EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › How many days in a row can you go on snow?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How many days in a row can you go on snow?

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
I thought I was in shape by this point -- today is day 30 for the season. After spending 12 of the last 13 days on snow (took Christmas day off), I'm not so sure anymore! My body feels like I've been through hell and back for some reason. Between teaching the holiday week non-stop, picking up the sniffles from the kids, and freeskiing the last few days, I can barely move. I've even tried switching between skiing and snowboarding in order to abuse different body parts, to no avail.

Worst (or best) part is, I've got another 6 days to go before I limp back to the real world...

I know this thread was around earlier in the season, but what's the longest you guys can or have gone on snow in a row before throwing up the white flag for a day or so?
post #2 of 27
Gee, it must suck to be you.

I skied 10 of the last 11 at Okemo. I think the must in a row was 11 days. I have lost count right now but I think I'm about 22 day's so far this season. Got a late start. But with the new year it's now time for vacation days. The first ones will but Jan 12th and 13th, for Eastern Cup SG at Okemo.

Will have to meet on the hill some day.
post #3 of 27
Being a Brit I ski in week blocks mostly and used to have a two week long trip every year, so that's 14 days straight.

I used to find that it got easier, not harder, in the second week because my technique improved as the snow time increased.
post #4 of 27
Last year I had a stretch where I was on skis 14 out of 17 days. My legs were absolutely shot by about day 12 or so -- I hopped (well, more like flopped) onto the massage table, and she fixed me up, and I was good to go for the last couple.
post #5 of 27
Well the sniffles will knock you out anyway! I've been completely run down the last few months and topped it off with a stinking cold just before and into Xmas. First day out of the season was excellent. Second day I took a tumble and injured the knuckle at the base of my little finger which is still giving me gip over 2 weeks later, day 3 I did two runs and felt so rotten I bailed despite wanting to ski. In other words, if my general health (not fitness) isn't in good nick, my skiing is badly affected.

We did a couple of years or so with two consecutive weeks but I was mentally skied out by about 2 days before the end so now we do 2 separate weeks and stay fresh. We are also close enough to ski at weekends and the little and often approach seems to work well.
post #6 of 27
I believe that 19 days straight is my best. But this year, coming back from last year's knee surgery, I've been attempting to be nice to my knees and haven't gone more than 5 days straight. I really wanted to ski today, but my knees were begging for mercy and I had work to do so I skipped it. But I have 39 days in so far this year, so I guess I'll live.
post #7 of 27
7 days on snow in a row is my best to date although it looks like 9 straight coming up in CO at the end of this month.
post #8 of 27
>>But with the new year it's now time for vacation days

just a small observance on one of life's tiny ironies...that there are people who need to take vacations away from skiing.
post #9 of 27
Working as an instructor at Sugarbush in the 1995-1996 season, I actually skiied 70 days in a row.

Initially, I wasn't trying to set any personal records. I was teaching in the Children's Ski School, where the big money came from getting a group of kids who were there for the whole week, since it was guaranteed work, and the parents would usually tip well at the end of the week if you had them for five days. Taking a day off during the week would mean potentially losing the group to another instructor. So ... if I wanted a day off from skiing, it would have to be one or both of the weekend days.

The only problem was that I loved skiing so much, that I wanted to get in as much as I could on my days off, especially if I had been teaching beginners all week.

So, I just kept skiing.

After 4 weeks or so, I became more aware of my "streak". There were a few days that I considered not skiing, but went out anyway, even if it was just for a few easy groomer runs in the morning.

Of course, keep in mind that a good number of these days were spent "skiing" backwards in a reverse wedge on the beginner hill, and sneaking in a few runs between lessons. Not exactly lots of vertical or mileage, but skiing nonetheless.

There were definitely some days when my legs were tired, and my feet hurt, but I couldn't bring myself to stop working, or stop skiing when I wasn't working. I just loved it all too much, even after 70 days.

The streak finally ended when I sprained my ankle, playing basketball of all things, with a few of the other mountain employees.

I just got back from 4 consecutive days skiing in Summit County, and it's funny to think back at doing 70 days in a row 10 years ago. It seems almost inconceivable now, based on how I feel after just four.

