EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › X-games, really sick terrain.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

X-games, really sick terrain.

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Watched the skier X comp at the X-games on ESPN this morning. It's being held at Buttermilk Mtn. in Aspen. That's really a sick mountain, with some narly pitch, isn't it? Perfect venue for this type of over the top demonstration of athletic prowess.
post #2 of 25
Ya but the coverage lacks as usual. There seems to be more need to televise and cover the motorized events rather than the skiing events. I can't believe the way they hacked the coverage of the skier slopestyle. Why didn't they just postpone it another day instead of turning it into a big air event. Then they didn't show half the competitors jump. They did show all the snowmobile event and skiercross and it looks like they're going to show all of the motocross. Since when did motorcycles become a winter sport?
I'm very disapointed with the coverage, again.
post #3 of 25
if you're disappointed now, try not watching ANY broadcast TV for 3 years and then sitting down to it again.

it all feels like it was made for 5 year old boys with hyperactivity and a need to hear everything shouted.

RACE FANS!

HOT RODDERS!

TRUCK AND TRACTOR PULL NATIONALS!

DID YOU SEE THAT SNOW BIKE AIR? OOOOOOOOOOH. THAT'S HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAHHHHT. YEAH BABY! EXTREME!
post #4 of 25
Couldn't take it anymore.

Just switched to the Golf match.

I'll tune in tonight for the pipe finals.

If I see another Kumho Tire or Mountain Dew commercial, I'm gonna hurl.

I better get my hand signals down for the boarder dudes.

And the lingo.

I'm Stoked Dude!

NOT
post #5 of 25
Where the f^ck did they find that Sal Masakala dude?

Does he do anything other than the Winter X Games?

If I ever see him on the slopes I'm gonna elbow him hard.
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Watched the skier X comp at the X-games on ESPN this morning. It's being held at Buttermilk Mtn. in Aspen. That's really a sick mountain, with some narly pitch, isn't it? Perfect venue for this type of over the top demonstration of athletic prowess.
you are way off. Buttermilk is FLAT

It is the perfect venue, but the terrain is for begginers/intermediates
post #7 of 25
way too many commercials...they should one run, then go to 4 commercials, then another run, then more commercials. F ESPN....they stink

Instead of having Xgames reruns of yesterday and today on right now, they have "the '85 Bears, where are they now" on. WTF???!!!
post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd braun
you are way off. Buttermilk is FLAT

It is the perfect venue, but the terrain is for begginers/intermediates
Thanks, lloyd. Was wondering when someone was going to pick up on that.

Somehow, extreme competition adjectives like SICK and INSANE don't seem appropriate at a mountain packed with green and blue trails with names like BABY DOE, LOVERS LANE, MAGIC CARPET and NO PROBLEM. :

The poor guys and gals in the skier X actually had to skate between turns because they were going so bloody slow.
post #9 of 25
And it all came down to wax. No matter who was the better skier, the guy who prepared their skis was the real winner. It wasn't about skis either. It was nothing but the right wax.
post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars
And it all came down to wax. No matter who was the better skier, the guy who prepared their skis was the real winner. It wasn't about skis either. It was nothing but the right wax.
Very much so.
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
That's really a sick mountain
I've never smoked that much crack. What's it like?
post #12 of 25
Buttermilk blows. really flat b/c it's the mountain for beginners. snowmass and the highlands are the places to go in the aspen area.
post #13 of 25
If you have never witnessed the games first hand it would be hard to express to you how difficult the terrain is. The snow cats transform the terrain into real expert terrain. Come out and see it live, Rick. It isn't skiing as we do it but it is expert none the less.
BTW we host world cup racing as well and it isn't on our extreme terrain either. However, when you infuse the course and add gates it becomes expert terrain.
post #14 of 25
I haven't really paid attention to the coverage plans for the season. I heard that OLN was trying to get a major part of the coverage. Any one hear anything about it? I tend to like them better. No BS just the sport in front of them.

I hate it when they spend half of the coverage time with concerts, fireworks, and shaking hands with the congressmen. I turn it on for the SPORT!
post #15 of 25
The "Battle of the Wax" .... and if that wax got you an extra yard over the roll it was a no brainer. Flat, my first ... never mind ... well she was!

The kid doing the jumps on bikes are kinda' at least showing some "balls".

But I kept asking myself .... is some skiing on a rainy day ... better than no skiing .... cause that sure wasn't real racing.
post #16 of 25
Yeah, X-Games = noise.

They strain mightily to be "gnarly" and "rad". Each shot is hacked to shortest time-frame possible. The result in an overload of rapid-cut scenes, that mean virtually nothing.

Vacuous announcers, and obnoxious music add to the effect.

I've no doubt that real athletes participate in the event. But, you'd never know it from the coverage.

It's all presented in the fervent hope of attracting Y-gen kid's who'll buy their noxious sugar water.
post #17 of 25
I understand that the course sucked compared to the US Freeskiing Open at Vail last weekend. I happened to be at Vail for that and the slopestyle course was outstanding as was the competition. However, the announcers were rude and the scoring board didn't even work. No one in the crowd even knew who was in the lead till they announced the top three at the end. At least the winners there got some real cash. $7000 for first in each event. What do they get at the XGames? Used goods for advertising purposes. The way they cropped the slopestyle into a big air comp was ludicrous and gave a definite advantage to a few individuals. The kicker wasn't even big enough to land anything more than a 1080. I won't be watching next year. I'll watch golf instead.
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Strato
Yeah, X-Games = noise.

They strain mightily to be "gnarly" and "rad". Each shot is hacked to shortest time-frame possible. The result in an overload of rapid-cut scenes, that mean virtually nothing.

Vacuous announcers, and obnoxious music add to the effect.

I've no doubt that real athletes participate in the event. But, you'd never know it from the coverage.

It's all presented in the fervent hope of attracting Y-gen kid's who'll buy their noxious sugar water.
mais oui, mon captain!
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars
I understand that the course sucked compared to the US Freeskiing Open at Vail last weekend. I happened to be at Vail for that and the slopestyle course was outstanding as was the competition. However, the announcers were rude and the scoring board didn't even work. No one in the crowd even knew who was in the lead till they announced the top three at the end. At least the winners there got some real cash. $7000 for first in each event. What do they get at the XGames? Used goods for advertising purposes. The way they cropped the slopestyle into a big air comp was ludicrous and gave a definite advantage to a few individuals. The kicker wasn't even big enough to land anything more than a 1080. I won't be watching next year. I'll watch golf instead.
c'mon Lars, wasn't it SIKKKKK?
post #20 of 25
I'm confused, did they change slopestyle to big air because of some insane TV requirement? I thought it was because it snowed a lot and they didn't 'have time' to groom the course (why not delay a day). Or did it snow a lot and they wanted it on TV at a certain time so it was changed to big air.
post #21 of 25
Yeah, it was pretty disappointing to put it nicely. Changing the slopestyle to big air was a let down, especially considering the kicker was only 65'.

The skier X was pretty boring as well. I'm not sure if it was due to the new snow, but its seemed like the course was really slow.

Also, I'm not sure who it is, but the main announcer/commentator is rediculously annoying.
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle crud
c'mon Lars, wasn't it SIKKKKK?
It was freakin sick alright. Sick of the commercials, sick of the a$$hole announcers, sick of the flashbacks to the performance of Shaun White, sick of the closeup camera shots of some acne ridden teenagers, sick of Sal Masakala, sick of freakin motor cycles being a snow sport, sick of Tucker Hibbert, sick of Blair Morgan, hope he freakin crashes, sick of ESPN's lousey coverage all together.

I'm also sick with a severe head and chest cold plus my body is sore from freakin A$$holes running into me.

I'm about ready to open a bottle of Jameson 12 year old stuff and sip a few.
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars
I'm about ready to open a bottle of Jameson 12 year old stuff and sip a few.
Lars boy, I feel your pain. What's with the freakin' motorcycles? Snow sports? Right!

Ditto on the rest.

The 12-year-old elixir may not help the head and chest cold, but it'll sooth the aches (at least for now), and help you forget about the morons on ESPN.

If kids really buy into this uber-hype, we're screwed. Who's gonna look after me when I need Depends?

Is Gen Y just a collection of mall-rats, ripe for easy manipulation by ESPN?

We Boomers may have been stoners, but at least we didn't buy-into crap like this.
post #24 of 25
You got that right Strato. At least we had enough sense to give up acid after ten or fifteen years.

Did you know Jameson was good for a cough?
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherskipro
If you have never witnessed the games first hand it would be hard to express to you how difficult the terrain is. The snow cats transform the terrain into real expert terrain. Come out and see it live, Rick. It isn't skiing as we do it but it is expert none the less.
BTW we host world cup racing as well and it isn't on our extreme terrain either. However, when you infuse the course and add gates it becomes expert terrain.

I agree, it is a sick event, TV just doesn't do it justice. Park at Tiehack and ski all of the venues and you have the best seat in the house. Town was just going off!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › X-games, really sick terrain.