or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Grand Targhee
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grand Targhee

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Date skied: Jan. 9th

Conditions: Bluebird day with 13" over night.

Grand Targhee was simply terrific! We decided to hit Targhee on our first day of skiing while in Wyoming. It was like no other ski resort I have ever been to. It felt like lift served backcountry with the very limited grooming that they do. Being an east coaster, I have very limited powder experience and all the powder that this place had was just simply amazing. The snow was super deep and very light. It was also incredibly wide open. It mainly seemed pretty much all intermediate type terrain with few expert steeps. There were some trees but they were sparce for the most part. There was some nice cliffs off of Sacajawea that proved to be pretty fun for a few hucks.

For anyone going to the Jackson Hole area you definitely need to give Targhee a look for a day or two as the skiing was fantastic!
post #2 of 9
Blizz. Nice to see the snow finally didn't evade your efforts. Pictures are called for!
post #3 of 9
Blizzboy283,

You should of PM'd me. I was there Sunday and Monday. Sunday was actually better snow, although less visibility.

HB
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider
Blizz. Nice to see the snow finally didn't evade your efforts. Pictures are called for!
Yeah after my Tahoe trip, I was due for! It snowed all week we were there. Our last day at JH was the best day of skiing in my life and Targee was a close second!

I will post pics up soon.

Cirque, I was beginning to think I was a snow jinx. After 4 trips out west (3 to Utah, 1 to Tahoe) and no fresh snow, I was due for!

Jackson Hole was everything I had hoped it would be and more!
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkinBanks
Blizzboy283,

You should of PM'd me. I was there Sunday and Monday. Sunday was actually better snow, although less visibility.

HB
I bet it was, most of the snow fell that day, right? I was hoping you'd offer before I left but I didn't think it was my place to pm you and ask you. Bob Peters offered and it was a blast skiing with him at JH. I will definitely be back so we will need to make some turns then.

I think I took one of the lines that your son took in that photo you posted a while back. Was that off of Sacajawea?
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzboy283
I bet it was, most of the snow fell that day, right? I was hoping you'd offer before I left but I didn't think it was my place to pm you and ask you. Bob Peters offered and it was a blast skiing with him at JH. I will definitely be back so we will need to make some turns then.

I think I took one of the lines that your son took in that photo you posted a while back. Was that off of Sacajawea?
As I have said before, the offer still stands to guide those on the this forum around GT. But, I can't take everone of you at the same time.

Just PM me when you'll be here, and hopefully our schedules will coincide.

HB
post #7 of 9
Hey,

I'm very close to changing my approach to an early march Jackson Hole trip....I'm actually thinking of staying and skiing (5 nights/4 days) at Grand Targhee instead of Jackson--I know most stay at Jackson with one day at Targhee--is it crazy to invert that trip and go once tyo jackson and ski 3 times at targhee???

I just talked to GT's central reservations My buddy and I can ski stay slopeside (at the teewinott--any impressions here??) for what we would have paid just to stay at the bestern wester lodge in Jackson. I know Jackson's got the deep and steep over GT (or I think I know)-but I could go for a more relaxing-more vacationy ski vacation (as opposed to the mad early rush to get an early tram ride, etc). I've down the hustle and bustle hard charge ski trip plenty-maybe a little laid back ski-on ski off is what I need. Pro's and con's? Anyone actually stayed at Grand Targhee?? Will I go broke eating there (I realize that I'd be at the mercy of the hotel/resort eateries!)?

Anyway-I'm looking forward to my Wyoming ski trip--and HarkinBanks-I'd love to take you up on a local-knowledge ski tour of GT (I'll be there March 4-9).
post #8 of 9
Harkin it was great meeting you at Snowbasin. I might have to take you up on that guided tour.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah49
Harkin it was great meeting you at Snowbasin. I might have to take you up on that guided tour.
Yeah, it was nice to meet everyone at Snowbasin.

The guide service invitation still stands for anyone heading up to GT.

HB
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Grand Targhee