New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Talons Challenge

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Any one done it? How hard is it to pull off in one day? This weekend is the "free" one for the public...

Mike
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike
Any one done it?
yes.

Quote:
How hard is it to pull off in one day?
Very easy if you're in shape and can ski the terrain.

Quote:
This weekend is the "free" one for the public...
I love the "talons" terrain and was at BC one day when they had that challenge thing going on so I did it.

The best part was that they had some really nice looking women checking people off.

The worst part is that the slopes are full of really bad skiers taking the "challenge".

Steve
post #3 of 19
Mike,

I'll be there tomorrow.

Tried the challenge last year (not on the "official" day) with some friends. Got in 11 runs of the 13, and had to stop at about 3:00 PM due to a raging headache (probably due to dehydration). Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I would have been able to finish, as my friends did.

Something good came out of it, though, in that I started skiing with a Camelbak after that, and have never had the problem since. In retrospect, I probably should have paid more attention to the eating and drinking part that day (as in any endurance event), and not been in such a hurry to finish, since it turns out we had more than enough time.

I agree with Steve that it's very do-able if you're in decent shape, and a good skier. It helps to get there early, too, just so you have the whole day to work with.

Hope it goes well for you if you try. Perhaps I'll see your name on the wall one day ...

- Scott
post #4 of 19
What's hard about it? 13 runs seems like nothing, especially if you take them at GS speed.

If you want an endurance event, check out the 24 hours of aspen. THAT is endurance...
post #5 of 19
I did it last year and was the only one that day so I had a private for the cost of a group. They kinda cheat a bit on the runs off the Grouse Mountain lift. On the day I did it we skied we did 2 runs with one lift ride 3 times. We skied the top of Bald Eagle and Falcon Park together, the top of Ruffled Grouse and then Osprey together and lastly Screech Owl and Raven Ridge together. We got done probably close to 2pm and had plenty of time to ski a number of additional runs. Overall it wasn't too demanding but I can see that it might be difficult for an true intermediate skier or someone who's really out of shape. Have fun!
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublediamond223
What's hard about it? 13 runs seems like nothing, especially if you take them at GS speed.
The runs are long, steep and moguled. 23,000 feet of moguls isn't difficult if you live at altitude and ski moguls a lot. That's pretty much a normal half day for me. But for others I can see how it would be quite an accomplishment.

Quote:
If you want an endurance event, check out the 24 hours of aspen. THAT is endurance...
I don't think just anybody can do this event. I think you have to have some pretty impressive racing credentials to get on a team.

Steve
post #7 of 19
I did it two years ago when they had it as a three-day. I did 11 runs on Friday and two more Saturday, but they gave me the Platinum pin anyway; perhaps they thought I was entitled to a Senile Citizen's handicap. It turned my skis into noodles though. If anyone wants to try Peregrine at GS speeds, let me know when so I and the Ski Patrol are there to watch.

So my name is up on the wall at the Red Tail Camp lunch stop, but I still have to pay for lunch.
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys. I went up today and took my daughter with me. Unfortuately, she was not up to the challenge, so I only skied 6 of the runs and did the rest of the day in Rose Bowl. My buddy did complete it starting at 10 and was done by 2 in time to ski Goshawk with me and a run in Rose Bowl. Definitely is possible to do it in a day, and you will feel it at the end of the day.

Lesson day tomorrow at Copper!
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by breckview
The runs are long, steep and moguled. 23,000 feet of moguls isn't difficult if you live at altitude and ski moguls a lot. That's pretty much a normal half day for me. But for others I can see how it would be quite an accomplishment.


I don't think just anybody can do this event. I think you have to have some pretty impressive racing credentials to get on a team.

Steve
I didn't know that they were moguled. That makes it more of a pain for me, since I don't ski bumps...
Still, very do-able IMO.

As far as the 24 hours of aspen, I agree that not-just-anybody can do it, but that is the point. It is an elite, strenuous event. I doubt you have to have HUGE qualifications to get on it, as it is for charity. I would think that you need to have raced for some time, and you probably need to prove to the organizers that you can ski DH well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crudmeister
I did it two years ago when they had it as a three-day. I did 11 runs on Friday and two more Saturday, but they gave me the Platinum pin anyway; perhaps they thought I was entitled to a Senile Citizen's handicap. It turned my skis into noodles though. If anyone wants to try Peregrine at GS speeds, let me know when so I and the Ski Patrol are there to watch.

So my name is up on the wall at the Red Tail Camp lunch stop, but I still have to pay for lunch.
I wish I could, sounds like fun. If it is anything like what the Birds of Prey course looks like on TV, I'll take some SG skis instead of GSes, thanks. The map indicates that it is a double diamond, but I haven't skied BC, so I don't really know what it means. There are some mighty steep pitches on the WC course though, so I bet that peregrine isn't much different.

As long as the trail is prepped decently, it shouldn't be incredibly hard to get down at speed.
post #10 of 19
Peregrine is a mine field of bumps. Bump, bumps, and more bumps. So is every other run on the list except Golden Eagle (the DH course).
post #11 of 19

This challenge is alot harder than it seems. It is 14 of the hardest and longest runs in colorado. I have personaly completed the challenge and it seemed really easy at first but by the end I could barley turn. It is one of the hardest. Althogh it is very hard it is also very fun. It will help if you are a good skier and are in good shape.

post #12 of 19
Putting it on the bucket list along with the Ensure challenge. Dang auto correct. The Enduro Challenge at ABasin.
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx2ski View Post

Putting it on the bucket list along with the Ensure challenge. Dang auto correct. The Enduro Challenge at ABasin.

 

I recommend not doing the Talon Challenge the same day as the Ensure challenge!

post #14 of 19
you guys realize this is a 2006 thread, don't you?

just making sure... ;-)
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 

 

I recommend not doing the Talon Challenge the same day as the Ensure challenge!

 

I just couldn't bear to delete that autocorrect--priceless!

post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post

you guys realize this is a 2006 thread, don't you?

just making sure... ;-)

What does that have to do with anything?

post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post

you guys realize this is a 2006 thread, don't you?

just making sure... ;-)

 

Someone searched for a thread relating to their topic and you call them out on it being an old thread?

 

Suppose he had started a new thread about an old topic. One of the 'thread' police would call him out for not searching!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 

What does that have to do with anything?


Exactly!

post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post
 

 

Someone searched for a thread relating to their topic and you call them out on it being an old thread?

 

Suppose he had started a new thread about an old topic. One of the 'thread' police would call him out for not searching!

 


Exactly!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 

What does that have to do with anything?

 

Wow! Chill out guys... didn't realize it was so easy for people to get offended! 

post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post
 

 

Someone searched for a thread relating to their topic and you call them out on it being an old thread?

 

Suppose he had started a new thread about an old topic. One of the 'thread' police would call him out for not searching!

 


Exactly!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 

What does that have to do with anything?

 

Wow! Chill out guys... didn't realize it was so easy for people to get offended! 

 

I don't think you know what "offended" means.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion