New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fischer RX8s?..

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I cant demo these guys anywhere but I have heard glowing reviews everywhere.. They also say that its a bit forgiving in comparison to other HP gromers.. I would probably buy the 165s.... Too much ski for a strong intermediate/advanced skier?.. I am 5'11" and kinda light at 140#s.. Going fast is not a problem but doing so gracefully... kinda questionabale .. I want to buy a ski that I can continue to go with, unlike my Blizzard X04s...

FWIW Earlier I demoed a few all mountains and liked the K2 Apache Xfires the best but figured with the NE hardpack/frozen granualr might as well buy a better carver..
post #2 of 15
If you enjoyed the Crossfires, you'll be able to handle the RX8s just fine. At your weight, I'd suggest that you could drop down to 160 easily. I skied the 165 at 175lbs, and they skied very well even at high speeds (at times in the 50mph range). They carve like a hot knife through butter, but are able to handle mixed conditions, too.

You'll really like them.

Make sure you check with dawgcatching (PM him) before buying anywhere else!
post #3 of 15
The RX-8 is a fantastic carver ski, and is athletic and nimble (I'm in my second season on them). But it's not the most forgiving or versatile ski out there (better than the Volkl 6* though). On a day with hard snow or packed powder, the RX-8 would be my first choice because I want to have fun carving. For any other condition, I would choose a mid-fat all-mountain type of ski -- with a wider waist, they are better for any type of loose/ungroomed snow. They also carve well too, but not as strongly/easily as a ski like the RX-8.
post #4 of 15
RX8s are a great Eastern ski. They will handle ice, hardpack, groomers, and up to about a foot of snow just fine. They are not quite as forgiving as a Rossi 9S Oversize (VS now) or Solomon Equipe 10 SC, but they shouldn't be a problem for you.

I weigh about 165 and enjoyed the 170 cm RX8; it struck the right balance between high speed stability and short turn quickness.
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
RX8s are a great Eastern ski. They will handle ice, hardpack, groomers, and up to about a foot of snow just fine. They are not quite as forgiving as a Rossi 9S Oversize (VS now) or Solomon Equipe 10 SC, but they shouldn't be a problem for you.

I weigh about 165 and enjoyed the 170 cm RX8; it struck the right balance between high speed stability and short turn quickness.
Thanks for the points all... The more I read and look, these look perfect...
post #6 of 15
Has anyone tried the new AMC 76?

It sounds like a more versatile RX-8. Built as an all mountain rather than a de-tuned skier cross ski. It might be worth looking into.
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by coug
Thanks for the points all... The more I read and look, these look perfect...
coug,

I bought RX8's on advice from guys from this forum last year (175's - I'm 188cms, 185lbs and wanted a slightly 'faster' length). All I can say is that I've NEVER had so much fun skiing ! They're fabulous - everything that people here say about them is true. Great carvers and surprisingly (and frighteningly, at times for me) FAST. Buy them, you won't be disappointed.

Now's my chance to thank Coach13, ssh, JimL etc. for their excellent advice - these guys really know their stuff !!
post #8 of 15
Just an opinion, but unless you are into short turns only, I would suggest a 165cm length. It will still give you quick fall line turns but the extra 5cm over a 160cm will be more stable.
post #9 of 15
With the help of the guys on this forum esp. ssh and Coach, I bought the RX8 in 175 cms, I weigh 220-230 depending on the day. I couldn't be happier. I patrol at a small local hill, and I find them very versatile.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfg
Has anyone tried the new AMC 76?

It sounds like a more versatile RX-8. Built as an all mountain rather than a de-tuned skier cross ski. It might be worth looking into.

I have heard from more than one source that the AMC series are quite a bit less energetic than the RX series. Have not seen any rave reviews of the AMC here either, which probably says something. Normally we get a consensus on the hot skis every season and the AMC has not really shown up on the radar like the RX, Metron, Head Monster, etc... have.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfg
Has anyone tried the new AMC 76?

It sounds like a more versatile RX-8. Built as an all mountain rather than a de-tuned skier cross ski. It might be worth looking into.
I was decidedly disappointed with the AMC series, especially given my love affair with the RX8s.
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 

Bought it..

I got Rx8s in 165s... I couldnt convince myself to go with the 160s.. They should be here sometime this/next week. I am spending a weekend over the 27th thru 29th at Sugarloaf and if the slopes arent down to grass by that time, I will put the ski through its paces and let you guys know.. Once again thanks for the great advice..
-AJ..
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by coug
I got Rx8s in 165s... I couldnt convince myself to go with the 160s.. They should be here sometime this/next week. I am spending a weekend over the 27th thru 29th at Sugarloaf and if the slopes arent down to grass by that time, I will put the ski through its paces and let you guys know.. Once again thanks for the great advice..
-AJ..


Hey, great! Where did you end up getting them from?

Craig'
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219
Hey, great! Where did you end up getting them from?

Craig'
Despite ssh's advice, (flame suit on)I got it off ebay.. killer deal.. 599+shipping for new 06 RX8s and Fx12 bindings..
-Coug.
post #15 of 15
coug,

great choice!!!


this is my second season on rx8's and i cannot be happier.

i reluctantly tried them in 160 because the demo guy didn't have 165's , but i love them.

i bought them flat with the riser and mounted salomon s914 bindings and THEY ARE THE ANSWER.

if anyone is looking for an awesome carving ski that will make you look better than you are... RX8.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion