EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Tremblant Strike is full time now
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tremblant Strike is full time now

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
That's right. The Union voted to expand their complete resort wide union strike for the rest of the season or untill a contract is signed. The Tremblant resort is dead and the graves are being dug as we speak
post #2 of 29
Amazing. The official resort site is asking its customers not to show up this weekend. http://www.tremblant.ca/media/press/...20051215-e.htm

Sure hope strikes don't become popular. I was not even aware of a unionized ski area.
post #3 of 29
What are the labor issues?
post #4 of 29
I guess they treat their workers almost as shitty as they treat their skiers.
post #5 of 29
they're open today
post #6 of 29
Well this might be controversial, but I think it is about time the service workers get some representation. Around here many many people are foreign seasonals, plus UT is a "right to work" (one of the many Orwellian republican coinages) state so there is zero chance of that happening. But besides lousy wages when all of these workers showed up this season there was often nowhere for them to live. And the resorts have taken very little or negative interest in actually having accomodations available for these folks. (One resort reportedly even sold off their low-income accomodations.) But w/ all of that the lifties are smiling and cheerful. Bunch of young Aussies just wanting to ski!

From everything I've heard on this forum, Tremablant (Intrawest?) seems horribly managed.
post #7 of 29
'Power to the people !'

I agree with what 'brother' Lodro says above. Contrary to what certain elements in the media would have you believe, Union members are not usually keen to go on strike. Why would you put yourself to that trouble and lose pay unless you had serious issues ?

From a European perspective, I am interested in the Intrawest comments. I started a thread on Snowheads about US companies buying into European resorts but I did not then know Intrawest had a poor reputation as employers.

Intrawest are looking to get involved in Flaine - one of the nearest French resorts to Geneva airport - but somewhere I have never been, because it is mostly self-catering apartments and washing up does not appeal. I had hoped Intrawest would build some decent hotels, but it seems they will just build more flats to sell to people who then have to make them available on rental for the first ten years. Sounded like another real estate deal as far as I was concerned. Nothing that would add to the attractiveness of the resort for me.

In Europe, I am never aware of who owns ski areas. All this heavy company marketing is just not present. I only hope Intrawest do not get a sufficient foothold to jack up lift prices.

I am also interested in the Utah comments. Are unions banned in Utah ? I knew US led the field in union busting, but I did not know they were that successful.
post #8 of 29
Quote:
I knew US led the field in union busting, but I did not know they were that successful.
Intrawest is a Canadian company, not US.
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA
Intrawest is a Canadian company, not US.
To clarify: my union busting reference was a response to the comments on Utah - not those on Intrawest.
post #10 of 29
Thread Starter 
Intrawest made serious offer to the union this evening. Union should accept it but they will not from what my source told me. My message board has most of the info and it is going nuts over this stupid strike. So if you need more information go to this link

http://kokotele.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=general

And for the record. I don't hate intrawest. I just see the potential this area has and the ugly direction it is going. That is why I try to get the best honest information out to people. My site is free. I make no money at all from it.
post #11 of 29
Intrawest owned a big chunk of Mammoth since the mid 90's until just recently. It made major efforts to upgrade the area and in my opinion did an excellant job. Did I agree with all their decisions? NO... Did they make it a much better area? Yes And prices went up about the same as other Ca. areas.
post #12 of 29
ooh, how dare those workers try to get decent treatment from their employer. Striking will HARM that big business! They are evil terrorists. Unions are so bad.

Why do Americans fear collective action by workers so much? What this country needs is a damn sight more of it.
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant
Why do Americans fear collective action by workers so much? What this country needs is a damn sight more of it.
Please take any conversation of this nature to the lounge. Thanks.
post #14 of 29
SSH-Point of information *only* sans opinionating. I've opened a line of discussion about resort workers in the Lounge. Followups there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchigo
I am also interested in the Utah comments. Are unions banned in Utah ?
No, not 'banned' per se. Instead "closed shops" are banned. A closed shop means that anyone that becomes an employee must also join the union. On first glance this looks like it gives workers more freedom, but it effectivly destroys collective bargaining because people have no incentive to join the union. Tricky, huh?
post #15 of 29
wow we rarely get strikes of that kind in europe, although in europe everyone is gay and singing so thats one reason, but i think thats bad with the workers, like they are providing entertainment and all, What is this world coming to
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo
wow we rarely get strikes of that kind in europe, although in europe everyone is gay and singing so thats one reason, but i think thats bad with the workers, like they are providing entertainment and all, What is this world coming to
Whaaat??? : : Ever been to Italy?
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
Please take any conversation of this nature to the lounge. Thanks.
Would you explain this. I don't see where this subject is a problem.:
post #18 of 29
I would guess it is because this thread is turning from discussing Tremblant, to discussing the United States policies on labor groups. It will soon morph into Repulicans vs Democrates, which will in the end lead to name calling and someones feelings getting hurt!
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr
It will soon morph into Repulicans vs Democrates..
Ya, that was my fault as I used the dreaded R word..
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider
Would you explain this. I don't see where this subject is a problem.:
Das Commissar has spoken! Silence!
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpSKI
Whaaat??? : : Ever been to Italy?
Of course i do, usualy to Florgiaria near verona, very nice place, but i never ran into any problems over there and its still really unheard of except the eastern european countries
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr
I would guess it is because this thread is turning from discussing Tremblant, to discussing the United States policies on labor groups. It will soon morph into Repulicans vs Democrates, which will in the end lead to name calling and someones feelings getting hurt!
Thats usually when the threads get entertaining
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonse
Thats usually when the threads get entertaining
I agree! Now if we could just get Charlotte Moats out there walking the picket line in her bathing suit, while we all skied around with babies in backpacks, with ski equipment we bought from Cuppolos, we would really have something to talk about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

: : :
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr
I agree! Now if we could just get Charlotte Moats out there walking the picket line in her bathing suit, while we all skied around with babies in backpacks, with ski equipment we bought from Cuppolos, we would really have something to talk about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

: : :
Oh, and to bring some other forums in, we'd need to agree that Markers pre-release, one should cant inside for a-framed skiers, that PSIA are a bunch of uptight old-timers still obsessed w/ skidded turns, that Yoga causes ski injuries..
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodro
SSH-Point of information *only* sans opinionating. I've opened a line of discussion about resort workers in the Lounge. Followups there.



No, not 'banned' per se. Instead "closed shops" are banned. A closed shop means that anyone that becomes an employee must also join the union. On first glance this looks like it gives workers more freedom, but it effectivly destroys collective bargaining because people have no incentive to join the union. Tricky, huh?
Lodro,
Thanks for that information. In Britain there are not many closed shops either -the actors union Equity is the only one that springs to mind.

However a closed shop is not a pre-requisite for collective bargaining here. You only need 50% of the workforce for that. You will also need a majority in a heavily regulated postal ballot to take industrial action.

One downside is that union members get annoyed paying subs and then seeing non-members freeload and reap many of the benefits members pay for.

Secondary picketing as per the Irish Ferries dispute, where other workers came out in sympathy with the seafarers, is also outlawed in Britain.
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo
Of course i do, usualy to Florgiaria near verona, very nice place, but i never ran into any problems over there and its still really unheard of except the eastern european countries
Italy is famous for strikes. From museum guides to transportation workers. Maybe EU membership has changed all that.
post #27 of 29
In Quebec union shops are closed. It is also very easy to form one, generally not requiring a vote. Only needs a majority of the employees to sign a union card. I think that about 40% of Quebec employees are unionized; no idea how that compares to elsewhere.

And if we're talking politics it should be: the Liberal vs the Conservatives vs the NDP vs the Bloc Quebecois vs the Green Party vs the Christian Heritage Party vs .... (lots of political parties up here)
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchigo
However a closed shop is not a pre-requisite for collective bargaining here. You only need 50% of the workforce for that. You will also need a majority in a heavily regulated postal ballot to take industrial action.

One downside is that union members get annoyed paying subs and then seeing non-members freeload and reap many of the benefits members pay for.

Secondary picketing as per the Irish Ferries dispute, where other workers came out in sympathy with the seafarers, is also outlawed in Britain.
Interesting. Is this post-Maggie or pre?

Off hand it sounds pretty similar actually, which is interesting given British labor history. You also can do collective bargaining w/o full representation, but I'm frankly not sure what the conditions are for that.

But as you say the big issue is freeloading. You're asking a few people to take on the load that will end up helping everyone. And it is not just dues and what not -- while technically union members are supposed to be protected from punitive firing and other employment discrimination, my read is that the Bush administration and others have not exactly gone out of their way to make sure that that is actually enforced.

The more interesting issue is that as the service economy replaces the industiral economy the conditions for organization are much more difficult, while at the same time it is much more needed because pay and benefits are so much worse.

Unfortunatly it seems part of the growing general trend of more and more money going to a few and litller and littler going to the people at the bottom that are doing a lot of the really hard work. I'm not some kind of crazy leftie, I just don't think that that is healthy culturally or economically.
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodro
Interesting. Is this post-Maggie or pre?

The more interesting issue is that as the service economy replaces the industiral economy the conditions for organization are much more difficult, while at the same time it is much more needed because pay and benefits are so much worse.

Unfortunatly it seems part of the growing general trend of more and more money going to a few and litller and littler going to the people at the bottom that are doing a lot of the really hard work. I'm not some kind of crazy leftie, I just don't think that that is healthy culturally or economically.
Changes were instigated during the Thatcher years of the early 1980s.

However, 'new' Labour has no intention of repealing them. Tony Blair's party is virtually a 'Conservative-Lite' outfit. So much so that the new Tory leader, Cameron, has said he will not oppose Labour on many issues, as they are both singing off the same hymn sheet.

The trend you identify is known as 'the race to the bottom' and is something that mainland Europe, as opposed to the UK, does not engage in.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Tremblant Strike is full time now