or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Hauling the Quiver....Do you?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hauling the Quiver....Do you?

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
So in a family of two with 10 Sets of skis......
Volkl: Pro184, Exp177, Race Tiger180, 724 Motion170, P40 178, P50 173, Porsche P50 (177, 156 cm), Porsche GTS 161.
Atomic Metron B5 162

Would you Load all of them up to take to the hill "just in case"?

I wish I had the time back that I've spent arguing with the man of the house about why he NEEDS to take all of them every time! :

I can look outside and easily pick two for the day trip.
post #2 of 41
You haul all of those for a DAY trip?!

That seems excessive to me. But then, this board has shown me heights of excess I never imagined Also, I only own two pair of (workable) skis.

Do you have a roof box? I often feel the urge to bring both sets. But I feel nervous about leaving a set on the car rack (even more since my car was broken into a couple of months ago) If I had a roof box, I'd always bring both sets.
post #3 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInSeattle
You haul all of those for a DAY trip?!

That seems excessive to me. But then, this board has shown me heights of excess I never imagined Also, I only own two pair of (workable) skis.

Do you have a roof box? I often feel the urge to bring both sets. But I feel nervous about leaving a set on the car rack (even more since my car was broken into a couple of months ago) If I had a roof box, I'd always bring both sets.
Thank you! I figured two sets was reasonable, just in case conditions change.

We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Since it's just the two of us, we put the back seats down and load em up! We aquired a large piece of boat upholstery to lay between the layers of skis so they don't touch.
Due to the proximity of our parking and the alarm system in our jeep, theft has not been a concern.

So...I'll just keep loading em up & taking em out, and embrace the fact that my husband and I LOVE skiing together

Maybe we can have some fun with some real gear junkies in this thread!
post #4 of 41
I thought I was nuts hauling 6 pairs for two people.

On most days we have 2 pairs pp.
post #5 of 41
Wow, I only have 2 pairs of skis:

1) 154cm (107-63-97) Elan HCX
2) 168cm (116-76-102) Elan M662

I only take one pair for a day trip and I alternating between the 2 regardless of conditions. I change skis because I enjoy the different characteristics, not because of the conditions.
post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalce
I thought I was nuts hauling 6 pairs for two people.

On most days we have 2 pairs pp.
Are you taking all 6 pair out west? If you were planning on that---then I'd concur with the "nuts" label .

How many you haul in the car---assuming you have secure storage for those pair not in use---and you don't have to haul them all over creation---doesn't sound too nutsy to me.
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_j
Are you taking all 6 pair out west? If you were planning on that---then I'd concur with the "nuts" label .

How many you haul in the car---assuming you have secure storage for those pair not in use---and you don't have to haul them all over creation---doesn't sound too nutsy to me.
I am taking just my Metrons out West.

We have a Murano that can fit all the ski gear inside for a weekend trip.
post #8 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalce
I am taking just my Metrons out West.
Does your wife know this???
post #9 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_j
Are you taking all 6 pair out west? If you were planning on that---then I'd concur with the "nuts" label .
I think it's easier to take the whole quiver for a day trip than to haul them all for an "away" trip.
I only live 40 minutes from our local slopes
post #10 of 41
You really only need a maximum of three pairs per person, but two should be plenty for any normal day trip. I usually take one pair to practice, and take two or three pairs when I free ski. In the east it is a pretty sure bet that you are going to be skiing on ice if you're on groomers, or icy bumps if you're skiing bumps or trees... so its pretty easy to pick. Plus I ski almost every day so I know what to expect and what the conditions are doing. For your needs I would say to take one pair of carvers and one pair of freeride skis per person... So... thats 4 pairs.

If my family took everything when we went skiing we would have:
Elan GSX
Salomon Equipe GS (LAB)
Elan SLX
Elan SX Fusion Pro
Nordica Dobermann SLR (05)
Nordica Dobermann SLR (06)
Elan S12 Fusion
Fischer RC4 RC
Elan SLX WC
Volant Machete FB
K2 Axis AK Launcher
Salomon Equipe 10 3V
Fischer RC4 SC
Salomon Xscream Series
Salomon Skiblades (which I'm not exactly sure where they are, but we still own them I think)

Transporting that kind of quiver requires seperate vehicles... much like the quiver Atomicman has to carry around...

Later

GREG
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick
I think it's easier to take the whole quiver for a day trip than to haul them all for an "away" trip.
I only live 40 minutes from our local slopes
Have you thought about fabricating a large carrier/storage unit, like a giant oldskool "Ski Tote", that you can just transfer from house to vehicle??

For me, the packing would kill it for me. But I'm lazy (or, "motivationally challenged", to be PC about it).

I'd also be a lot more comfortable leaving them in a roof box than inside the car. But I freely admit that I'm momentarily paranoid due to my recent break-in.
post #12 of 41
I'm in agreement with most of the comments - 2 pairs typically, 3 pairs in extreme cases or when I'm really on more of a mission to "test" the skis and not trying to cover all conditions.
post #13 of 41
Girl, you have the b5s. He just isn't going to understand. You just keep beating him to the bottom of the hill and make sure he loads and unloads all the other skis...
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick
Would you Load all of them up to take to the hill "just in case"?
Just in case of WHAT?????????: : : What could possibly happen that you need 9 pair of skis with you???????: : :

Besides, the Metrons cover all aspects of all the other skis. All those Volkls will make a fine chair this summer .
post #15 of 41
clearly this constellation of symptoms indicates a haemorrhage of the monetary sort. the trick is finding the precise location.
post #16 of 41
trekchick -

He takes 10 pairs of skis up to the hill everytime the two of you want to go skiing??? Gee, if I did that I'd be afraid of someone breaking into the car while I was out skiing and stealing the pairs I left behind.

