or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Humour and Fun Stuff › Who here is sick of punk snowboarders?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who here is sick of punk snowboarders? - Page 4

post #91 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus178
I agree with iskitoofast's approach. A civil, mannerly comment is the best approach. It might not give the immediete satisfaction of telling them to F-off and calling them names, but, in the long run, it's probably more effective.
It's only after reason doesn't work that we kill them.
post #92 of 198
Forrester, seriously let the arguement die. I'm sure we were all impressed with how the original poster handled their confrontation with a stationary object... but seriously... You're giving a bad name to those who are supposed to be mature role models for today's youth. No wonder kids act like they do.

I would never run over anyone on the mountain. Most likely they would be seriously injured. Regardless of where someone has parked themselves you should do everything in your power to avoid them. Besides, as soon as I run over someone, then the new topic is how how dangerous ski racers are... trust me, we have had that conversation before.

BTW, regarding the beefy skis comment... please talk about something that you know about. You ski 15 days a year on C:9's. You probably are at just as much fault as the snowboarders/skiers that the thread is about... The only difference is that you THINK you know what you're doing.
post #93 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrester
You being the downhill skiier, or being the mid-trail squattor?

Read the SKIER'S RESPONSIBILTY CODE, there is nothing wrong with stopping in the middle of the trail as long as you don't obstruct the trail and are visible from above. Being stopped in the middle of any but the narrowest trails should be OK, and you should be able to control yourself around stopped skiers/boarders.

What's wrong with going around the stopped skier/boarder? Yeah, making a turn. Many skiers enjoy turning for the sake of turning. The best skiers seem to be constantly making turns even when nobodies in the way. BooHoo, I had to make a turn to avoid somebody, now I want to hurt them. Go see Dr. Phil about that anger problem, you're not right in the head.
post #94 of 198
BTW.... It's MTU. Biomedical Engineering to be exact. Who knows, maybe you'll skiing on an artificial knee I design someday
post #95 of 198
I had some female snowboarder tell me "f**k you, dude" the other day at Breck. It's not just the guys(skiers or snowboarders) with the attitudes.

I was coming down the catwalk after E chair(which was still closed) at Breck and was on my way back down toward the Superconnect midway station. I was going faster than everybody else around me, but certainly not fast by any standards as it is a pretty flat catwalk. I had to weave around a couple of boarders who were having trouble and in doing so, accidently nicked the back of one another snowboarder's board. It was truly a nick as I barely came in contact with it and had no impact on the board or her progress down the mountain, whatsoever. "Whoops, sorry!" I told her. "F-you, dude" was her response. I turned around, still skiing, and repeated, "F**k me? Sweet, nice attitude." I stopped down at the Supperconnect to wait for my buddy and she went past me through the maze with her "posse" of boarders and they proceed to stop right before the loading point to figure out "who's riding with who" and clog up the entire operation. "If you're not getting on, get out of the way!" I yell as I push by them. "Not only are you rude, but you haven't figured out how to load the lift either."
post #96 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrester
Thanks for the advice, Colossus. You're simply helping me troubleshoot what is to become my means of getting back at inconsiderate skiiers and boarders whom believe that it is their right to set up camp at any point on the mountain. Perhaps a pole plant to the midsection would be better? You tell me. You're the expert here. And of course I would deny it to management. All in the name of spite, my good man.
Just hope the plaintiff's attorney doesn't find out about your internet postings during discovery. Otherwise, your denials will fall on deaf ears. :
post #97 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskitoofast4u
Just hope the plaintiff's attorney doesn't find out about your internet postings during discovery. Otherwise, your denials will fall on deaf ears. :
So you're saying I should go ahead and print them off?

L
post #98 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeluvaSkier
Forrester, seriously let the arguement die. I'm sure we were all impressed with how the original poster handled their confrontation with a stationary object... but seriously... You're giving a bad name to those who are supposed to be mature role models for today's youth. No wonder kids act like they do.

I would never run over anyone on the mountain. Most likely they would be seriously injured. Regardless of where someone has parked themselves you should do everything in your power to avoid them. Besides, as soon as I run over someone, then the new topic is how how dangerous ski racers are... trust me, we have had that conversation before.

