or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What are good night ski goggles?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are good night ski goggles?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Yo, I go skiing every weekend from like 9am-10pm. I have a pair of A-frames, which I love. However they are the Fire lenses so when I ski at night 4-10 I can't see for sh*t. I was thinking about getting some new A-frames for night skiing. I'm not quite sure on what lense to get. I was thinking about a High Intensity yellow or a High Intensity Persimmon lense. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
post #2 of 18
Photochromatic lenses. then you don't have to be changing goggles.
post #3 of 18
I have A-frame fires, and skiing them at night is suicidal. The fire iridium is the darkest lens that I have encountered.

I have a pair of crappy smiths with a yellow lens that I used for night racing. I would have gotten a pair of a-frames with a yellow lens, but I thought it was a waste, given the number of gates I take in the face.
post #4 of 18
I've got an old pair of bolle's with clear lenses. For the torch-light this year I used my government issue ANSI clear safety glasses....

I'd go with the yellows....

L
post #5 of 18
Just get a clear lense for your existing googles. works like a charm. have used them for years. Anything with color is too dark.
post #6 of 18
how bout the smith sensor mirror lens for night. i use them on really overcast days and the make a world of difference. no experience with them at night though.
post #7 of 18
Clear.

Overcast days - problem is contrast/definition of the snow surface (even on an overcast day there's a good bit of light), so: yellow (or rose or something similar) to give more contrast in the blue range.

Night - problem is quantity of light (angle of lights gives plenty of definition), so: clear for maximum light transmission.
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjjohnston
Clear.

Overcast days - problem is contrast/definition of the snow surface (even on an overcast day there's a good bit of light), so: yellow (or rose or something similar) to give more contrast in the blue range.

Night - problem is quantity of light (angle of lights gives plenty of definition), so: clear for maximum light transmission.
SJJ, is a man of knowledge and integrity!
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by abutterer
how bout the smith sensor mirror lens for night. i use them on really overcast days and the make a world of difference. no experience with them at night though.
I just ordered some sensors for my Knowledge Tubo OTg and I am waiting for lenses for my ocular Docking system.

I just had glaucoma surgery on my right eye in October and can't wear soft contacts anymore. I am trying to wear rigid gas permeables but Wow! it is a bitch to get used to them. Thought the docking system from Smith might work. It is only $50.00 & the perscription lenses are about $85.00 so i thought it would be worth a try. Wearing my regular glasses under my goggles does not appeal to me & is not comfortable. Also they are progressive bifocals!

Also am going to order some prescription sunglasses from them. they make your script in many of their frames and lenses. spendy though, about 300 bones!

How do like the Sensor lense for cloudy and flat light days?
post #10 of 18
In the past, I've had good luck with the Night Amplifiers. I'm currently using HI Yellows for flat light days - and suspect they would work well at night. I plan to try them when I make it up at night sometime in the next few weeks.

BTW - I used to use clear goggles at night. I've found I prefer something that passes most of the light - say 80-90% - and enhances contrast. At least at Stevens where I do all my night skiing, there's usually a decent enough amount of light, but contrast is often an issue. Losing 15% of the light is a reasonable cost of doing business...
post #11 of 18
i bought them for skiing the bad days at grand targhee. if u've never been u wouldn't understand. anyway i find that the people i ski with start bitch about poor visibilty and i never noticed. they r just an incredible lens. so much better than the scratched up copper lens in my old smith regulators.
post #12 of 18
I train at night almost every night of the season. I really dont like skiing in rose, blue, or clear lenses. Clear creates a lot of glare, which is bad for paying attention to the snow surface, and rose and blue block out their respective gate colors (which sucks if you are skiing around anything that happens to be red and/or blue). So, my color of choice is always yellow. I can use it in all but the sunniest of conditions (so pretty much anytime in the east) and in night conditions. They also work great for snow storms and fog.
Later
GREG
post #13 of 18
If you're night skiing and tired from skiing all day I would suggest the "beer goggle" if for nothing else might add a little energy and a positive attitude...
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treewell
If you're night skiing and tired from skiing all day I would suggest the "beer goggle" if for nothing else might add a little energy and a positive attitude...
Yes, I agree, "beer goggles" are excellent for a good night
post #15 of 18
Be aware of that killer, Goggle Nip!!!
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
I just ordered some sensors for my Knowledge Tubo OTg and I am waiting for lenses for my ocular Docking system.

I just had glaucoma surgery on my right eye in October and can't wear soft contacts anymore. I am trying to wear rigid gas permeables but Wow! it is a bitch to get used to them. Thought the docking system from Smith might work. It is only $50.00 & the perscription lenses are about $85.00 so i thought it would be worth a try. Wearing my regular glasses under my goggles does not appeal to me & is not comfortable. Also they are progressive bifocals!

Also am going to order some prescription sunglasses from them. they make your script in many of their frames and lenses. spendy though, about 300 bones!
How do like the Sensor lense for cloudy and flat light days?
I have the same problem with having to have to wear my goggles over my glasses. What is the docking system from Smith? Do you wear the prescription sunglasses for skiing?
post #17 of 18
The ocular docking system is a clip in setup that fits inside of The Smith Knowledge OTG & the Prodigy Turbo Cam googles. It holds two lenses that you have mde to your prescription in a metal frame that clips into the lens. so you have no earpieces or bridge on you nose. they look klike ththe lenses are just suspended in air inside the google and of course both these google have smith's turbi fan.

I pick my clip in unit up today and it looks like it will work great!

You can go to www.smithsport.com & look at it. I got my len.

Yes i wear the prescription sunglasses for skiing. smith has many frame & lense options in their prescription line and they will do the prescription for you in their great lenses options.

Look around on their website. It's all there!
post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
I do my night skiing at Stevens Pass also. My mom is at the shop now picking up my RX8's I just got off the phone with her, they are out of H.I. Yellow lensed Oakleys and they aren't carrying Oakleys anymore. I guess I'll just have to get them somewhere else.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What are good night ski goggles?