The good news is that the two of you enjoy skiing together. That's really the important thing. Everyone has their own idiosyncrasies, and if the 10 pairs of skis thing is his, then you're pretty lucky it isn't anything more annoying than that.

Dave
post #17 of 41
I only take two pairs to the mtn and I only do that about 33% of the time.

Typically I really do not want to go back to the car in middle of the day.

So on a small powder day I take my powder boards and my crud boards.

On days the will start very hard and than soften up to spring conditions (very typical in sierra) I bring my short 6* or GS skis and my crud skis.

But on most days it is easy enough to know the ski that will be good all day before leaving the house.
post #18 of 41
I took 3 pair to Telluride last year. Bought an A J Kitt ski bag so I could fit them.
Guess what? The gestapos at Telluride airport and American Airlines hit me for $50 on the way back because the bag was too heavy.
Oh! the complications of having too many skis.
post #19 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
Girl, you have the b5s. He just isn't going to understand. You just keep beating him to the bottom of the hill and make sure he loads and unloads all the other skis...
Funny! He actually changes his skis more since I got the B5's because he just knows he has something that will give him the "edge" on me!
post #20 of 41
Obviously he doesn't work fulltime because he is too busy tuning his huge quiver.

Seriously anything more then 2-3 pairs is just unnecessary.
post #21 of 41
On driving trips, I usually take 3 pairs.

When I fly, I take 2.
post #22 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
Just in case of WHAT?????????: : : What could possibly happen that you need 9 pair of skis with you???????: : :
Just in case my husband has a million scenarios for his needs.
I think it's Just in case, I kick is a$$ and he want's to find out if another set will help him out.
In the past, I'd start with the p50 and switch to the 724 motion later in the day when conditions changed but.....you know

Quote:
Besides, the Metrons cover all aspects of all the other skis. All those Volkls will make a fine chair this summer .
Love my Metrons! I think I will be happy with them for all my needs.....well most of my needs. Still need the husband for some things!

I thought this would be a fun thread for the gear junkies. Are "We" having fun yet? The "Me" part of "We" is!!!!
post #23 of 41
Bring the quiver ???? --yeah right ,uh huh, sure ,like i really want to spend my ski day in serious "Analysis Paralysis" rather than skiing.


i own 3 prs but Pr 2 &3 are ROCK skis or for visting company who did not bring gear
post #24 of 41
My truck has a cover over the back, which has a ski rack that I built in it. My 6 pairs of skis stay in the back of my truck for most of the winter. Only coming out when they are being skiied, tuned, or waxed.

Fate favors the prepared mind.
post #25 of 41
I travel with two pair, but choose one for any given day and then deal. So I'm curious - you guys who actually take multiple pairs to the slope - do you lug two/three pair up the mountain, or leave them at the base and ski all the way down to change, or leave them in the car and walk back to it at lunch? Or just cogitate a lot in the lift about whether you're on the right pair? Either way, seems like too much of what economists call opportunity costs - you lose several runs a day in exchange for scheming, lugging and swapping skis.
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond
I travel with two pair, but choose one for any given day and then deal. So I'm curious - you guys who actually take multiple pairs to the slope - do you lug two/three pair up the mountain, or leave them at the base and ski all the way down to change, or leave them in the car and walk back to it at lunch? Or just cogitate a lot in the lift about whether you're on the right pair? Either way, seems like too much of what economists call opportunity costs - you lose several runs a day in exchange for scheming, lugging and swapping skis.
I only switch skis if conditions drastically change or my skiing needs change.

Like for instance I might ski on my SL9s or M:XIs from 8-11:30 just doing laps and then switch to my 1080s to go ski with my beginner friends after lunch.

Most of the places I go have parking right at the base area and it's a 100 yard walk to swap out my skis.

Most days I just pick one pair and deal unless I break them.

The Metrons allow me to ski everything so I rarely change them.
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick
Funny! He actually changes his skis more since I got the B5's because he just knows he has something that will give him the "edge" on me!
You go, girl!

Keep 'em tuned and waxed. Just wait until you get him in a few inches of fresh. Or, even better, cut-up with some bumps and hardpack! He won't know which to pick and you'll be out rippin' it up.

Remember, when he goes back to the car, you keep skiing.
post #28 of 41
If I am parked close to the Hill, getting there around 7:30 helps, I will take a few speed runs on groomers before the joeys arrive on my 182 superspeeds. Once the trails get a few people on them this becomes dangerous, and I will change to my Allstars or my AC4s.
post #29 of 41
My place is ski in/out. If there isn't any new I am usually on a long GS in the morning and then switch to a more appropriate ski late morning. I always have an extra pair sitting by the deck in case of a mechanical.
post #30 of 41
My quiver contains one pair of skis :-P

You people have way to much money/time on your hands. Forget the analysis, just ski!

When I think of someone with 10 sets of skis, I think of a person who sits in the lodge for hours talking about how great the conditions are out there.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Hauling the Quiver....Do you?