New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Burlington Night Life?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
A bunch of friends and I will be spending the next few days in Burlington. I've not been there. Is there much of a night life? What are the good places to check out.

Restaurant recommendations would also be appreciated.
Skiing Stowe and Sugarbush. I hope they have lots of snow and don't get too much rain. I'm using lots of Tech Wash and TX.Direct right now, just in case.
post #2 of 19
....Magic Hat Brewery and Ben and Jerry's factory would pretty much do it for me! Can you get any better than good beer and ice cream?
post #3 of 19
Downtown Burl has plenty of good options for nightlife. Check out along Church Street for eats, then Ruben James, What Ales You or the Metrodome for post dinner. There's an American Flatbread in Burl now and Single Pebble is awesome if you like Asian food.
post #4 of 19

Check out

Necter's(sp)! But how old are you. The place rocks with live music. I've seen some great gigs there. Phish started out there in the early 80's. I used to go there in the mid 70's and it's still going strong. It is a younger crowd. The music makes a difference regarding age also.
post #5 of 19
I was in downtown Burlington for the first time this December and while I didn't see much of it, it really looked like there were lots of places to eat, shop, drink, and party. Looked like it had a great deal to offer. Something for everyone.

Ty
post #6 of 19
Burlington is a college town, so there is no lack of nightlife or places to eat. I am assuming you're legal drinking age. Nectars, Club Metrodome and Red Square are the top places for live entertainment. Most places are within walking distance around the Church Street Marketplace pedestrian mall/Main Street area, so you can just wander in and out till you find a place that suits your musical tastes and state of crowdedness.

Hard to say where you should eat, since you don't mention budget and kind of food you like. But you should find plenty to choose from in the Church Street area. Most have menus posted outside so you can look them over before going inside.

On the way back from Stowe, stop for microbrews at The Shed or find rowdy apres-ski at Matterhorn or Rusty Nail (often has live music). Near Sugarbush, both Mad Mountain Tavern and Blue Tooth are usually jamming.

Thatsagirl

NOTE: Oops, not Red Door, should be Red Square.
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsagirl
Burlington is a college town, so there is no lack of nightlife or places to eat. I am assuming you're legal drinking age. Nectars, Club Metrodome and Red Square are the top places for live entertainment. Most places are within walking distance around the Church Street Marketplace pedestrian mall/Main Street area, so you can just wander in and out till you find a place that suits your musical tastes and state of crowdedness.

Hard to say where you should eat, since you don't mention budget and kind of food you like. But you should find plenty to choose from in the Church Street area. Most have menus posted outside so you can look them over before going inside.

On the way back from Stowe, stop for microbrews at The Shed or find rowdy apres-ski at Matterhorn or Rusty Nail (often has live music). Near Sugarbush, both Mad Mountain Tavern and Blue Tooth are usually jamming.

Thatsagirl

NOTE: Oops, not Red Door, should be Red Square.
If you don't mind driving a bit, (and it is not really far) there is lots of food and shopping in South Burlington and on the Essex/Essex Jct side of town as well. Tend to be more of the chain style restaurants like Sirlion Saloons, Olive Garden, that sort of thing.

If you are roughly college age---I'd second the Church Street, pedestrian mall area. You;'ll find something for everyone down there.

There is a great breakfast place on the lake end of downtown---I don't recall the name---a diner style place---to start the day.
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsagirl
Burlington is a college town, so there is no lack of nightlife or places to eat. I am assuming you're legal drinking age. Nectars, Club Metrodome and Red Square are the top places for live entertainment. Most places are within walking distance around the Church Street Marketplace pedestrian mall/Main Street area, so you can just wander in and out till you find a place that suits your musical tastes and state of crowdedness.

Hard to say where you should eat, since you don't mention budget and kind of food you like. But you should find plenty to choose from in the Church Street area. Most have menus posted outside so you can look them over before going inside.

On the way back from Stowe, stop for microbrews at The Shed or find rowdy apres-ski at Matterhorn or Rusty Nail (often has live music). Near Sugarbush, both Mad Mountain Tavern and Blue Tooth are usually jamming.

Thatsagirl

NOTE: Oops, not Red Door, should be Red Square.
Great suggestions just wanted to mention that the Mad Mountain Tavern in Waitsfield has been closed for a couple of years now. Also wanted to add that a side trip to Montpelier, smallest state capital, for an evening is fun. Lots of great places to eat, Sarducci's being my personal fav.
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHrefugee
Great suggestions just wanted to mention that the Mad Mountain Tavern in Waitsfield has been closed for a couple of years now. Also wanted to add that a side trip to Montpelier, smallest state capital, for an evening is fun. Lots of great places to eat, Sarducci's being my personal fav.
Mad Mountain Tavern is closed? Darn, that was a great place!

Yep, Sarducci's is wonderful.

Thatsagirl
post #10 of 19
My memory is foggy at best as were my eyes most times I entered or exited, but I believe it is (or was) Nector's. Do they still serve Poutine downstairs? They had some of the best hot turkey sandwiches ever. It's a one-stop shop - food, drink, live music.

For an alternative nightspot, try the Chicken Bone Cafe - it's unique. College crowd hangs at Last Chance Saloon. I could never afford What Ale's You, but my rich friends took me there a few times. Seemed a little stuffy to me, but maybe my perspective has changed some. Last time I was up there, I had a beer at the Vermont Pub & Brewery and another at an Irish Pub on Church Street. You can MapQuest these to find them. When I went to school in the 79-83 time frame there were reputed to be 64 bars within 1 mile of campus. Never counted 'em all, but it seemed like an underestimation.

For a real Burlington diner experience, go to Bove's cafe on lower Pearl Street. Unbelieveable Italian food. Henry's Diner is (or was) the place for breakfast - it's on Bank Street, less than a block west of Church St. For higher end fare, Leunig's Bistro on Church Street was a popular spot...I could never afford that kind of food, so I had to take people's word for it.

I would avoid the chain restaurants. You can go to them in Generic-ville any time. There's too much good food and drink in B-ton to waste your time with Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc.
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohansson
My memory is foggy at best as were my eyes most times I entered or exited, but I believe it is (or was) Nector's. Do they still serve Poutine downstairs? They had some of the best hot turkey sandwiches ever. It's a one-stop shop - food, drink, live music.
It doesn't help to have blurry eyes and a blurry neon sign! But it is spelled Nectar's (see their website liveatnectars.com for musical lineup). And yep, they still serve poutine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohansson
I would avoid the chain restaurants. You can go to them in Generic-ville any time. There's too much good food and drink in B-ton to waste your time with Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc.
Here, here! Skip the chain restaurants. You'll find great food in Burlington in all price ranges.

Thatsagirl
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohansson
For a real Burlington diner experience, go to Bove's cafe on lower Pearl Street. Unbelieveable Italian food. Henry's Diner is (or was) the place for breakfast - it's on Bank Street, less than a block west of Church St. For higher end fare, Leunig's Bistro on Church Street was a popular spot...I could never afford that kind of food, so I had to take people's word for it.

I would avoid the chain restaurants. You can go to them in Generic-ville any time. There's too much good food and drink in B-ton to waste your time with Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc.
Henry's! thats it! The Breakfast place.

I agree about the chain restaurants, just mentioned them as an option.
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsagirl
It doesn't help to have blurry eyes and a blurry neon sign! But it is spelled Nectar's (see their website liveatnectars.com for musical lineup). And yep, they still serve poutine.
Do you think we should let the uninitiated know what poutine is??? They shouldn't miss it!
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Great suggestions just wanted to mention that the Mad Mountain Tavern in Waitsfield has been closed for a couple of years now
The MMT is now Local Folks Smokehouse - same bartenders and owner of the Mad Mountain Tavern. The MMT was taken over by a Jersey guy who thought 'hey, how cool to own a bar in VT'..and then proceeded to piss off the VT State Police, break several liquor laws and have his liquor license suspended. John Morris, who owns the building and originally opened/owned the Tavern, was able to take the building back over (it was leased to Jersey boy) but couldn't get the MMT name back as he had sold the 'business' of the MMT. Local Folks is an awesome bbq joint now and a great apres ski place - still does live music, but now is non-smoking and closes around 11pm instead of 1am.

The Hyde Away is great for both apres and dinner as well, as is The Den in Waitsfield too. The Blue Tooth is supposed to be opening for the season, weekends only, although rumor has it that it has been sold..again.
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotamagal
The MMT is now Local Folks Smokehouse - same bartenders and owner of the Mad Mountain Tavern. ...
Thanks for the update. Good to know the same folks are back to running it.

Thatsagirl
post #16 of 19
Johansson,

Did you go to UVM? The Bone? You must have. I used to go there before it was remodled.

Nectars still has great food. He was there in '75 when I was at UVM.

The place rocks!

As for the Mad Mountain, that place was a lot of fun too. The folks were real Vermonters with the exception of the tourists. What I found most fascinating: the women with the braided arm pits. You don't see that much around here. I'm glad it's reopened.
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul jones
Johansson,

Did you go to UVM? The Bone? You must have. I used to go there before it was remodled.

Nectars still has great food. He was there in '75 when I was at UVM.
Yeah, I was on the 5-year plan 78-83. Too much skiing and time spent at the Bone as well as the Last Chance, & Nectar's put me on the "Dean's Other List". I haven't been back to the Bone since 83. When did they remodel it? I heard it was still open, but never made it down there the last time I was in town.
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotamagal
The MMT was taken over by a Jersey guy who thought 'hey, how cool to own a bar in VT'..and then proceeded to piss off the VT State Police, break several liquor laws and have his liquor license suspended.
Can't explain the situation any better than you did. I have heard mixed reviews so I guess I should try it myself. The owners of Gallaghers and Egan's Big World switched places. It has worked out great for Bernie and Big World but not so great for the Gallaghers side of it. The Phoenix in Sugarbush Village also has live music.
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotamagal
..and then proceeded to piss off the VT State Police, break several liquor laws and have his liquor license suspended.

I hear that that is not hard to do. They keep tight controll in Vt.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel