EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Food & Drink › Wine fans, give up some of your secret finds
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wine fans, give up some of your secret finds - Page 4

post #91 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainiac View Post
Try Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc at $6.99 USD......
I googled it. A NZ sauvignon blanc for that money ? You cannot go wrong.
£5 ($10) is the UK price for the cheapest NZ sb wines.

The Australians are trying to get consumers to buy the more expensive wines but above a certain price I only buy European wine. Maybe if I had tasted the stuff and it was really good I might make an exception - but old habits die hard. New World is for value and reliability so price is important to me.
post #92 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchigo View Post
I googled it. A NZ sauvignon blanc for that money ? You cannot go wrong.
£5 ($10) is the UK price for the cheapest NZ sb wines.

The Australians are trying to get consumers to buy the more expensive wines but above a certain price I only buy European wine. Maybe if I had tasted the stuff and it was really good I might make an exception - but old habits die hard. New World is for value and reliability so price is important to me.
I'm not a pro; this is almost a desert/hot weather wine, if such exists...it does now:....first sip....mango...or guava...then mild grapefruit....pineapple.... grapefruit finish.....I have never tasted anything like this in a Sauvignon Blanc...it's more like a nice Spatlese.

I would assume NZ is following the California taste trend toward unlimited fruit.....no tannins, oak or earth.
post #93 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainiac View Post
I'm not a pro; this is almost a desert/hot weather wine, if such exists...it does now:....first sip....mango...or guava...then mild grapefruit....pineapple.... grapefruit finish.....I have never tasted anything like this in a Sauvignon Blanc...it's more like a nice Spatlese.
That's a fair observation; its getting a lot of market in Thai restaurants.
post #94 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
That's a fair observation; its getting a lot of market in Thai restaurants.
Fruit flavor is obviously in.....quite an evolution from oak/tannin/near or subtle fruit of the sixties....when I started imbibing in Barcelona...:
post #95 of 106

Geyser Peak Sauvignon Blanc.......

....just won the SFC wine competition....http://www.winejudging.com/medal_winners.htm

I still think the New Zealanders got it right with Monkey Bay....what a wine......have just knocked off another boddle with a Flor Dominicana........
post #96 of 106
Budget:
Inacayal 2006 Pinot Grigio, yep a Pinot Grigio. And it's good!*




*exact words overheard coming from 4 different mouths at the weekend, prolly to describe a fruit-rich PG with smooth creamy mouthfeel nothing like the mouthwash we normally get in the cheap Italian bottles.
post #97 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
Budget:
Inacayal 2006 Pinot Grigio, yep a Pinot Grigio. And it's good!*
*exact words overheard coming from 4 different mouths at the weekend, prolly to describe a fruit-rich PG with smooth creamy mouthfeel nothing like the mouthwash we normally get in the cheap Italian bottles.
Izzat the wine that comes with the complimentary bolo set and spurs?
post #98 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainiac View Post
Izzat the wine that comes with the complimentary bolo set and spurs?
<snicker> stuff cowboy wine, this grigio has gauchismo
post #99 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
<snicker> stuff cowboy wine, this grigio has gauchismo
Ole!

BTW those pix of Valencia/America's (joke) Cup were thrilling....
post #100 of 106
Badger Mountain Vineyard from the Columba River Valley in Washington makes some great wines. They are priced around $15
http://www.badgermtnvineyard.com/

Bonterra and Frey make some good wines out of California also for around $15
http://www.bonterra.com/home.html
http://www.freywine.com/freywine/index.html
post #101 of 106
If you ever want to impress someone with your knowledge of wines from the mountainous Valtellina region in Italy (what? You might), you can tell them that Sforzato is the pick of the bunch. In fact, "Sforzat" is one of my favorite Italian wines, and most people have never heard of it.
post #102 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by prickly View Post
If you ever want to impress someone with your knowledge of wines from the mountainous Valtellina region in Italy (what? You might), you can tell them that Sforzato is the pick of the bunch. In fact, "Sforzat" is one of my favorite Italian wines, and most people have never heard of it.
Quanto lire and what does it taste like?
post #103 of 106
Moderate - to pricey:
Sweet Mountain Cab (have read their Pinot Noir is also good)
Domain Druhin Pinot Noir (Oregon)
Kenwood Jack London '04-'05 Cab

Inexpensive:
Trinchero Cab or Cab blends
Bogel Cab
Blue ?? Pinot Noir (second tier label of Domain Druhin)
Chilean reds
post #104 of 106
Cloud Nine is the second tier label you were thinking of.

Isn't it Spring Mountain, not Sweet Mountain.

and the JL from '97 rocks. Don't think you will be finding any of that around these days unless you are lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveski01 View Post
Moderate - to pricey:
Sweet Mountain Cab (have read their Pinot Noir is also good)
Domain Druhin Pinot Noir (Oregon)
Kenwood Jack London '04-'05 Cab

Inexpensive:
Trinchero Cab or Cab blends
Bogel Cab
Blue ?? Pinot Noir (second tier label of Domain Druhin)
Chilean reds
post #105 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainiac View Post
Quanto lire and what does it taste like?
Sforzato runs from 15-40 euros a bottle around here, making it a moderately expensive wine. Have no idea of its availability in the States. Here's a little background:
http://www.italianmade.com/wines/doc10445.cfm
post #106 of 106

Yo, steel tank chardonnay lovers.

Godello.

Ask for it in your tapas restaurant.

Amazing lush fruit up front, light mid body that completely disappears when served cold, minerality comparable to a trocken riesling as it warms.


Budget bottle: Vinas Godeval Cosecha 2006.

(PS I am not yet remotely sold on the oak aged ones).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Drink
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Food & Drink › Wine fans, give up some of your secret finds