BTW, regarding the beefy skis comment... please talk about something that you know about. You ski 15 days a year on C:9's. You probably are at just as much fault as the snowboarders/skiers that the thread is about... The only difference is that you THINK you know what you're doing.
Well, aren't you the expert. Perhaps a little background, as I don't think it's necessary to post every piece of gear I've ever owned on my profile. I grew up in the northern suburbs of Detroit. I was a recreational racer in HS. I used to average 30+ days a year. Since, I've moved out of the state of Michigan, gotten a Bachelor's Degree (biology) and a Master's degree (Physical Therapy) from Indiana University School of Medicine. I found a job in Indianapolis, and here I've stayed. Unfortunately, skiing isn't big in Indy, I have a VERY busy career, and life doesn't afford me the time to devote solely to skiing. Now, Heluva, one of these days you may grow up and find yourself encumbered by real-world challenges that don't allow you to smoke pot all night in your dorm room, then ski all day the next. Until then, please, continue to condescend to people whom you know nothing about, other than a few lines of information on an internet profile. If that's what makes you feel good and validates your existence, don't let me stop you.
post #99 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskitoofast4u
Just hope the plaintiff's attorney doesn't find out about your internet postings during discovery. Otherwise, your denials will fall on deaf ears. :
You can't attribute the postings to any real person. For all you can prove in a court of law, some 12 year old kid is truely posting these under my name. You aren't real familiar with what comprises evidence in a court of law, are you?
post #100 of 198
Aww dude, I thought about getting a bio degree, and then I remembered that I didn't want to jockey blood samples the rest of my life.
post #101 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefJef
Don't give me that newbie crap. It's not like this is my first post.

Its seems alot more moronic to post in a thread that you feel is dumb. Why don't you go strap on the skates and go hit some icy hill in Vt:
You ever stop to think that maybe it's the A$$HOLES like YOUR self on skis that make them want to snowboard?
post #102 of 198
You know who I hate? Old folks. We've all seen them: those elderly skiers who have been skiing that mountain for forty or fifty years and think they own the damned place. They ski slowly, make turns, stop and talk to all the people they know. Why do they think they're so special? Don't they know that skiing is now an extreme sport, and that their idea of recreational skiing went out when ESPN started showing the Extreme Games?
post #103 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus178
You know who I hate? Old folks. We've all seen them: those elderly skiers who have been skiing that mountain for forty or fifty years and think they own the damned place. They ski slowly, make turns, stop and talk to all the people they know. Why do they think they're so special? Don't they know that skiing is now an extreme sport, and that their idea of recreational skiing went out when ESPN started showing the Extreme Games?
Yep-and they always stop on the side of the trail where the best snow is...
post #104 of 198
Thanks for the informative verbal bashing and resumes folks.

I think everyone needs to mind their own business and hit the slopes some more, instead of sitting around bitching on the internet.
post #105 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking kaj
Call me old fashioned but my understanding is that track used to be a safety device to let people know that you were behind them and preparing to overtake so that they should hold their track rather than making an unexpected large skidded turn into the overtaking uphill skier.
I've been skiing since 1963 and I've never heard anyone use "track." To me it is worse than useless. Imagine the person ahead of you. They hear "track" and have no idea which side you'll be passing on, nor how fast you are approaching. It can easily startle them into a fall.

I learned to call "on your left" or "on your right." I've ammended that with snowboarders to "on you heel side" or "on your front side." If I have time I'll also begin with "I'm coming up behind you." So when passing a boarder I would call out "I'm coming up behind you on your heel side." People react very well to this.
post #106 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus178
You know who I hate? Old folks. We've all seen them: those elderly skiers who have been skiing that mountain for forty or fifty years and think they own the damned place. They ski slowly, make turns, stop and talk to all the people they know. Why do they think they're so special? Don't they know that skiing is now an extreme sport, and that their idea of recreational skiing went out when ESPN started showing the Extreme Games?
Yeah, damn bastards. I try to spray them with snow whenever the opportunity arises.

"track?" WTF IS THAT?
post #107 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takecontrol618
Aww dude, I thought about getting a bio degree, and then I remembered that I didn't want to jockey blood samples the rest of my life.
Or you could spend 7 years and thousands of dollars in schooling and end up working in the IT field like I did. I could have spent far less time and money (with probably half the workload...god was Bio a bitch), gotten a degree in Computer Science and called it a day.
post #108 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15
Read the SKIER'S RESPONSIBILTY CODE, there is nothing wrong with stopping in the middle of the trail as long as you don't obstruct the trail and are visible from above. Being stopped in the middle of any but the narrowest trails should be OK, and you should be able to control yourself around stopped skiers/boarders.

What's wrong with going around the stopped skier/boarder? Yeah, making a turn. Many skiers enjoy turning for the sake of turning. The best skiers seem to be constantly making turns even when nobodies in the way. BooHoo, I had to make a turn to avoid somebody, now I want to hurt them. Go see Dr. Phil about that anger problem, you're not right in the head.
The occasional and isolated person stopped in the middle of a trail isn't a problem. It's when you get a pack of 4 or 5 kids huddled together having a BS session in the middle of a trail that becomes problematic. I don't want to hurt the casual skiier, but I've got an overwhelming desire to hurt hippy telemark skiiers who also snowboard. It's pretty irrational, I know, but humans haven't evolved to the point of completely ignoring their baser instincts. It's a chemical reaction, you see. Adrenaline, testosterone, cortisone and other hormones are released into the blood stream and fight or flight takes over. Maybe it's you, he who stifles his instincts that isn't right in the head. Perhaps you need some testosterone supplementation, Telerod. The decrease in the output of the testes is natural in someone of your advancing age.
post #109 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus178
You know who I hate? Old folks. We've all seen them: those elderly skiers who have been skiing that mountain for forty or fifty years and think they own the damned place. They ski slowly, make turns, stop and talk to all the people they know. Why do they think they're so special? Don't they know that skiing is now an extreme sport, and that their idea of recreational skiing went out when ESPN started showing the Extreme Games?
and don't forget about the blind skiers either. They take up twice as much space on the slopes, since they need a guide.:
post #110 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrester
Or you could spend 7 years and thousands of dollars in schooling and end up working in the IT field like I did. I could have spent far less time and money (with probably half the workload...god was Bio a bitch), gotten a degree in Computer Science and called it a day.
Yeah but then you would've had to not shower ever and talk about how sweet the new linux patch is all the time. No time for skiing in the life of a CS major.
post #111 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrester
You can't attribute the postings to any real person. For all you can prove in a court of law, some 12 year old kid is truely posting these under my name. You aren't real familiar with what comprises evidence in a court of law, are you?
No, I'm not real familar with evidentiary rules; it's already been established in the lounge that I slept through all three years of law school. If you're interested in lifting the fog of ignorance you're currently living under, I suggest reading United States v. Simpson, 152 F.3d 1241(10th Cir. 1998), and United States v. Tank, 200 F.3d 627, 630-31 (9th Cir. 2000). If your tiny brain hasn't imploded after reading and comprehending those cases, you'll most likely want to move on and research exceptions to the hearsay rule for both Federal and State jurisdictions. When you're done, come talk to me.

Incredibly, even though I slept through most of my graduate schooling, I can still spell truly.
post #112 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrester
The occasional and isolated person stopped in the middle of a trail isn't a problem. It's when you get a pack of 4 or 5 kids huddled together having a BS session in the middle of a trail that becomes problematic. I don't want to hurt the casual skiier, but I've got an overwhelming desire to hurt hippy telemark skiiers who also snowboard. It's pretty irrational, I know, but humans haven't evolved to the point of completely ignoring their baser instincts. It's a chemical reaction, you see. Adrenaline, testosterone, cortisone and other hormones are released into the blood stream and fight or flight takes over. Maybe it's you, he who stifles his instincts that isn't right in the head. Perhaps you need some testosterone supplementation, Telerod. The decrease in the output of the testes is natural in someone of your advancing age.
Why? Because I don't want to kill people? You're the one with the problem. Maybe some estrogen? Don't blame your raging hormones, get help, it's available and you need it.
post #113 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskitoofast4u
No, I'm not real familar with evidentiary rules; it's already been established in the lounge that I slept through all three years of law school. If you're interested in lifting the fog of ignorance you're currently living under, I suggest reading United States v. Simpson, 152 F.3d 1241(10th Cir. 1998), and United States v. Tank, 200 F.3d 627, 630-31 (9th Cir. 2000). If your tiny brain hasn't imploded after reading and comprehending those cases, you'll most likely want to move on and research exceptions to the hearsay rule for both Federal and State jurisdictions. When you're done, come talk to me.

Incredibly, even though I slept through most of my graduate schooling, I can still spell truly.
Ahhh, a law student. One of the three classes of people whom I inherently distrust: Lawyers, Businessment, the Clergy. And you corrected my typo! I guess I had better start proof-reading my posts! You're SO clever!
post #114 of 198
I saw one snowboarder wearing nothing but a pair of old fashioned red long johns with a butt flap. Whenever he passed skiers he would pull down his butt flap and slap his ass.
post #115 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrester
It's pretty irrational, I know, but humans haven't evolved to the point of completely ignoring their baser instincts. It's a chemical reaction, you see. Adrenaline, testosterone, cortisone and other hormones are released into the blood stream and fight or flight takes over.
You're just pushing buttons, right? There's no doubt that we have a primitive "animal" side, but in order to live in a civilization we need to control it, not surrender to it.
post #116 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrester
Well, aren't you the expert. Perhaps a little background, as I don't think it's necessary to post every piece of gear I've ever owned on my profile. I grew up in the northern suburbs of Detroit. I was a recreational racer in HS. I used to average 30+ days a year. Since, I've moved out of the state of Michigan, gotten a Bachelor's Degree (biology) and a Master's degree (Physical Therapy) from Indiana University School of Medicine. I found a job in Indianapolis, and here I've stayed. Unfortunately, skiing isn't big in Indy, I have a VERY busy career, and life doesn't afford me the time to devote solely to skiing. Now, Heluva, one of these days you may grow up and find yourself encumbered by real-world challenges that don't allow you to smoke pot all night in your dorm room, then ski all day the next. Until then, please, continue to condescend to people whom you know nothing about, other than a few lines of information on an internet profile. If that's what makes you feel good and validates your existence, don't let me stop you.
Let me guess. West Bloomfield?
post #117 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune
You're just pushing buttons, right? There's no doubt that we have a primitive "animal" side, but in order to live in a civilization we need to control it, not surrender to it.
I am pushing buttons. Some of these guys take themselves way too seriously. Many times venting our frustrations on message boards such as these help alleviate the pressures that lead to animal instincts taking over.
post #118 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrester
Ahhh, a law student. One of the three classes of people whom I inherently distrust: Lawyers, Businessment, the Clergy. And you corrected my typo! I guess I had better start proof-reading my posts! You're SO clever!
Whether or not you trust me is truly unimportant in the greater scheme of things. I was simply correcting the inaccurate information you were proffering as fact. Instead of coming back with some smart-@ss crack, why don't you try really hard to come up with something of substance?
post #119 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP
Let me guess. West Bloomfield?
New Baltimore/Chesterfield (23 Mile and Gratiot area)
post #120 of 198
This thread has certainly brought out the inner-most irritations and shown a few on this board to be quite inconsiderate and short tempered hasn't it? I take issue with the thought that if a skier/boarder (let's just group them and call them 'riders') is stationary in the middle of the trail he/she should be mowed down to show them how silly they are. I've been skiing for 25+years and the thought of teaching a rider a lesson in this manner has never occurred to me. Other riders have the same right to be on the hill as yourself and lessons can be learnt by simply talking in a calm and effective manner. Jumping into somebody's face and yelling abuse is simply the fastest way to put the other party on the defensive and create an conflict.

If a rider has stopped in the middle of a trail and you are bombing down the run in such a manner that a collision is unavoidable, then you are more than likely out of control - pure and simple. Does it make a difference if the rider has fallen in the middle of a run rather than simply stopped? No, the end result is the same - a stationary rider that you have the responsibility of avoiding.

Maybe some enterprising person out there could see a new opening for ski hills - start an anger management program for crotchety folk who believe that everything happening around them is someone else's fault. Ski patrol could mark people's ticket with a big "frowny face" and force them into such a program before allowing them to use the lift again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Humour and Fun Stuff
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Humour and Fun Stuff › Who here is sick of punk snowboarders?