or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Going off in Jackson Hole

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
This morning's avalanche report:

"At the mid and upper elevations new snow and very strong winds have created new soft surface slabs up to four feet deep. Large dangerous naturally released avalanches are likely and could flow into lower elevation runout zones. The Glory Bowl slide path was triggered early this morning by the Wyoming Department of Transportation and ran to the Teton Pass highway. Travel in avalanche terrain is not recommended today."

10" of new as of 6:00am this morning. More snow yesterday and the day before. More snow tomorrow and through the weekend. And it's snowing like a banshee right now.

The skiing is good here.
post #2 of 44
Just north of there Big Sky got 15" overnight and Bridger Bowl got 16". This is a great storm.
post #3 of 44
Well Bob,

I hope you get out to enjoy it!!! Skiing's pretty good here too.

L
post #4 of 44
4-foot deep slabs ready to let go and over a foot of new weight on top - sounds like pretty scary (or is that stupid) skiing to me.
post #5 of 44

Epic snow

Epic year in Co. as well. Although I can't help but feel that somehow that 10" of new snow you guys got was somehow supposed to be for us, in Co....I guess being "first in line" helps. I have been watching the snow carefully and see lots of layers getting covered after glazing or getting windburnt. I will certainly be careful later this season.
post #6 of 44
as if I don't say this often enough...

you're a lucky man, Bob Peters!

make some nice turns for me, will ya?
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzostrike
as if I don't say this often enough...

you're a lucky man, Bob Peters!

make some nice turns for me, will ya?
And post pictures too!
post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderline
And post pictures too!
Anyone have recent pics of JH, particularly Corbetts? I am headed out there for the first time in January, and am thinking of hitting Corbetts.
post #9 of 44
Corbets is a must do - one I dreamed of hitting since I was young and did it 2 years ago.

What I experienced, and was told, is that the entrance is ALWAYS icy and then improves below depending on recent snow. When I hit it the entrance was bullet proof but below was near waist deep as it had been snowing for 2 days.

Post pics when you hit it!
post #10 of 44
powstash, how big was the drop when you hit it?? It looks like it varies depending on the base.
post #11 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderline
And post pictures too!
Here you go:

BTW... yes, Gonz, I really am a lucky man. As you may or may not know, I'm a part-time instructor this season. I took these photos of my "students" this morning. They're really good skiers from South America and I'm skiing with them for ten days. Life is good.

Here's the son:




Here's the daughter:



And here's the very proud father:



Woo Hoo!
post #12 of 44
I am green with jealousy!

great news on part-time instruction. and thanks for the great enviable snow pics.
post #13 of 44
Fantastic Bob. Tahoe weather has been so variable. I have managed to ski over the holidays in heavy wet snow and nuking rain so far. Those powder pics make me truely envious. Big storms are lined up and we will see abundant moisture over the next week. I can only hope it is snow as remotely nice as what you are enjoying.

Have a great New Year!

Tom
post #14 of 44
Very active control day. 1-3' new snow slabs all over the place. In one uncompacted area we took out a slope that broke in new snow, stepped to above the Thanksgiving layer and then went to just above the ground. 4-10' of debris covering the entrance to a pair of blue trails. At Big Sky, The Lenin slide path went out 4-8' deep and missed the top terminal of the Shedhorn lift by about 50'. Castros Face slid pretty big but what was amazing is how far the debris field ran, about 1/4 mile to the Larkspur trail. Tower # 8 on Challenger took a direct hit from the BRT slide path but wasn't damaged.
At the Yellowstone Club, a path called Steins went full depth climax and barely missed the towers on the Lake Lift.

In all, a very full and exciting day.

Tomorow we will open more terrain and begin prep on re-opening the N. Face of Lone Peak.
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunion
Very active control day. Tomorow we will open more terrain and begin prep on re-opening the N. Face of Lone Peak.
what's the snow been like, texture/consistency wise?
post #16 of 44
What's the drop like into Corbet's? Is there a steep landing so you can ski/ride away cleanly without augering in?

Chest deep? Oh, so NICE!

post #17 of 44
what's the snow been like, texture/consistency wise?

Wed. we had freezing rain to about 7K. Above that level, dense wind compaced, Cascade type cement. Wed. Nite an energetic storm system with lots of water moved through with strong west to SW winds, 20-40 mph. Above treeline the new snow was dense and in between hard and soft slab. Below treeline the snow was everything from fluffy blower to thick meringue.
post #18 of 44
Thread Starter 

Here's a Corbet's Shot

This one is from pretty far away, but it'll give you a feel for it. It's the very obvious hole in the cliff line, left-center in the photo. I'll find out today if they have opened it yet.

We've had 30" of snow since early Wednesday, so I would think they might be getting close.

post #19 of 44
Wow.

I just had to cancel my trip next month because of a pretty bad problem with a herniated or "bulging" disc.

It is definitely going off- you guys enjoy it
post #20 of 44
Bob, awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Here is the east coast powder that I will be skiing on tomorrow --> click here

32 days and counting until my plane leaves for JH
post #21 of 44
Only been there once, didn't snow but it was great. Moguls, moguls, moguls. Hope to get back there someday soon.
post #22 of 44
Forty eight days till my plane leaves for Jackson Hole. Does anyone have any idea as to where the " hole" part of the name came to be, Just dosen't seem appropriate to me.
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritski
Forty eight days till my plane leaves for Jackson Hole. Does anyone have any idea as to where the " hole" part of the name came to be, Just dosen't seem appropriate to me.
I think it means a valley surrounded on all sides by mountains.
post #24 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritski
Forty eight days till my plane leaves for Jackson Hole. Does anyone have any idea as to where the " hole" part of the name came to be, Just dosen't seem appropriate to me.
Ritski:

"Hole" is term the trappers and mountain men used for an open, flat valley in the western mountain ranges. As I understand the term, holes were places where the trappers would spend the winters. Because the mountains are so inhospitable during the winter, much of the wild game (FOOD if you're a trapper) would migrate down into the valleys and the trappers would winter there too.

There are other "Holes" around the northern Rocky Mountains. Pierre's Hole in Idaho, Big Hole in Montana, and many others I'm sure. Ours was named after David Jackson and was originally known as "Jackson's Hole".

Interestingly enough, every now and then some of the town officials circulate the idea of changing the name of Jackson, WY to Jackson Hole, WY. Many tourists, upon arriving at the town of Jackson, ask the locals where Jackson Hole is. It's kind of confusing.
post #25 of 44
Thread Starter 

Very bad news this morning...

This is posted on the Bridger-Teton National Forest avalanche site this morning:

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Two backcountry skiers, Rhys Harriman and Craig Ball, did not return from a ski outing on Teton Pass at 1 PM yesterday. Anyone with information regarding thier location or destination should call the Teton County Sheriffs Dept. at 307-733-2331. Intense snowfall, strong winds and warming temperatures have created DANGEROUS unstable conditions on a variety of aspects and slope angles. Storm totals since Monday at the Raymer study plot are 48 inches of new snow with 5 inches of moisture. Soft slabs up to six feet in depth could release naturally or be triggered and run full path. TRAVEL IN AVALANCHE TERRAIN IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

I skied quite a lot with Rhys when he first moved to Jackson Hole. He's a very experienced backcountry skier. We're hopeful that they've made an emergency bivouac somewhere and weren't avalanched, but it doesn't look good at all.

I received several calls last night asking if I had talked to anyone who might have skied the Pass yesterday, but I was at Teton Village all day. If any of you were on Teton Pass yesterday and have any information at all that might establish a time and place where they were spotted, please call the sheriff's office. Info on any avalanche activity you might have seen on the Pass would probably be useful as well.

Hoping.
post #26 of 44
Oh my.
Bob;
I have not logged in or checked anything since before Xmas, what with busy family stuff and now in FLorida with the inlaws.
Looks like Santa brough a huge sack of snow to JH last few days. And thx for the great pics. Have fun with your new SA friends.
Feb 11 can't come soon enough..........*********************
post #27 of 44
...And just saw your avalanche note. We hope your friends are found safe
post #28 of 44
Best of luck to your friends, Bob.
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters
This is posted on the Bridger-Teton National Forest avalanche site this morning:

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Two backcountry skiers, Rhys Harriman and Craig Ball, did not return from a ski outing on Teton Pass at 1 PM yesterday. Anyone with information regarding thier location or destination should call the Teton County Sheriffs Dept. at 307-733-2331. Intense snowfall, strong winds and warming temperatures have created DANGEROUS unstable conditions on a variety of aspects and slope angles. Storm totals since Monday at the Raymer study plot are 48 inches of new snow with 5 inches of moisture. Soft slabs up to six feet in depth could release naturally or be triggered and run full path. TRAVEL IN AVALANCHE TERRAIN IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

I skied quite a lot with Rhys when he first moved to Jackson Hole. He's a very experienced backcountry skier. We're hopeful that they've made an emergency bivouac somewhere and weren't avalanched, but it doesn't look good at all.

I received several calls last night asking if I had talked to anyone who might have skied the Pass yesterday, but I was at Teton Village all day. If any of you were on Teton Pass yesterday and have any information at all that might establish a time and place where they were spotted, please call the sheriff's office. Info on any avalanche activity you might have seen on the Pass would probably be useful as well.

Hoping.
Just a note- Rhys & Craig got disoriented in the storm conditions, dug a hole and spent the night- they skied out today. Smart decision made by experienced guys.
post #30 of 44
Thread Starter 

Happy New Year

Well, they were able to walk out this morning. I don't have all the details yet but it sounds like the weather got so bad late yesterday afternoon that they felt that traveling was too dangerous so they dug in and spent the night in a snow cave.

Doesn't that make for a Happy New Year? We really hadn't dared to hope that it would turn out so well.

Thanks for the thoughts and well-wishes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion