New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gear for ESA 2006 - Page 3

post #61 of 78
that is NOT comforting Nolo... tell me the snow will stop NOW!

It probably won't i have this habit of bringing snow...
post #62 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by disski
that is NOT comforting Nolo... tell me the snow will stop NOW!

It probably won't i have this habit of bringing snow...
Don't worry -- I have a habit of not bringing snow... I'm hoping that your "curse" wins though. Feel free to hope that my curse wins.
post #63 of 78
Kevin, remember, your curse failed in Stowe this year!
post #64 of 78
kevin my curse is pretty strong.... arrived in whistler & they had had no snow really for a month or so..... I got told I was skiing ice (yippee).... proceeded to snow the whole 2 weeks I was there... my housemates (resident for season) asked me to go away & return!
post #65 of 78
Disski, I have been following this thread, and I apologize in advance for missing any sarcasm in your writing, but are you REALLY going to Snowbird and hoping that it doesn't snow?
post #66 of 78
I know what she means - I'm more used to pisted runs than powder so I find it harder to ski on the more variable surfaces you seem to get with fresh snow...

What I don't think she wants is a melt - just consistent conditions

Anyway - I'm too busy packing to type... leaving in 14 hrs...
post #67 of 78
I can (sort of) understand that. However, you are going to a mountain that has enormously great powder skiing, and you'll be skiing with absolutely fabulous coaches. If I can ski powder, then I am sure that these coaches will get anyone flying through powder within 1 or 2 runs. Believe me, you will not want to back to piste... I am leaving in 19 hours -- I have too much time on my hands, because I have been packed for days (okay, weeks), and my staff is ready to get rid of me.
post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbinder
If I can ski powder, then I am sure that these coaches will get anyone flying through powder within 1 or 2 runs. .

want to take a bet on that? Let us say 3 drinks
post #69 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by disski
want to take a bet on that? Let us say 3 drinks
disski, notice bob DIDN'T say "skiing through powder", but "flying through", that doesn't necessarily mean being upright, or being on skis...
post #70 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wear The Fox Hat
disski, notice bob DIDN'T say "skiing through powder", but "flying through", that doesn't necessarily mean being upright, or being on skis...
Disski -- normally, I don't take bets where there is possibility of self fulfilling prophecy... and Stewart is right: you won't necessarily be skiing with grace and elegance or even totally upright. But I'll take the bet that you'll be making some turns, enjoying it, and even be smiling. One conditon: I choose the drink of choice regardless of who wins, and Stewart joins us, because I know that he will insist on being present where drink is concerned....
post #71 of 78
do I tell you now that I believe my canadian instructors description of taking me skiing in soft fresh snow (we do not often have powder) is that it was interesting ......
I think taking me skiing and getting me to TURN in POWDER could be a very interesting expeerience for some poor fool

Hey Fox - i think Bbinder is buying you and me a drink!
post #72 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbinder
Disski -- normally, I don't take bets where there is possibility of self fulfilling prophecy... and Stewart is right: you won't necessarily be skiing with grace and elegance or even totally upright. But I'll take the bet that you'll be making some turns, enjoying it, and even be smiling. One conditon: I choose the drink of choice regardless of who wins, and Stewart joins us, because I know that he will insist on being present where drink is concerned....
Ok just in case he tries to edit this...


You do realise my usual "powder tactic" is to traverse for the closest more solid object (including trees) so that I can tell which way is up again?
post #73 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by disski
Ok just in case he tries to edit this...


You do realise my usual "powder tactic" is to traverse for the closest more solid object (including trees) so that I can tell which way is up again?
OK -- then you have to change your powder tactic -- keep your mind open to what the coaches tell you, relax, turn, smile...
post #74 of 78
ummmm current count is 7 years of private lessons .... about 40-50 on average a season all 2hours plus....

If there is fresh snow I book all day lessons... takes 'em all day to make me turn!

I prefer ice to powder.... you know the ggreen stuff... or even the stuff that I can see the grass through... anything but powder....
heavy & cut up... yeah I'll ski it...
windpacked... Ok i'll try....
sastrugi... yeah why not....

Now i may take my time & be careful with those - but i keep skiing....

powder(fresh snow for me) .... ummmm hang on lets rethink this off-piste idea huh? I just fall apart in anything soft... the softer the worse it is as I lose my feet more.... It is the sort of lie in snow & cry stuff for me.... (yes i did exactly that in whistler - why? - i could not stand self up... no idea where up was once i was down.... all tangled & confused... I HATE soft snow.... deep & soft... even worse....
post #75 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by disski
ummmm current count is 7 years of private lessons .... about 40-50 on average a season all 2hours plus....

If there is fresh snow I book all day lessons... takes 'em all day to make me turn!

I prefer ice to powder.... you know the ggreen stuff... or even the stuff that I can see the grass through... anything but powder....
heavy & cut up... yeah I'll ski it...
windpacked... Ok i'll try....
sastrugi... yeah why not....

Now i may take my time & be careful with those - but i keep skiing....

powder(fresh snow for me) .... ummmm hang on lets rethink this off-piste idea huh? I just fall apart in anything soft... the softer the worse it is as I lose my feet more.... It is the sort of lie in snow & cry stuff for me.... (yes i did exactly that in whistler - why? - i could not stand self up... no idea where up was once i was down.... all tangled & confused... I HATE soft snow.... deep & soft... even worse....
Have been having fun following this...

disski... skiing powder is like having a light switch turn on in your head. One day you get it.

Seriously.

And once you do there is nothing better.

Just be patient. It will come with practice.
post #76 of 78
did i mention anything about self fulfilling prophecy?
post #77 of 78
disski, you know I understand your challenges, but they're right: trust your coach and see what happens.

I know it's different, but I skied with my girls today (ages 9 and 11 and beginner skiers). There were a few inches at Copper. By midday they were hunting for the "powder". It's delightful, and I'm trusting that you'll get some insights, even if it's "pick the right pitch and straightline it!"
post #78 of 78
did I mention I don't do straight? even if it is 5 feet down and an uphill to follow? How do you think I got taught to edge-roll? Let me NOT do straight on a cat-track - so I was IN ... I wanted that sucker badly....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Epicski Academy