EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Family Skiing Discussions › If I can't have ski poles, then I want a snowboard.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If I can't have ski poles, then I want a snowboard.

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Stop telling me I'm not old enough and tell me WHY - - - and give me another Starburst while you're at it, please.
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by See Jane Ski
Stop telling me I'm not old enough and tell me WHY - - - and give me another Starburst while you're at it, please.
you'll put your eye out
post #3 of 15
You'll poke our eyes out,,,no more questions just ski without poles ...now its past your bed time ...go to bed now
post #4 of 15
Just give the kid some ski poles.:
post #5 of 15
You can't have ski poles because you may poke MY eye out.

We even take the poles away from big people in ski school too.
post #6 of 15

No poles for my kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Just give the kid some ski poles.:
Do you have a kid you ski with? I have a 6 & 7 year old and they aren't getting poles for at least another year (this is their third year on skis). Poles are just another thing for them to drop and me to carry. Not to mention the risk of hurting someone.

When the kids are old enough to take instruction on how to plant a pole and do it properly I will get the kids poles.
post #7 of 15
Yes. They are older now, but they started with poles at an early age. The poleswere too long to reach their eyes when held with the straps on. It's not really that dangerous.
post #8 of 15
It's not their eyes ...... it's the eyes and other soft tissue body parts of the people around them.

Spend an hour in a class of six year old newbees ..... you'll be wishing you were wearing Kevlar body armor and a full face shield.

My son got his poles at the age of eight during his second year skiing. He skiied quite a bit and demonstrated the need (turns matched on blue and mild blacks) and the "common sense" ... or he knew they would be taken away.
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki
It's not their eyes ...... it's the eyes and other soft tissue body parts of the people around them.

Spend an hour in a class of six year old newbees ..... you'll be wishing you were wearing Kevlar body armor and a full face shield.

My son got his poles at the age of eight during his second year skiing. He skiied quite a bit and demonstrated the need (turns matched on blue and mild blacks) and the "common sense" ... or he knew they would be taken away.
I guess I've been pretty lucky; my kids understood at an early age to be respectful of and careful with dangerous things like pointy sticks.

Now that you mention it, the thought of having my kids in a class full of the typical 6-year old armed with ski poles is quite SCARY: .
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by See Jane Ski
Stop telling me I'm not old enough and tell me WHY - - - and give me another Starburst while you're at it, please.
Just give the kid a snow board...
post #11 of 15
Wow this is funny troll all 4 years old of her. Howm any 4 year old can get online and access a web forum anyways?
post #12 of 15
Aided and abetted by a shady character "Janesdad" .. ??
post #13 of 15
Yeah, I actually found her in front of a subscription web page for the pay-to-play section of Playhouse Disney yesterday - so I am not so sure....
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
I guess I've been pretty lucky; my kids understood at an early age to be respectful of and careful with dangerous things like pointy sticks.

Now that you mention it, the thought of having my kids in a class full of the typical 6-year old armed with ski poles is quite SCARY: .
It isn't being respectful and careful that is the issue it is the accidents/falling/dropping of polls that is the issue. Add to that the fact that most 6 year olds don't get any benefit out of/use poles there is no reason to give them poles. In addition learning to skate on flats is better for their skiing than relying on poles to push across flats.

I realize that this likely doesn't apply to your kids when they were 6 because I am sure they were making technically perfect pole plants from thier first time on skis and never fell .
post #15 of 15
I was told, by an instructor, no poles until level 6, linked parallel turns at our home mountain. My son doesn't need them right now anyway.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Family Skiing Discussions
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Family Skiing Discussions › If I can't have ski poles, then I want a snowboard.