EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Anyone tried the RibCaps yet ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone tried the RibCaps yet ?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Anyone tried those yet ?
http://www.hippoo.com/content/shop.a...2&enc=y&lng=EN

There impact protection beanies, made from a new d3o material that becomes very hard on impact. It's not a helmet, but surely must be better than a normal beanie....
post #2 of 18
seppe, a warm welcome to you.

Can't see the point of these myself, especially at those prices.

If a person has made the decision to go for head protection then buying a helmet makes the best sense.
post #3 of 18
Isn't that kinda like wearing a perforated condom?
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Hey Spyderjon,

I probably agree with you if you're looking for the best head protection. But maybe for those who don't like helmets but want to feel more secure than just a beanie, it might be a good go-between ? Haven't tried it yet, but I guess it feels more comfortable.

It's certainly the price of a good helmet, but if you don't like to wear one, might be an alternative ?
post #5 of 18
Is this the same stuff Spyder is supposed to release into their race suits?
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 

d3o

Yes it is, it's d3o material, have a look at www.d3olab.com
post #7 of 18
"intelligent molecules" It ends right there for me. Idiocy.
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw
"intelligent molecules" It ends right there for me. Idiocy.

The fact that all of the pictures make the wearer's head appear to be a gigantic phallus didn't end it for you sooner?
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takecontrol618
The fact that all of the pictures make the wearer's head appear to be a gigantic phallus didn't end it for you sooner?
That's the best thing about it!
post #10 of 18

What a useless silly website.

I'd love to know how the foam itself performs in things like sound conduction.
post #11 of 18
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex
How is that for me?
post #13 of 18

"Intelligent molecules"- tech writing for garment workers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw
How is that for me?
It goes far to explain d3o's rather, um, uninformative own site, though it doesn't flatter the end-product manufacturers very much.

I like the bit about the trademark color though, some interesting ski boot associations there.
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex
It goes far to explain d3o's rather, um, uninformative own site, though it doesn't flatter the end-product manufacturers very much.

I like the bit about the trademark color though, some interesting ski boot associations there.
Oh. Well, I already understand that the idiotic marketing-speak "intelligent molecules" is some empty suits way of conveying that this material changes states in a predictible manner when subjected to certain conditions.

I just can't stand when reason or intent is attributed to entities that have neither...such as "clever" viruses that mutate to foil humankind.

This stuff remind me a little of Dow Corning 3179 Dilatant Compound.
post #15 of 18
I hate to burst your bubble but d3o truly does work. I have used and tested it myself for several ski race garment and armor applications and the material is truly amazing. When "at rest" the material is soft and maliable but when impacted it turns rigid instantly and the process is repeatable.

So unless oyu have experience with the material in real life applications dont go around ripping into a product you clearly know nothing about.

To the original question- that hat is pointless--- get a real helmet.
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesk
I hate to burst your bubble but d3o truly does work. I have used and tested it myself for several ski race garment and armor applications and the material is truly amazing. When "at rest" the material is soft and maliable but when impacted it turns rigid instantly and the process is repeatable.

So unless oyu have experience with the material in real life applications dont go around ripping into a product you clearly know nothing about.

To the original question- that hat is pointless--- get a real helmet.
Who said it didn't work? Not I.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw
This stuff remind me a little of Dow Corning 3179 Dilatant Compound.
Hey, now, that we can read about

Still waiting for an explanation of Atomic's 'nano' as well.
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw
Who said it didn't work? Not I.
Exactly. Thanks for calling BS on the Bafflespeakers. Empty suit is a great term btw.

Comprex that paper is cool. I love the impact photo of it shattering.

As to padded helmets, the only time someone ever wore one and didn't look like a tool was Natalie Portman in Garden State. She is about the hottest woman in the world...so it takes a lot to make her look silly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Anyone tried the RibCaps yet ?