New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Day One Accidents

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I had my first ski of the year yesterday at a small resort here in Ohio-BM/BW. The area is small which means you can pretty much see everything on the hill. I don't know if it is because this is Ohio and it's not known for skiing action or its just people pushing it too hard on the first day but the ambulence sure was busy.

I saw a wicked accident while riding up the lift. One kid was flying down a steep section and caught an edge and did a flip. He hit his head pretty good and you could hear a loud smack. He was knocked out cold and was taken off on a cart to a waiting ambulence. Another guy fractured his leg in 2 places when he hit a divot in the snow. Also, day one saw a dislocated shoulder and a fractured wrist. It's like every 20 minutes you could see the ambulence coming while riding the lift. Made me a little nervous.
post #2 of 21
When I was at Stowe 2 years ago, I saw one death, and about 25 ambulances in one day.: :
post #3 of 21

Thin the herd

Seems like an excessive amount of injuries. I don't think large areas have that many injuries in one day? With the exception of major destination resorts on Major holidays. Lots of 1 week a year skiers packed together attempting to duplicate what they have seen on DVD and TV?

I saw two amateurish skiers go down hard today; One actually took out a small tree he skied away. The other looked like a minor crash but he did not get up, when I saw them loading him on the ambulance he appeared to have a facial cut and a broken collar bone.
post #4 of 21
I don't know about on the hill accidents, but I've seen a rollover type car accident on the road up to Alta every day for about a week straight now. Insane. (And there hasn't been anything but extremely minimal black ice for days now...)
post #5 of 21
Hang out in the War Zone for a day (Patrol / First Aid room). Its amazing. Pretty much anywhere you go, you will find daily carnage. The injuries are fairly predictible for snowboarders and skiers. No one wants to see the head injuries and serious stuff, but wrist, sholder, leg, skin lacerations, abrasions, cold and other injuries seem to roll in and out all day. (My view from the locker room).
post #6 of 21
Safety on the slopes needs to be stressed alot more than it is. I have never seen a ski patrol tell anyone that the slope they were on was beyond there skill level. There seems to be a real shortage of Patrols at most resorts.
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy
Safety on the slopes needs to be stressed alot more than it is. I have never seen a ski patrol tell anyone that the slope they were on was beyond there skill level. There seems to be a real shortage of Patrols at most resorts.
I disagree with this vehemently. Safety can't be an issue of policing. It would increase your lift ticket price if the resorts put more patrollers on, and they prabably would make the skiing too restrictive. You are always going to see reckless skiing/boarding and injury due to it. It's the lack of intelligence of the participants in the sport that is behind it, not the lack of policing. The warnings are there, they just aren't heeded by some.
post #8 of 21
>Safety on the slopes needs to be stressed alot more than it is.

oh no! skiing is the "coolest" sport going. maybe you should try bowling.
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy
Safety on the slopes needs to be stressed alot more than it is. I have never seen a ski patrol tell anyone that the slope they were on was beyond there skill level. There seems to be a real shortage of Patrols at most resorts.
at wachusett this weekend, the ski patrol was slowing down everyone on the hill once it got busy... Regardless of skill or ability. Actually good skier (in larger number compared to novices) were constantly asked to slow down because the trails were too crowded. I guess wa-wa would be your kind of mountain... No shortage of ski patrollers or rangers there either.
post #10 of 21
Thread Starter 
My home hill is small. You can see everything from the lifts so naturally you see any accidents and ambulence etc. I have never been there without seing at least 1 or 2 visits by the ambulence. Considering that this place is very small and the # of skiers is small as well I dont know if this is a higher percentage than bigger places.

Anyways, yesterday I was out for another 4 hours and 4 more accidents while I was there. One guy went down hard and broke his collarbone and arm, another guy was carted off from the terrain park in a serious manner with about 3 paramedics giving him attention. 2 more ambulence visits within 20 minutes of each other but I don't know what those were about.
post #11 of 21
Yesterday at my local hill we had one boy (about 14-15) straightlining the entire run from top to bottom everytime. He had minimal control and people would look out to avoid him. Nobody stopped him however.

But when several of us went in a section (adjacent to the same hill the guy was straightlining), which was full of powder but closed due to lack of grooming, the patrol showed up immediately and stood there to prevent people from going in there. All this while the guy continues to "figure 11" the run.

I guess common sense is in short supply these days.
post #12 of 21
It should be emphasized that wawa is a family mountain owned and operated by the wonderful family that owns Polar Soda if i'm not mistaken. It's run better than any mountain twice its size. The food is great, the learning center is top notch, you can buy tickets and close in parking online and if you're on one of their black trails and they don't think you belong they will politely suggest Conifer Connection or one of the other blues. My son and I learned to ski there and have a lot of fondness for the professional nature of how its run. It's probably too small for many board members here, but if I have a few hours available, I can get out there in 60 mins from Boston and get some decent turns in midweek and its empty.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly001
at wachusett this weekend, the ski patrol was slowing down everyone on the hill once it got busy... Regardless of skill or ability. Actually good skier (in larger number compared to novices) were constantly asked to slow down because the trails were too crowded. I guess wa-wa would be your kind of mountain... No shortage of ski patrollers or rangers there either.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkierXMan
My home hill is small. You can see everything from the lifts so naturally you see any accidents and ambulence etc. I have never been there without seing at least 1 or 2 visits by the ambulence. Considering that this place is very small and the # of skiers is small as well I dont know if this is a higher percentage than bigger places.
My man you have not been around. BM/BW has one of the highest concentrations of skiers per acre of all resorts in the USA. Do you realize that BM/BW has only 79 skiable acres between them. There can be thousands of skiers at those tiny slopes.
post #14 of 21
I am very familiar with the place as well. I second what Pierre said. I have also heard from my friends and family whohave been skiing there the past few days. In fact one of my buddies had a bad accident himself. There are spots and piles of freshly made snow everywhere- they grab your feet and stop you dead in your tracks. You know what happens next. Some places are marked , but most are not. In fact, some days, they are unavoidable for the most part. You just have to go prepared to be grabbed. Some learn from their mistakes, and some don't. Even the most accomplished skiers get hurt there all the time.
So, why am not surprised at what SkierXMan saw?
post #15 of 21
some have the misguided notion that speed=skill. combine this with the first day on the mountain and ugliness can result. i'm too chicken sh*t to risk serious injury on the first day and ruin the rest of the season to do anything other than take it easy...
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AE
So, why am not surprised at what SkierXMan saw?
Because you've been there!

BM/BW is in a class by itself and you just can't describe it sufficiently to those that haven't experienced it. I have mixed feelings about the place. On one hand I think it's great so those around here can get a taste of skiing. It's a terrifying concentration of out of control skiers though. Haven't been there in several years, I avoid it since my schedule pretty much puts me there when all the busses unload. On of these days though I'm going to skip work and track Ott down during the day ...when I understand it's a bit more sane.
post #17 of 21

fast

[quote=yelloboy]some have the misguided notion that speed=skill./quote]

Some people just like speed regardless of skill!
post #18 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AE
I am very familiar with the place as well. I second what Pierre said. I have also heard from my friends and family whohave been skiing there the past few days. In fact one of my buddies had a bad accident himself. There are spots and piles of freshly made snow everywhere- they grab your feet and stop you dead in your tracks. You know what happens next. Some places are marked , but most are not. In fact, some days, they are unavoidable for the most part. You just have to go prepared to be grabbed. Some learn from their mistakes, and some don't. Even the most accomplished skiers get hurt there all the time.
So, why am not surprised at what SkierXMan saw?
Yes I know exactly what you mean. I am on vacation and was there yesterday morning. The fresh snow from the machines causes your skis to suddenly grab. Also at Brandywine near the bottom of the center run there is a large depression with a pit of snow in it. It isn't marked and I am surprised they haven't filled it in. If you ski went into it I am sure you would break your leg.
post #19 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre
My man you have not been around. BM/BW has one of the highest concentrations of skiers per acre of all resorts in the USA. Do you realize that BM/BW has only 79 skiable acres between them. There can be thousands of skiers at those tiny slopes.
I would modify that statement to say BM/BW has the highest conentration of boarders per acre. Skiers are a minority really when you look around. I would say on the weekend and evenings 80% are boarders under 21. I think that is part of the reason the snow is always torn to pieces.
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeib
Because you've been there!

BM/BW is in a class by itself and you just can't describe it sufficiently to those that haven't experienced it. I have mixed feelings about the place. On one hand I think it's great so those around here can get a taste of skiing. It's a terrifying concentration of out of control skiers though. Haven't been there in several years, I avoid it since my schedule pretty much puts me there when all the busses unload. On of these days though I'm going to skip work and track Ott down during the day ...when I understand it's a bit more sane.
He he, Chris, we all know the real reason is NOT work puts you there as the busses arrive, but rather, your car only knows how to get to the airport---perferably the Summit County terminal!:
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly001
at wachusett this weekend, the ski patrol was slowing down everyone on the hill once it got busy... Regardless of skill or ability. Actually good skier (in larger number compared to novices) were constantly asked to slow down because the trails were too crowded. I guess wa-wa would be your kind of mountain... No shortage of ski patrollers or rangers there either.
A bit puzzled by this comment....

I skiid Wa Wa 4 hours Sunday/ 2hrs with SMJ. I did not see ski patrol pulling anyone over....we ski'd at a fair clip most of the day and were not bothered....I pick my spots of course to let em fly...mostly Challenger, 10th Mountain was not open Sunday.

Were you over on sundowner most of the day? Or perhaps things were different on Saturday? Strongly agree with skidad55. Wa Wa has their act together big time. Conifer is notorious for novice skiers way over their heads attempting to ski it which can make it treacherous. Ski patrol is very polite but aggressive there at times....rightly so. Saw none of this on Sunday tho....tho as soon as Conifer got busy I headed back over to Challenger and Look Ma...Challenger is home to the Wachusett Nastar course and is primarily where the racers train, as they were on Sunday.

____________________________

Skidad55, let us know when you're going we'll hook up for a few...SkiMangoJazz ski's midweek same as you...you'll enjoy ski'g with him for sure. He has a thread set up in the resort forum...we had a grand time skiing together on Sunday...more bears would be even better!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Patrol Shack