But it is possible ...
post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 
UPDATE: Just got back from the mountain, and although I hurt in all the usual places, I think I feel better than I did at this time yesterday! I went out on one of my e-bay impulse buys from a few years ago: 193cm Volkl P40 F1's, which are definitely too tall for me and probably too stiff. Due to this, I was basically park & riding them for 10-15 turns down the hill !

The fact that I mostly stayed out of the bumps & the park probably helped a little, too. It's back to work tomorrow though, so we'll see how it goes. Well, back to teaching the kiddies -- my fun job, that is
post #11 of 27
Last year I skied every day from December 10 through March 31 and then took three days off to drive to and get acclimated to Snowmass, where I skied my last five days for the season.
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskitoofast4u
UPDATE: Just got back from the mountain, and although I hurt in all the usual places, I think I feel better than I did at this time yesterday! I went out on one of my e-bay impulse buys from a few years ago: 193cm Volkl P40 F1's, which are definitely too tall for me and probably too stiff. Due to this, I was basically park & riding them for 10-15 turns down the hill !

The fact that I mostly stayed out of the bumps & the park probably helped a little, too. It's back to work tomorrow though, so we'll see how it goes. Well, back to teaching the kiddies -- my fun job, that is
P40 F1's,

Hairybones, his wife and I got on the Northstar behind some one on the green, black and white F1's and were entertained (laughing) that someone would still be skiing on them. Thanks for adding to our enjoyment. If I would have known it was you I would have said something. There's not to many funny things we miss around Okemo. Did you see the guy in the red one piece with the red court jesters hat?
post #13 of 27
i think I've done 30.....

I usually go to the snow for 4 weeks..... book a lesson every day..... that sort of tends to stop me backing out unless I actually get sick.....
post #14 of 27
Today was my 35th day on snow this season. Usually I log 125-135 a year but last year was the least with 111 days. Talk about stiff, well there are some parts of my body that don't get stiff anymore but my quads were screaming for the first 10 days. Hope to keep the string going but we will need some help from Mother Nature in the East to make it possible.Pray for SNOW>>>>


Skiing is like sex, you don't have to be good to enjoy it...
post #15 of 27
I never skied more than about 7-8 days in a row, but I don't see any reason to have trouble skiing day after day when you are young and in shape. Of course, it all depends on how you ski. Ski hard enough and you need to rest and recuperate - like any other sport. Take it easier and avoid injury and you can ski every day all winter.

After 7-8 days on snow I feel like I could continue all winter.
post #16 of 27
Wow, reading all this makes me jelouse. I think 5 days in a row is the most. We ski 3 then take a day off then 2. I do this for the wife. Me, I could go the whole trip.
post #17 of 27
One year when I wasn't working Early 90's I skied every day the hill was opened. Well over 120 days in a row, although I must admit there were a lot of half days and some days where I only did a run or two cuz conditions really sucked.

There are several locals here that make a point of skiing every day. One guy skis every day all day and claims he skis 5 million vert a season ( I never stopped to figure it out but I suppose it's do-able.
There's another guy here eveyone calls "Every Day Ted" he comes out at noon and skis for at least 2 hours no matter what kind of weather or conditions. The man is 68 or 69 yrs young and hasn't missed a day in years.

Yeah it is nice to live in a ski town
post #18 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Capacity
P40 F1's,

Hairybones, his wife and I got on the Northstar behind some one on the green, black and white F1's and were entertained (laughing) that someone would still be skiing on them. Thanks for adding to our enjoyment. If I would have known it was you I would have said something. There's not to many funny things we miss around Okemo. Did you see the guy in the red one piece with the red court jesters hat?

Alas, that was not me...the P40's I was on are red/white/black.

I did see the guy in the red one piece though...I have to introduce you to the game my sister and I play all the time. It's called "My Team." Basically, anytime you see someone wearing a ridiculous outfit, you yell My Team! Whoever has the most members at the end of the day wins.

Then again, we've both got good cases of ADHD, so maybe it's not nearly as entertaining for the rest of the world...
post #19 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB
I never skied more than about 7-8 days in a row, but I don't see any reason to have trouble skiing day after day when you are young and in shape. Of course, it all depends on how you ski. Ski hard enough and you need to rest and recuperate - like any other sport. Take it easier and avoid injury and you can ski every day all winter.

After 7-8 days on snow I feel like I could continue all winter.
It's the ski hard enough part that's been getting me. Spending 6 hours picking kids up off the snow and being paranoid about not losing them or having them taken out by an errant skier or snowboarder, combined with several days off going bell to bell skiing nothing but bumps, park & pipe, and cruisers at high speed, my body is begging for a respite.
post #20 of 27
About ten days, then I need a day or two off.
post #21 of 27
I see no point in taking a pleasurable recreational sport and turning it into a work-like commitment. Don't take the fun out of it. If you are ready for a break, do something else. This reminds me of when our ski area implemented vertical plus. All your vertical feet are tracked in a computer and you can get prizes. A million vert for a pair of skis did me in. I skied my butt off piling up vertical feet rather than enjoying myself. I have an old pair of Dynastar 4X4 to show for it. Anyway, take a break, or go find a challenge that is new. Ski a chute or huck a cornice that scares the crap out of you. That makes up for a lot of boredom. Take a day off and do something different. Your family will thank you, and you will be too ski2fast4me again when you get back on the slope.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc gledhill
Being a Brit I ski in week blocks mostly and used to have a two week long trip every year, so that's 14 days straight.

I used to find that it got easier, not harder, in the second week because my technique improved as the snow time increased.
Ditto. (but for being a brit...)
I frequently skip a day or two, when the weather is bad, though.
post #23 of 27
My longest run so far was 100 in a row. I was much younger then. Now, my body could do it, but I don't have the burning need I did when I was younger.
post #24 of 27
Given 20 years in the service and a cuurent location that's 5.5 hours from any skiing, 10 days is the most for me. It does look like I'll get 11 in at the ESA/Gathering though.
post #25 of 27
21 days straight is the most I've ever gone. I think doing a few then a day off is the best way to go though. You can maintain a routine like that further into the season than just going hardcore every single day. Plus, if you're resort person the weekends suck due to crowds, so those are good to take off. Unless, there's like a foot of new or something.
post #26 of 27
Might pose the question more narrowly. Not surprisingly many are responding in terms of the usual thread of how many consecutive days they got on the slopes regardless of how much actual skiing or what kind of skiing that was. There is no comparison in how ones body will feel after spending most of six or more hours skiing advanced terrain versus having a run or three down some easy intermediate slopes. There are many locals at ski areas that have impressive numbers of consecutive skiing days, but all they have done on many days is a run or two. So the real question would be how many consecutive full skiing days qualified by where and what. Obviously a week at Snowbird is likely to be far more taxing than a week at Keystone.

Personally I ski difficult terrain at resorts with serious terrain. Even mid season after having built up peak strength and endurance, cannot go more that a few days before my body is asking for a break. Especially if I'm skiing lots of moguls. On the other hand on some powder days I often ski all day without ever breathing hard. I could always keep on skiing more consecutive days but it's the usual little aches and pains that are telling me my body needs the usual break. One reason I'm never likely to take the usual week long destination skiing vacation with plans on skiing full time every day.

...David
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_SSS
Might pose the question more narrowly. Not surprisingly many are responding in terms of the usual thread of how many consecutive days they got on the slopes regardless of how much actual skiing or what kind of skiing that was. There is no comparison in how ones body will feel after spending most of six or more hours skiing advanced terrain versus having a run or three down some easy intermediate slopes. There are many locals at ski areas that have impressive numbers of consecutive skiing days, but all they have done on many days is a run or two. So the real question would be how many consecutive full skiing days qualified by where and what. Obviously a week at Snowbird is likely to be far more taxing than a week at Keystone.

Personally I ski difficult terrain at resorts with serious terrain. Even mid season after having built up peak strength and endurance, cannot go more that a few days before my body is asking for a break. Especially if I'm skiing lots of moguls. On the other hand on some powder days I often ski all day without ever breathing hard. I could always keep on skiing more consecutive days but it's the usual little aches and pains that are telling me my body needs the usual break. One reason I'm never likely to take the usual week long destination skiing vacation with plans on skiing full time every day.

...David

If you ever been to Fernie Dave, you would know that we have serious terrain, I spend 90% of my time off piste, groomers are boring. When I grew up here as a kid they only had 1 or 2 snowcats and they were broke down half the time. Us Fernie kids grew up skiing off piste. Many locals here do the everday thing all season and spend most of their time in the knarl...it's all about your lifestyle and conditioning...it's different when your here and skiing is a lifestyle rather that a vacation destination.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › How many days in a row can you go on snow?