EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Too mch ski for me: Volkl 6 Star?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Too mch ski for me: Volkl 6 Star? - Page 2

post #31 of 51
Kestner9, Your 4th grade english teacher called she marked your report card incorrectly. You've failed reading comprehension, and I don't have the time or inclination to teach you. Have someone explain my original post to you.
post #32 of 51
That ski is too much for most people. Which means they don't weigh enough or don't go fast enough. Most recreational skiers don't want to weight that much and don't go that fast.

You must be able to bend the ski to used it properly.

The 5 star is much more suitable for most recreational skiers.
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski=free
Kestner9, Your 4th grade english teacher called she marked your report card incorrectly. You've failed reading comprehension, and I don't have the time or inclination to teach you. Have someone explain my original post to you.
I am not going to get into a pissing match and resort to personal attacks like you. I am fully confident that my ivy league education and JD have afforded me satisfactory reading comprehension skills. Your post was poor, said nothing of merit, and you evidently have never skied on the skis you purport to be providing a "review" for... while at the same time you claim others provide misleading information. Think before you write next time.
post #34 of 51
I was skiing with a PSIA examiner last season. He was telling me about a bunch of instructors he know that are really good skiers that went from the 5* to the 6* ... and they're skiing went to crap. You ski 5-8 days a year and ski blue and sometimes black, don't get the 6*. They're a plenty of performance skis more suited to you.
post #35 of 51
Ksstner9, get your parents money back!
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski=free
Ksstner9, get your parents money back!
Again, resorting to personal attacks that have nothing to do with the post is pathetic. PM if you want and I will tear you a new one, but don't ruin this thread with your drivel.

We still haven't heard... have you ever skied on a pair of Volkl 6* to offer a review?
post #37 of 51
Come on people.

Yes some people like the 6 Star.

Yes alot of people have no business being on one.

Yes it is the skier's choice to listen or not listen to other's opinions.

The bottom line is I don't think this guy belongs on them based on his description of his skiing ability.
post #38 of 51
In case you guys haven't noticed you're both making asses of yourselves, not to mention diminishing the reliance anyone will place on your future posts.

Take your petty bickering offline, or act like a pair of adults and knock it off.
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach13
In case you guys haven't noticed you're both making asses of yourselves, not to mention diminishing the reliance anyone will place on your future posts.

Take your petty bickering offline, or act like a pair of adults and knock it off.
Exactly my suggestion... I agree completely
post #40 of 51
The point of my original post which was not understood by kestner9 was:
Many people will offer opinions and advise on skis, that is great, I do it. But it shouldn't replace seeing for yourself if it applies. One of the examples I gave 125# woman, who isn't an ex-racer just a recreational skier who loves to short turn her volkl superspeeds. Now most advise on the superspeed is that they "don't do short turns" or they are "skis for a heavy weight" Now if she just read the reviews and took others advise she wouldn't have tried the superspeed that she loves.
I didn't offer any opinion on any skis them selves. I only offered that a lot of the time the reviews are way off.
post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski=free
I didn't offer any opinion on any skis them selves. I only offered that a lot of the time the reviews are way off.
I don't know that I'd say the "reviews are way off", but they do have to be taken with a grain of salt from the standpoint that they are written from the perspective of the reviewer.

I've read many reviews here that raved about certain skis, and I ended up very unimpressed with the ski myself. It doesn't mean their reviews were way off. It just means that our perspectives or particular likes/dislikes differ as it pertains to a particular ski.
post #42 of 51
Coach, well said!
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski=free
The point of my original post which was not understood by kestner9 was:
Many people will offer opinions and advise on skis, that is great, I do it. But it shouldn't replace seeing for yourself if it applies. One of the examples I gave 125# woman, who isn't an ex-racer just a recreational skier who loves to short turn her volkl superspeeds. Now most advise on the superspeed is that they "don't do short turns" or they are "skis for a heavy weight" Now if she just read the reviews and took others advise she wouldn't have tried the superspeed that she loves.
I didn't offer any opinion on any skis them selves. I only offered that a lot of the time the reviews are way off.
I fully understood your post. The point is, your lift line pal who loves doing short turns on her superspeeds probably just doesn't know what she is missing by not being on a ski better suited for her size and skiing goals. If she read "misleading" reviews before she shelled out the money for Superspeeds she might be skiing on something better for her. Everyone thinks they like what they are skiing on when they were told by someone it is the "best" and they have already paid a lot of money...

The question asked in this thread was whether or not a middle aged gentleman who finds black diamond trails intimidating at times is suited for the Volkl 6*. The answer is NO.
post #44 of 51
milton is not confident on single black diamond runs.

he should be on the 4 star.
post #45 of 51
Why, couldn't he rip on blue runs until he got better? No one says you have to ski black diamonds, especially not until you're ready. Master the blues and the blacks will come.
post #46 of 51
Too stiff a ski causes bad habits and can lead to bad wipeouts if you get tired and ski them from the tails.

He would be better suited to start loading and carving a 4 Star then windshield wiping a 6 Star down the hill.
post #47 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski=free
Why, couldn't he rip on blue runs until he got better? No one says you have to ski black diamonds, especially not until you're ready. Master the blues and the blacks will come.
with a very subjective angle on "rip" you need to understand that he ADMITS to fear of black diamond runs. this means his ACTUAL fear is even greater, given the average man's propensity to minimize his own fears.

someone who is frightened by a black diamond run can't improve his skiing by getting on a 6 Star.

the biggest mistake one can make is the "I'll grow into them" idea. buy a ski for your present skills. it will give the most reward for your inputs. it will help you engrain good habits. and it will punish you a whole lot LESS than a ski designed for the top 5% of all skiers.

now this whole line of reasoning might cause you to think I'm calling into question your own fears, lack of fears, or manhood. but you'd be wrong to read that into the post.
post #48 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalce
He would be better suited to start loading and carving a 4 Star then windshield wiping a 6 Star down the hill.
bingo-bango!
post #49 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzostrike
with a very subjective angle on "rip" you need to understand that he ADMITS to fear of black diamond runs. this means his ACTUAL fear is even greater, given the average man's propensity to minimize his own fears.

someone who is frightened by a black diamond run can't improve his skiing by getting on a 6 Star.

the biggest mistake one can make is the "I'll grow into them" idea. buy a ski for your present skills. it will give the most reward for your inputs. it will help you engrain good habits. and it will punish you a whole lot LESS than a ski designed for the top 5% of all skiers.

now this whole line of reasoning might cause you to think I'm calling into question your own fears, lack of fears, or manhood. but you'd be wrong to read that into the post.
well said oh wise one....and the 4 star is all over ebay...cheeeeep! Itsa nice ski. Master the 4 star and then move up the Volkl line as you improve. As I stated previously, I question the integrity of any Volkl rep suggesting the 6 star for this skier. Not good.

Welcome back G!
post #50 of 51

Volkl 5 vs 6 star

Purchased both the volkl 5 star and 6 star in 2005. Loved the 5 star. Does everything well. Fun ski. The 6 star is a lot of ski. Takes a lot more work. Needs a good skier and you have to always be on it. If you like to push hard the 6 star will give back what ever you put into it. The 5 star is more fun if you like to relax and just enjoy yourself. The 5 star is great in the bumps, on ice and groomed. Still looking for deep powder to try it there. Have skied a lot of skis. Instructor and Patroller. Liked the 5 star better. Even thinking of trading the 6 star for another 5 star. The 5 star is a better teaching and all around ski.
post #51 of 51

Work the Skis?

I have been averaging about 5 days of Skiing a year since I was 13 (30 now, 6'3'' 195 lbs). I treat each run like its my last, focussing on technique and form as I tackle the most challenging runs I can find on the mountain.

I can't say my technique is perfect having only taken a couple of lessons as a kid, but I try: Rarely skiing casually down a run.

Last year I had a blast on some x-sceam rentals and decided to finally buy some skis, since I would be living near tahoe this year and would probably be able to get 20+ days of skiing in.

I bought some some slightly used 182cm 6 Stars off of Craigslist for a nice price and then read all sorts of threads saying how the 175cm versions of this ski was more than anyone of my stature could ever use.

Well, I finally took them out for 4 days in Park City over the new Years and had a blast. On the Ice these things were incredible, on the moguls there were as responsive as anything I have skied, and on the steep groomed runs they seemed rocket powered.

I was using some Lange CRL90's and didn't seem to have any trouble staying forward, but still, from what I have read on these threads, I doubt I am really getting everything I can out of these skis.

Not that I am worried. I Post this here as an endorsement of the skis, and as a question: How can you test this concept of "Getting out what you put into the skis". I'd like to learn to ski them as well as possible, even though I am having a blast skiing now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Too mch ski for me: Volkl 6 Star?