New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Skis for anti-pro man

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Hi everybody. I am planing to buy new skies for myself but i don't know which one would be the best ones.
I am not a pro skier,and i like to increase on this skies my "skiing level".
These skies must be good for increasing carving skills but i need speed also.
They must be very fast. (thats the most important thing, which i like in skiing-speed).
My proposals are: Fischer RX2,RX4,RX6.
I have read that RX6 are good only for turist skiing, and they are not for fast riding.
I would like to hear Your opinions about their speed and every other defects or advantages.
Thanks for help.
post #2 of 19
Not really sure what a turist ski is? Do you mean tourist ski? Even if you mean tourist ski I have no idea what that would be? All the skis you listed are lower end skis soft and forgiving. Out of those Fischer's The RX6 would be the best But the 8 would be better still. Fast is also a relative term. Do you mean turn fast like a slalom ski or or fast as in point them down hill and let the skis run. c
Since we don't have much info on you or your skills or where you ski. Nobody can give any real advice.
post #3 of 19

........

sounds like we're draggin' the flyline a bit here....Y/N..
post #4 of 19
I've got access to a pairof 205 cm SG skis that you could bring home forthe oh-so-low price of $1600
post #5 of 19

hmm the pros don't like you

So let's recap here, (please don't be insulted) you're not a very good skier but you like to go fast and want to improve.

If you throw yourself off the mountain (not litterally godforbid!) any ski will get you down fast, sometimes even in one piece! However, that is not the best way to improve...

In your case just look for a ski advertised as a GS style ski. Go for the models just under the top of the range. If - as I assume - you prefer speed and going relatively straight down over short turns try:

http://cgi.ebay.com/skis-ROSSIGNOL-RPM-21-Bandit-XX-184-mid-fat-03-NEW_W0QQitemZ8727114424QQcategoryZ21245QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Cheerio, say hi to the nurses in emergency
post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 
I have got sentiment for Fischers and I think, that they are very fast.
You are asking about my skills?
Hm...i have been learning for one season carving style and I know how to drive, but i want to get more skills in carving style, but i don't want to buy skis for total beginers, which drive very slow.
Turistic skis means, that they are for skiing without any technic and abilities.
The RX8 are for professionals only and I think, that it would be to hard for me to curb them.
What is the difference beetween RX4 and RX6? Are RX4 more for free skiing?Are RX6 for turistic skiing?
post #7 of 19

wodzas

Step one .... slow down a bit. Too little information for anyone to comment on that will be based in reality.

You have been skiing one season and you want race skis?

I have rarely seen a one season skier be ready for race skis.

It sounds like you equate good skiing with fast skiing .... DEAD WRONG!

What you are doing is hiding flawed fundamental body position and mechanics with speed. This is a common error.

Where are you from, height and weight and days on snow?
post #8 of 19
Wodzas,
I THINK I know exactly what you mean. You like skiing at high speed. You do not have "expert" skills, but do not want to ski slowly until you develop them. 30 Years ago I was just like that. Am I right?

IF so.....

Don't worry about these guys not wanting you to have a fast ski. It's ok for a non expert to want to go fast. Just don't do it around other people, and make sure you have enough room not to crash, and know the course/hill before you decide to go fast on it. Also understand that you will pay a price in ease of learning for your priveledge of skiing FAST: .

Unfortunately the skis that will allow you to go fast with some control will not be forgiving of mistakes, and you may fall more often on them when you are going slow. The non-pro skis you mentioned are not good for skiing fast. If you try skiing fast on them you put yourself at great risk of crashing off the course and into the trees/rocks.

I highly reccomend you spend the 20 bucks and subscribe to the realskiers reviews; they list speed zones for the skis they review.

Here's my FREE advice: Probably any GS race ski will do. If you choose a GS race ski, choose one that is called "more forgiving". They will not make easy tight turns though. Also consider SX11, Fischer RX8 for shorter turns and RX9 for longer turns. Head SW 1100, Head 1400 and i.m 72 get good reviews. The best choice I would make for you is the Head i.M72, but I have not skied it, so I cannot be sure.
post #9 of 19
Wodzas,

which country are you from?

(trying to work out the 'accent')
post #10 of 19

on those new skis

well here's my free advice.

Ask people who know skis (i.e., friends, people here) and people who have seen you ski (instructors) then demo. If you are a "point em down the hill and let 'em go" skier, a lesson would probably be very helpful, well worth the pennies, then you can ask the instructor who will have seen you ski.

as my questions in other threads indicate, i ask a ton of questions (how does it do in crud, on hardpack, etc.) then go ski them. Someone else's favorite ski can be your nightmare (in my case the volant vertexes several years ago,w hich I wound up trading for volant powerkarves).

i have found lessons very helpful, at all stages of my skiing so far, gotten great tips on both technique and equipment. Great way to get rid of bad habits before they are ingrained.

Takecontrol618...such a deal on those straight skis! i'll be fascinated to see how fast they go at such a bargain price, have several exes who will be pleased to see the market on those...otherwise seem to have a lot of chairs from those (particuarly F9s)
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana mags
well here's my free advice.

Ask people who know skis (i.e., friends, people here) and people who have seen you ski (instructors) then demo. If you are a "point em down the hill and let 'em go" skier, a lesson would probably be very helpful, well worth the pennies, then you can ask the instructor who will have seen you ski.

as my questions in other threads indicate, i ask a ton of questions (how does it do in crud, on hardpack, etc.) then go ski them. Someone else's favorite ski can be your nightmare (in my case the volant vertexes several years ago,w hich I wound up trading for volant powerkarves).

i have found lessons very helpful, at all stages of my skiing so far, gotten great tips on both technique and equipment. Great way to get rid of bad habits before they are ingrained.

Takecontrol618...such a deal on those straight skis! i'll be fascinated to see how fast they go at such a bargain price, have several exes who will be pleased to see the market on those...otherwise seem to have a lot of chairs from those (particuarly F9s)

actually, i was talking race stock SG skis... but hell, i suppose i could let a few pairs of the truly high performers go, let me introduce you to the Rossignol 4S
post #12 of 19

high performers..

yeah, i probably couldn't afford a pair of those gems too high performance for me, but, when it's got to be the very best...
i'll dig in my truck seats for those extra pennies and start saving now!
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
And how about Fischer RX 8 or RX 9? I have heard, that RX8's are skiis for womens. Is that true?
post #14 of 19
Wodzas you really suck at this whole asking advice thing....4 or 5 post have asked you questions so they can help you and you have not answered a single one!!! How about you go to a shop and ask them!! Or God forbid take a lesson and ask the instructor to direct you to a good sales person.
post #15 of 19
no.
post #16 of 19
Sounds like you need a pair of snowshoes
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodzas
And how about Fischer RX 8 or RX 9? I have heard, that RX8's are skiis for womens. Is that true?
Women and men can ski an RX8. In fact women can ski any ski. However some men will be embarassed to be seen on a ski that is "for womens". Such skis include Balanze series from Atomic, the Vision series from Fischer, the Exclusive series from Dynastar, the T-9 from K2, etc. Every manufacture has a "for womens' ski. The RX8 is not one of them, but don't let that stop you from skiing it. It is a great ski wether you are a man or a woman.
post #18 of 19
Subscribe to realskiers. Also, pick up a copy of ski press - this issue (fall/winter 2005) reviews skis and are fairly close in description to realskier. My take on the Fischer RX line:

RX2 - beginner, low intermediate ski. Great for learning.
RX4 - solid intermediate ski. This ski is forgiving but can rip...you'd be surprised.
RX6 - higher end intermediate ski, aspiring expert. Fast and stable with very good edge grip. Most versitile of the RX line as per realskier and ski press.
RX8 - expert ski, short rad turn style...very edgy, very fast, described by many as a "forgiving" expert ski
RX9 - expert ski, long rad turn style...GS like. Similar to the 8 in other respects.

For what it's worth, the RX4 seems to be what you need. Quoting ski press..."it rides smooth, clean increadibly sharp....It's stable, versitile, forgiving, fast...precise!"

My .02 - buy the RX 4's and use the extra $400 from not buying the 8's to pay for lessons.
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K
Subscribe to realskiers. Also, pick up a copy of ski press - this issue (fall/winter 2005) reviews skis and are fairly close in description to realskier. My take on the Fischer RX line:

RX2 - beginner, low intermediate ski. Great for learning.
RX4 - solid intermediate ski. This ski is forgiving but can rip...you'd be surprised.
RX6 - higher end intermediate ski, aspiring expert. Fast and stable with very good edge grip. Most versitile of the RX line as per realskier and ski press.
RX8 - expert ski, short rad turn style...very edgy, very fast, described by many as a "forgiving" expert ski
RX9 - expert ski, long rad turn style...GS like. Similar to the 8 in other respects.



For what it's worth, the RX4 seems to be what you need. Quoting ski press..."it rides smooth, clean increadibly sharp....It's stable, versitile, forgiving, fast...precise!"

My .02 - buy the RX 4's and use the extra $400 from not buying the 8's to pay for lessons.
Wodzas said "They must be very fast. (thats the most important thing, which i like in skiing-speed)."

While I pretty much agree with Scott's rundown of the RX line, unless you don't mean 30 to 60 mph when you say "fast" you probably don't want the RX2,4,or 6. You would probably be better off with an RX6 though. Are you sure you need to ski faster than almost everybody else on the ski hill?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion