New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

04-05 k2 PE graphics

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
any opinions on the 04-05 k2 public enemy graphics?
post #2 of 16
Lousy graphics, great skis. It could be worse.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
thanks-- i got some for a good pair of all mountain skis, because i have been skiing since i was 6 or 7, and felt it was time i could own a pair instead of having to rent wherever i was going with friends...the graphics made me uneasy but they are great performers, and gonna be covered with snow anyway, so ill probably be able to live with them
post #4 of 16
duct tape
post #5 of 16
I've skied on several occasions with Ryan Schmies, the designer of K2's freeride graphics, at Cascade Mt. in Wisconsin. Nice guy, lots of talent both on skis and on the drawing board.


You guys really reinforce the Epicski stereotype of a bunch of middle age front side weekend warriors when you say that a ski's graphics make you "uneasy." No one is looking at the graphics and thinking "wow, that guy must think he's a thug." They're looking at the graphics and thinking "Enemies? This guy has good taste in skis."
post #6 of 16
quite the opposite, my friend. The PE ski graphics are very "Cold War" - right up a middle aged alley. The person posting the question is a student, not likely your middle aged stereotype. beware of conclusion jumping. Personally, I like the graphics. But then I was brought up in Moscow and they remind me of my grade school.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom
quite the opposite, my friend. The PE ski graphics are very "Cold War" - right up a middle aged alley. The person posting the question is a student, not likely your middle aged stereotype. beware of conclusion jumping. Personally, I like the graphics. But then I was brought up in Moscow and they remind me of my grade school.
The 04-05 graphics are different from the 05-06 graphics.
post #8 of 16
aha. my error; pardon. well, i don't know what the last ones looked like (got a photo?) but i like the new ones! Suppose my duct tape remark was a bit tongue in cheek, but it could work if he/she truly didn't like the graphics. taste in art is one of those personal things. wouldn't it be fun if they had skis on which you could design your own graphics?
post #9 of 16
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takecontrol618
...You guys really reinforce the Epicski stereotype of a bunch of middle age front side weekend warriors when you say that a ski's graphics make you "uneasy."
Interesting. I am new to this forum, but that is me - 'middle age front side weekend warrior' - but I saw these in a store and I like the look of the ski graphics.

Public Enemy for me means John Dillinger before Chuck D. Fear of the secret police and the rise of the FBI at the beginning of the New Deal. Not to mention the proliferation of automatic sub-machine guns.

The graphics on the new model do appear to have the 'Cold War' look at first glance but as with most artistic efforts, they deserve a longer look.

I like the 'cutout' look and the cop face on top of the cityscape is not a happy image, but definitely brings up an emotional reaction instantly. I don't care what the message is, this is art for me.

That K2/Schmies co-opted Chuck D's cop killer 'firing site' logo from Public Enemy was obvious and effective, it made me notice them in the store and I would guess that is what it is all about.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy them if they were right for me, but I can understand why many people don't like certain styles of art on their 'merchandise'.

It's like having a billboard on the mountain slope - or piped in music through loudspeakers - hey, wait a minute...
post #11 of 16
oops, wrong year...
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takecontrol618
I've skied on several occasions with Ryan Schmies, the designer of K2's freeride graphics, at Cascade Mt. in Wisconsin. Nice guy, lots of talent both on skis and on the drawing board.


You guys really reinforce the Epicski stereotype of a bunch of middle age front side weekend warriors when you say that a ski's graphics make you "uneasy." No one is looking at the graphics and thinking "wow, that guy must think he's a thug." They're looking at the graphics and thinking "Enemies? This guy has good taste in skis."
Then again if the current public enemy had graphics of flowers and tea cups I think a lot of folks(perhaps you too) would be bashing the graphics and avoiding the ski because others might thing "wow, that guy must be a sissy". The fact is graphics do probably have a lot to do with purchase power for some-the younger crowd especially. I bet you many(and maybe you too) would say the graphics make you 'uneasy' and would not want to be seen on it.
post #13 of 16
...sorry...duplicate post
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkierXMan
Then again if the current public enemy had graphics of flowers and tea cups I think a lot of folks(perhaps you too) would be bashing the graphics and avoiding the ski because others might thing "wow, that guy must be a sissy". The fact is graphics do probably have a lot to do with purchase power for some-the younger crowd especially. I bet you many(and maybe you too) would say the graphics make you 'uneasy' and would not want to be seen on it.

Actually, I think the opposite is true... I think you'd have a lot of kids going after the ski becasue of how big irony is right now in fashion- look at all of the kids out there in pink shirts and trucker hats. Line currently has a ski out with pink figuring prominently in the base graphics; Many skateboard decks a few years ago used a vert cartoonish, "girly" style but nonetheless that the skateboarding community totally ate up. Maybe its the older demographic who is most concerned with image these days?
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takecontrol618
Actually, I think the opposite is true... I think you'd have a lot of kids going after the ski becasue of how big irony is right now in fashion- look at all of the kids out there in pink shirts and trucker hats. Line currently has a ski out with pink figuring prominently in the base graphics; Many skateboard decks a few years ago used a vert cartoonish, "girly" style but nonetheless that the skateboarding community totally ate up. Maybe its the older demographic who is most concerned with image these days?
Park and Pipe riders are generally younger to begin. You don't see many 40+ year old skiers in the pipe or on rails so naturally the graphics are more radical looking on the park skis.

Peer pressure applies to all age groups. Most 50 year old skiers probably don't care to be seen on skis with skulls and guns any more than 20 year old park riders would want to be seen on a ski that has tea cups and flowers.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkierXMan
Park and Pipe riders are generally younger to begin. You don't see many 40+ year old skiers in the pipe or on rails so naturally the graphics are more radical looking on the park skis.

Peer pressure applies to all age groups. Most 50 year old skiers probably don't care to be seen on skis with skulls and guns any more than 20 year old park riders would want to be seen on a ski that has tea cups and flowers.
see, you're still saying that park rats wouldn't want to be seen on a ski like that- but I'm telling you that most of them wouldn't care, and a percentage of an even younger demographic would be all about a ski with girly aesthetics. If you shoed up in the park on a pair of K2 Missdemeanors, you probably wouldn't pick up shit from anybody, especially if you performed on them just as well as on any other ski.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion