New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Packing" for ESA - Page 2

post #31 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo
I'll check to see if there's a tuning bench for hotel guests. I would think there would be. Then the informal tuning clinic (completely unnecessary in my opinion, due to aforementioned plentitude of powder) can take place indoors.
A clinic (formal or informal) has little to do with current conditions. I've always thought there would be great interest in an identified expert showing how to properly tune skis.
post #32 of 59
They'd certainly be interest from me. I'm sure spyderjon (aka "The Ski Tool" ) would be keen too.
post #33 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo
I'll check to see if there's a tuning bench for hotel guests. I would think there would be. Then the informal tuning clinic (completely unnecessary in my opinion, due to aforementioned plentitude of powder) can take place indoors.
Bringing a portable bench. I plan on using Tue evening otherwise available for the group.Staying snowbird inn arrive Sunday.

Mark
post #34 of 59
Here's what I've learned from those clinics, jstraw--'tis better to have it done by a professional than to screw it up myself.

To each his own.
post #35 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo
Here's what I've learned from those clinics, jstraw--'tis better to have it done by a professional than to screw it up myself.

To each his own.
LOL! me too. To that end, I dropped mine off on Sat for a tune and pick them up today. Bad part is, while I was poking around in the shop I ran across some sporttubes and started getting ideas. I am hemorrhaging money these days, so I probably won't - but it was tempting.:
post #36 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc gledhill
They'd certainly be interest from me. I'm sure spyderjon (aka "The Ski Tool" ) would be keen too.
Only if there's stuff for sale




And no cheap stuff mind - only v.expensive stuff that you don't really need
post #37 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo
Here's what I've learned from those clinics, jstraw--'tis better to have it done by a professional than to screw it up myself.

To each his own.
Well that settles that! :
post #38 of 59
One thing about staying at the Cliff Lodge is they issue you a ski locker and they require you to use it. There's probably a bench for the guests there somewhere. If not, the portable bench will work. I'm sure you can talk one of the pros into giving a clinic one of the evenings. In fact, Monday is a free evening.

For those who look at it from my perspective, Christy Sports/Superior Ski in the Snowbird Plaza does a great job tuning skis.
post #39 of 59
I find that a quick stone and wax is easier to do myself. However, anything more than that, I'd agree. Note that I'm not bringing a P-Tex gun...
post #40 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo
Here's what I've learned from those clinics, jstraw--'tis better to have it done by a professional than to screw it up myself.

To each his own.
Paying for a wax pretty darn expensive relative to the material and time involved; not to mention wax choice, etc.

Waxing is easy, bu I don't know about edges. I've bought a couple of tools, but so far I've been too chicken to start grinding away on delicate metal. Hence the clinic suggestion.
post #41 of 59
I'm no expert, but I'm happy to have you watch what I do--and then use my stones if you want. Perhaps they'll be an expert willing to show us, as well...
post #42 of 59
Think, less seminar - more discussion group.

What we need is a pair of B5's to "have a go" on.
post #43 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc gledhill
Think, less seminar - more discussion group.

What we need is a pair of B5's to "have a go" on.
Yours?
post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
I'm no expert, but I'm happy to have you watch what I do--and then use my stones if you want. Perhaps they'll be an expert willing to show us, as well...
I'll be interested in this informal demo.
post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
Yours?
I think he means mine : .

I might as well use the 32kg baggage allowance I have so I'll be bringing my edge tune toolkit if anyone needs it:

87 degree side guide & clamp
1 degree base guide
Brake locks
Alu-ox stone
Set of moonstones
Secret sauce
#3 Pozidriver
Leatherman & bit kit

If any 'non-Atomic' (: ) user wants me to bring 88/89 degree side guides then let me know.
post #46 of 59
Jon, the baggage allowance is two bags under 50lbs. Aren't you bothering with skis?
post #47 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc gledhill
Jon, the baggage allowance is two bags under 50lbs. Aren't you bothering with skis?
When I looked ages ago I read that it was two bags up to 32kg each but I've just checked the United websit.

Seems that they changed the rules & that for tickets bought after 7th Sept (that's us) then it's 23kg per bag.

I'm ok overall but I'll have to transfer more stuff to my ski bag & take some carry-on, which I didn't want to do.
post #48 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderjon
When I looked ages ago I read that it was two bags up to 32kg each but I've just checked the United websit.

Seems that they changed the rules & that for tickets bought after 7th Sept (that's us) then it's 23kg per bag.

I'm ok overall but I'll have to transfer more stuff to my ski bag & take some carry-on, which I didn't want to do.

Oh come on you lot... my allowance to get to ireland was 17kg plus skis and boots (they counted skis and boots as one sports kit)...

Check united - I think they would allow skis and boots as a sports kit too - so you can avoid having it weighed... then just make sure the other is <23kg.... (do not mention devious stuff like "protecting" the skis & boots from damage by wrapping in other luggage - i make sure it is ski luggage in case)

If I ditch the TV I got over here i don't think I have 23kg x 2 worth of stuff! (skis and boots exempt)Must check as i need to get home
post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderjon
Seems that they changed the rules & that for tickets bought after 7th Sept (that's us) then it's 23kg per bag.
Isn't that basically one B5 in each bag? How do you plan to carry your clothes?
post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo
One thing about staying at the Cliff Lodge is they issue you a ski locker and they require you to use it. There's probably a bench for the guests there somewhere. If not, the portable bench will work. I'm sure you can talk one of the pros into giving a clinic one of the evenings. In fact, Monday is a free evening.

For those who look at it from my perspective, Christy Sports/Superior Ski in the Snowbird Plaza does a great job tuning skis.
OK - how many pairs of skis can the locker fit? If not many, where do we park our cars for the Cliff Lodge? Will I have easy access to my car to grab ski gear if needed?

I'm on the fence between bringing tunning tools OR just bringing 4 pairs of freshly tuned skis and using a different pair each day - oh the insanity.:
post #51 of 59
Four pairs of skis could be a squeeze, Noodler. I'll ask our guy at Snowbird the question though and get back to you. I take it your ankle is feeling better?

Valets park your car at the Cliff, but they're in a lot just outside the lodge, easy enough to access.
post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wear The Fox Hat
Isn't that basically one B5 in each bag? How do you plan to carry your clothes?
Keep it up, Foxy, and you'll get buzzed from every direction by a B5 before the week is out. And your Pistols won't have a prayer! :
post #53 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler
I'm on the fence between bringing tunning tools OR just bringing 4 pairs of freshly tuned skis and using a different pair each day - oh the insanity.:
Noodler, just bring the lightweight stuff and use the bulk of what I've brought. 4 pair? C'mon! We already know you're a gear whore!
post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo
Four pairs of skis could be a squeeze, Noodler. I'll ask our guy at Snowbird the question though and get back to you. I take it your ankle is feeling better?

Valets park your car at the Cliff, but they're in a lot just outside the lodge, easy enough to access.
My comment about 4 pairs of skis was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I doubt I would haul that many pairs out there. I am still interested in how much gear a locker will hold though.

I skied today and I'd say my ankle is at about 80% handling groomers and 50% handling moguls (not sure about off-piste stuff yet). I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that I'm in better shape by ESA.
post #55 of 59
I just realized though that no one has really answered my original question about the type of skiing and drills we'll be doing most of the time.

If the concentration is going to be carving stuff on the groomers then I'll definitely bring the S12s (14m sidecut). Of course you'd definitely want a pair of boards for a deep day (wishing and hoping and praying), so really I'm just trying to decide on what pair to bring for all mountain stuff.

So can anyone shed some light on the type of skiing we will most like be doing?

Steve - what would make you think I'm a gear whore? It couldn't be the dozen pairs of skis and the 6 pairs of boots - right?
post #56 of 59
I put you in the balls-to-the-walls group, Noodler, I expect you'll be skiing most of the 5,000 acres at Snowbird/Alta. When I skied with your coach, we did exactly one formal exercise that day. We learned the new stuff on the groomed and took it out for testing in target terrain. I had a blast, learned a lot, and it stayed with me.

I recommend a pair of all-mountain skis, whatever you have that is comparable to a K2 Recon or Lotta Luv (shameless plug, but true).
post #57 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderjon
If any 'non-Atomic' (: ) user wants me to bring 88/89 degree side guides then let me know.
Jon, can you bring these side guides? I just realized that I can demo on Terry's (demo/rental) skis!
post #58 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
Jon, can you bring these side guides? I just realized that I can demo on Terry's (demo/rental) skis!
I'll have my Swix 89 with me.
post #59 of 59
I'll have an 88* guide and a couple of stones.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Epicski Academy