you I am there with my Metrons, Dalbellos, a Helmet and a helmet cam strapped to my goggles, a little deduction would show that I wasn’t a beginner/poser.....
Well that's just it now. With so many people able to talk the talk due to chat forums and ready access to high end equipment, how are they supposed to know who can actually back up what they say? I have many times seen the contrasting high end gear & talk with missmatched skills.

Powdr
post #13 of 24
Interesting ! My wife and I have a pair of these for our visit to Attitash/Bear Peak inMid feb Before President's week . My wife is a realative newbie who handles blues and Green but i was wondering if it would be worth it for me .

Hey i may give it shot ----BUT I"M LEAVING THE HELMET CAM HOME
post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH
Also, if you were more honest with the instructor, you may have received better feedback. When I take "paid" lessons, I always tell them the truth, and I always ask for someone who is capable of working with a L3 cert. You're still a paying customer. They're not going to tell you to go away or put you in a class with a buch of level 5-6 skiers (unless you aren't honest with them and they get confused by you).
I was honest with them. I ski everything on the mountain and that I was looking to refine my skills. But I wll say, that I was unsure past that and lets go out you maybe you can find some flaws that I cannot see.

As far as the "gaper" aspect. Line up 10 skiers all in the same high end gear, ,watch them standing and talking, any "pro" could/should be able to pick out the wannabe's. But to ask someone 'What color trails they are skiing', was kinda over simplistic to ask.
post #15 of 24
Sounds to me like it was a total success! you had fun! You did not get hurt, and you accomplished your stated goals of seeking a bit of refinement.

If there was something in particluar you were seeking and did not recieve then I think you should have asked, but it sounds like a raving success!

My lesson classes were Safety is maintained, a fun time is had and goals are achieved, well, frankly put, those are the best possible lessons in the world.

What else can be had? seriously?
post #16 of 24

Oh Yea

Sunday bumps on Free Fall were so nice.

You couldn't help but feel good

Gotta love those snow makers, they can lay down some nice suds!

Glad you had fun at Mt. Slow. We had a real snow squall to end the day. A couple of inces covered the summit by the time the bull wheels quit turning.

Topic content. I try to "sit in" on a lesson every year. It's hard to get an upper level slot. There are really few takers at that level. Small groups of "spendy" customers has been my experience.

It sounds like you got a good one.

Glad you had fun!

Regards

Calg
post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgrandy
Sunday bumps on Free Fall were so nice.

You couldn't help but feel good

Regards

Calg
Thats what we were on..Freefall.. We were on it from 12-1, then went and criused.
post #18 of 24
SkiDogNW: Sounds to me like it was a total success!

How can you say that when Phil said: "Over all it was a fun class, I didn’t learn much ..."? I think sometimes instructors look too hard for the student to tell them what they want to work on, when in fact the student is open to suggestions and expects the instructor to identify weak areas and suggest ways to improve them. I think this is what Phil was looking for.
post #19 of 24

The bumps were so good

the patrollers just kept "rat packin' . Two or three would go out, then return with big smiles. Someone would get up and request a trail "Free fall" would have three more call numbers filling the hill chiefs ear, with patrollers eager to sample the goods.

"OK" is all we wanted to hear.! Just don't leave the summit thin when the rescue call comes in. And boy they do!

Enough hi jack

Good on Ya Phil
post #20 of 24
most importantly, did you get her phone number??

Did you tell her what the Goggle-cam was REALLY for?
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB
SkiDogNW: Sounds to me like it was a total success!

How can you say that when Phil said: "Over all it was a fun class, I didn’t learn much ..."? I think sometimes instructors look too hard for the student to tell them what they want to work on, when in fact the student is open to suggestions and expects the instructor to identify weak areas and suggest ways to improve them. I think this is what Phil was looking for.
I think sometimes instructors expect their students to be "professional" lesson-takers. I also find it difficult to explain what I'm looking for in a lesson situation. I know I do many things poorly although I can't explain them in any level of technical detail. I certainly wouldn't expect them all to be improved during a single lesson, but if the instructor could find one or two areas to work on, that would help.
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
Over all it was a fun class, I didn’t learn much.
If you have pretty well developed skiing skills, you're not going to learn much in any one session. The gains mostly come in little nuances.
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB
SkiDogNW: Sounds to me like it was a total success!

How can you say that when Phil said: "Over all it was a fun class, I didn’t learn much ..."? I think sometimes instructors look too hard for the student to tell them what they want to work on, when in fact the student is open to suggestions and expects the instructor to identify weak areas and suggest ways to improve them. I think this is what Phil was looking for.
Phil also said what he was after, to work on a little bit of refinement. and also seemed to communicate thats what was delivered. He had Fun, said so himself, got some refinement to some movements, quieter upper body etc, and was safe. Thats a great Lesson when expectations can be met in a fun and safe way.

Let's face it, while there is always more to learn and room to improve, the room for improvement in leaps and bounds is much greater at level 1 and decreases as the skill of the skier improves. If Phil wanted to learn to ride a tabletop or rail in the terrain park and was disapointed because he did not learn how to, then I would easily say he did not ask to...

From what Phil wrote and communicated it seemed as though he was testing this ski school and not trying to really learn anything more than get some refinement of his skiing movements.

I find it odd to be questioned at why I think it sounds like a great lesson, though I have tried to address the "Why?" again and more directly with this second post. I don't really think Phil was complaining but rather stating his observations of his experience.

I hope this answers your concern TomB.
post #24 of 24
Phil,
Other instructors seek me out for a lesson b/c they see I can ski the way they want to ski. They give me very specific instuctions on what they are working on (or what to learn), and how they best learn something new. From there, it is my job to make a change in their movements to meet their goal.
The same goes for any lesson I teach, but I can save time if I have more specifics from the customer (which means more time for learning , skiing and practice). When I take a lesson, I give the instructor (coach) the same information I would want to know. It helps them and me.

RW
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching