New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stockli Snake

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I have the ability to get a pair for a decent price.

I currently have Salomon 1080s in a 171 and think they are too soft.

I like stiffer skis like Atomics and Volkls but have never skied a Stockli.

Should I just go with it?
post #2 of 18
get them! they seem to be what you are looking for. super stable at speed, good edge grip etc. no freestyle noodle. great ski! i was lucky enough to ski them for a week. and heck do they look good...
my nr. 1 shopping list item. maybe next season...

oh, i skied the 170 at 160lbs. enough for any speed. for deep snow use, one could go longer.

i originally had written a much longer post. but my pc crashed twice i a few minutes...

but you will find some of my posts about it here.
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdan
get them! they seem to be what you are looking for. super stable at speed, good edge grip etc. no freestyle noodle. great ski! i was lucky enough to ski them for a week. and heck do they look good...
my nr. 1 shopping list item. maybe next season...

oh, i skied the 170 at 160lbs. enough for any speed. for deep snow use, one could go longer.

i originally had written a much longer post. but my pc crashed twice i a few minutes...

but you will find some of my posts about it here.
Thanks for the post

I have read your previous posts but please giveme more info to make me feel better.

What bindings were on the ones you demoed?

The 170s are what I am looking for so I won't go longer.
post #4 of 18
don't waste time. get them.

there were some tyrolia rental bindings on them with very little lift. not worn out, so they did what they should: keeping me connected to these great skis.

seriously, if i had the cash i would buy them instantly. they felt that that rock solid.
post #5 of 18
Is there more than 1 pair available? Is the deal really good? If so, PM me!
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdan
don't waste time. get them.

there were some tyrolia rental bindings on them with very little lift. not worn out, so they did what they should: keeping me connected to these great skis.

seriously, if i had the cash i would buy them instantly. they felt that that rock solid.
Were the skis mounted in the powder position?
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
How come the Snake is listed as having an ISO core instead of wood?
post #8 of 18
i think they were mounted NOT in the pow position.

i would even buy them if they were listed to have potatoe core. come on, it's such a nice ski.
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
I skied yesterday on my Salomon 1080s and I wanted to toss them into the woods after 2 runs.

They are so bouncy, cannot handle speed, and can't hold an edge.

I can yank the Salomon S912 TI bindings off the 1080s for the snake but I think I want something nice and out of the ordinary.

I might stick some new Vist bindings on them.
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalce
How come the Snake is listed as having an ISO core instead of wood?
My Stormrider XLs have the same ISO core. It's a combination of wood, metal, and some kind of "foam-like" substance. I don't really know the whole story behind it, but they got rid of it in this season's XL.

I don't have a lot of days on my XLs (although I just rode them yesterday and today all day) and whatever an ISO core is it rides with incredible stability and snap. I wouldn't be concerned about this core at all.
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalce
I skied yesterday on my Salomon 1080s and I wanted to toss them into the woods after 2 runs.

They are so bouncy, cannot handle speed, and can't hold an edge.

I can yank the Salomon S912 TI bindings off the 1080s for the snake but I think I want something nice and out of the ordinary.

I might stick some new Vist bindings on them.
I'd go with the VIST bindings. I finally had a chance to check them out live a couple weeks ago and I like their build and features. They seem to be a "Frankenstein" mix of the best things from other manufacturers' bindings.
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
It's tough to buy a ski I have never seen or felt in person forget about ski.

The PEs and Chronics are cheaper and definately stiff.

I spoke to a guy at Ski Sharp in VT today and he said he likes the Snake but it has a soft tail.

This could be an issue for me as I want the skis for mostly bumps and trees.

A soft tail could make the ski wash out on me.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalce
I spoke to a guy at Ski Sharp in VT today and he said he likes the Snake but it has a soft tail.

This could be an issue for me as I want the skis for mostly bumps and trees.

A soft tail could make the ski wash out on me.
I've spoken with Rick at Ski Sharp too. He helped me choose my Stormrider XLs and the right length (since I couldn't demo them at the time).

I wouldn't be worried about a softer tail on the Snake. It can be longitudinally soft, but still torsionally stiff (thus fighting any chance of "washing" out). Personally I like a slightly softer tail in the bumps that will be more forgiving if you get caught in the back seat.
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Are the Snake's torsionally stiff?

I have never flexed them so it's hard to tell.

It's rough spending $300 more for a setup I have never seen.
post #15 of 18
It's really hard to "hand" test for torsional stiffness - it's really something that can only be felt when skiing (although there has been some discussion about testing torsional stiffness by machine). Anyhow, I'd be really surprised if any of the top end Stocklis weren't torsionally stiff. They all use similar construction.
post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
I have decided not to go with the Snake.

I offered skiershop $500 under their best offer and they denied it but said they would accept $570.

http://cgi.ebay.com/06-Stockli-Snake...QQcmdZViewItem

Under $600 is not a bad deal for these sticks if you really love them.
post #17 of 18
I was curious about the Vist set up. I read in their description that the heel and toe piece can be removed easily by flipping a lever allowing them to be put on other skis with the same Vist plate.

Next question, how much is the Vist plate to mount on other skis? To me, this looks to have a lot of merit.
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalce
I have decided not to go with the Snake.

I offered skiershop $500 under their best offer and they denied it but said they would accept $570.

http://cgi.ebay.com/06-Stockli-Snake-170cm-NEW_W0QQitemZ8702084247QQcategoryZ16062QQssPageNam eZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Under $600 is not a bad deal for these sticks if you really love them.
$570 is a fantastic deal for these skis - I've done a lot of business with them and they never offered me that deal - what's up with that?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion