New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Delerium Dive rookie

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
What's the concensus on getting into the Dive for the first time? Should I sign up for the Sunshine ski school D.D. guided tour, or should I buy the gear and hang out at the entrance until I find someone who will ski it with me? I've skied pretty much everything on the Goat -- Far Side, Wild Side, etc. -- so I think I'm ready for it (or will be, once I've got a few more days under my belt this season).

On that note, do any Bears work at a ski shop in Canmore or Banff? I would like to buy a boot dryer, and may need to buy the gear for the Dive, and would just as soon buy it from someone in here.
post #2 of 24
reply on TGR
post #3 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlion
reply on TGR
Ditto
post #4 of 24
This may sound like a broken record and I know I could ski my way down DD, perhaps not all Seth Morrison stylin but I would get down smiling.

I too could go buy the gear and go but.... I wouldn't expect anyone to ski with me unless I knew how to use the gear. It's not fair to the people willing to have you tag along with them. If they see you with it they would expect you to know how to use it and are going to put their life on the line if and when the time comes.

Me I wouldn't assume someone knows in this day and age. I would ask myself. I am planning on buying the gear myself and getting into backcountry but not until I am properly trained in the gears use.

Life is too important just to get some stoke line and ski DD.
post #5 of 24
Thread Starter 
Marmot,

You make a very good point, but I think that D.D. is a special case. It is an avalanch controlled area, so the danger is not as great as it might be. Conditions at this point, at least to my understanding, are not dangerous. The fact that the ski school is willing to take newbies with little or not training in there indicates that they don't rate the danger as very high. Finally, that experienced Divers are willing to lend newbies equipment and take them in also doesn't point to a dangerous situation.

Then again, maybe I'm just rationalizing because I really want to ski the Dive.
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot mb

I too could go buy the gear and go but.... I wouldn't expect anyone to ski with me unless I knew how to use the gear. It's not fair to the people willing to have you tag along with them. If they see you with it they would expect you to know how to use it and are going to put their life on the line if and when the time comes.

Me I wouldn't assume someone knows in this day and age. I would ask myself. I am planning on buying the gear myself and getting into backcountry but not until I am properly trained in the gears use.
This is an excellent attitude towards the backcountry. However, the Dive is not really the backcountry. Heck, I've seen the patrollers let a guy in that had a driveway shovel tied to his back. The reason: they know they've bombed the heck out of that thing, and it is just as stable as the rest of the hill. The only reason you really need the gear is due to the Parks agreement to be allowed to open it again.

After watching your videos I would say you are spot on with regards to your ability to ski the Dive. I'd go in with you if you ever decide you want to.


Colossus: I've posted in TGR too.
post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
TOLOCO

I've made tentative plans to hook up with mtnlion on Thursday or Friday. With any luck, we'll run into you as well.

I'll be there Thursday-Sunday. I'll be the big guy - 6'2", 230 - in the orange Helly jacket and black pants, Head boots, and either Volkl CMH Explosivs or lime green Vertigo G3s. I'll probably have my iPod wires hanging out of my coat.

Hope to see you there.
post #8 of 24
I'm just going to say in advance, that the TR will be worthless without pics. Don't forget the anxiety shot.
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus178
TOLOCO

I've made tentative plans to hook up with mtnlion on Thursday or Friday. With any luck, we'll run into you as well.
If you guys set up a specific time and place, send me a pm. If not, I'll be on the lookout. I actually know mntlion, so I should be able to find you guys.
post #10 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider
I'm just going to say in advance, that the TR will be worthless without pics. Don't forget the anxiety shot.
What, me worry?
post #11 of 24
You guys that can ski the Dive have to be the real deal. I've skied at Sunshine a couple of times and would look over at DD when riding the lift.
Steep is an understatement.
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus178
What, me worry?
really "what can go wrong?"



:0
post #13 of 24
My ignorance has once again placed my foot sqaurely in my mouth.

I wasn't not of the understanding the DD is a controlled avy area and really just barely to be considered back country. I've seen it many times from the lift and oooed and ahhhed and hoped to go in someday. I knew of the gear requirement and assumed the worst. IE it's backcountry.

This is good news, A trip to Sunshine on a big pow day for DD is in order then. Tuesday you say, Hmmm it's okay if I get fired right? one of you Bears will give me a job won't ya.

help a brother get a fix !
post #14 of 24
I've been wondering about the Dive and Wild West myself. How steep is it? The only really steeps I've skied are at Whistler. How would it compare to something like Whistler Bowl or Ruby Bow or Coulair Extreme?
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard
I've been wondering about the Dive and Wild West myself. How steep is it? The only really steeps I've skied are at Whistler. How would it compare to something like Whistler Bowl or Ruby Bow or Coulair Extreme?
A photo would be cool, too.
post #16 of 24
Wiz: some of the main lines in the dive are like col X at whistler, some are MUCH more sporty, some are just dumb (even by my standards)

WWW is a but more in places, but much narrower (look at it from the gondola on the way up next time)

this year silver city is opening and will be a BIG step again in terrain, lots of lines that will not be skied, and some that will be "found" cool terrain

MM: All the areas like that at SSV are more slack country then back country. keeps the weekend warriors out if they have had a few beers etc

Bob: some pics and some good vid over on biglines.com search sunshine or Dive
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlion
really "what can go wrong?"



:0
My memory must be better than yours.
post #18 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlion
really "what can go wrong?"
Now, don't be bringing me down with any unpleasant facts.

I'm a child of the Bush era: I will believe what I want, regardless of facts or evidence.
post #19 of 24
Now I'm getting choked , it's finally snowing , you guys are yakkin about getting into the dive and my SSV pass and transmitter are gathering dust .
It's going to take about another month for the cracked ribs to heal ..................I need a beer.
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroy
Now I'm getting choked , it's finally snowing , you guys are yakkin about getting into the dive and my SSV pass and transmitter are gathering dust .
It's going to take about another month for the cracked ribs to heal ..................I need a beer.
How many hockey days have you lost to ski injuries vs how many ski days have you lost to hockey injuries? Maybe you should give one up.
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by L7
My memory must be better than yours.

comeone no one has been hurt near me in days .........
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by L7
How many hockey days have you lost to ski injuries vs how many ski days have you lost to hockey injuries? Maybe you should give one up.
Thats damn close to what the wife said when I was watching the snow fall and wondering if I could get away with it. Two seasons ago it was the bar stool incident , last fall the knee and this season cracked ribs , I'm going to have to change something if I ever want to ski before xmas again.
post #23 of 24
So it would not be considered inappropriate for someone with minimal avy knowledge other than a brief intro on grid searching with a transceiver to stand at the gate and go in with someone, assuming they are good enough and know the terrain (as best as possible from below)?

I'm planning on taking level 1 avy this January but was considering trying to rent the equipment from U of C. I know I can ski the terrain, I just don't have the training/knowledge of snow conditions for real back country. I want to get a good enough understanding so I can maybe get into touring in the next few years, but it will take some time with stupid work.

Thanks
post #24 of 24
I think it's been mentioned here but I think the real reason to demand beacon and shovel is so people have to show some commitment and forethought to skiing it. It immediately eliminates the lunch time liquid courage crowd that could create a lot of problems.

There is also a benefit in anything that did happen would generally have a delayed response as at best patrol would need to be notified and then hike up from their boudoir just below the gate. Having everyone there semi equipped to deal with an issue can only help. Some training is better but you can heli ski and cat ski with minimal grid search instruction and avy danger is higher there.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion