New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Race Stock SL Skis

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I am interested in the Rossignol 9S WC Gold T-plate anf the Volkl Race Tiger SL WC. Anybody skied them? If yes how do they compare to last years models?

Thanks!
post #2 of 15
I hear the new Rossi SL ski is *extremely* stiff.

Best,
Chris
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
That's what i've heard,too. And that's why i asked for a comparison between the '06 and '05 models. Hopefully someone skied them. At least one of them.
post #4 of 15
Strange, because last years 9S was a noodle...
post #5 of 15
Yeah, that would surprise me also.....
post #6 of 15
Back in 2002 the race stock prototype models from Rossi were pretty stiff, but when they hit the market the next fall they were wet noodles, and have been that way ever since. I was able to ski a 185 in their GS ski with no problem last year. I skied on the slalom ski a little bit, but only enough to notice that it felt like a strand of over-cooked pasta.
Later
GREG
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeluvaSkier
Back in 2002 the race stock prototype models from Rossi were pretty stiff, but when they hit the market the next fall they were wet noodles, and have been that way ever since. I was able to ski a 185 in their GS ski with no problem last year. I skied on the slalom ski a little bit, but only enough to notice that it felt like a strand of over-cooked pasta.
Later
GREG
What was the GS race stock ski like? I am still in the hunt for a new free-skiing GS. Was it really damp and smooth, or a little more energetic?
post #8 of 15
Really damp, really smooth, really dead, and not particularly fast. They kind of sucked for free skiing, because they are so soft longitudinally and so stiff torsionally, you constantly deal with them grabbing and letting go of hard snow. The best free skiing GS ski that I have ever been on is my old Salomon Equipe GS LAB's. They were 182's with little sidecut, and they ripped in just about all conditions. Salomons tend to be soft, but they still had more life than the rossi's.
Later
GREG
post #9 of 15
A friend of mine, not me, who is 5'7 150 lbs and an ex-Quebec junior team member, found the 9s pretty good, compared to last year's ski (wich doesn't say much), altough he tought the ski still had that "light" feeling that he hates from Rossignol: stiffness, or at least the way the ski flexes, has been improved, but is still lacking in his opinion.

So, not all that lively, not all that stable, but very easy to maneuver in the flat, turny parts of the course, where it really shines. He said that it doesn't feel like a balls to the wall race stock board and would be good for someone who is looking for a manageable ski in WC men length without having the height/weight to back up beefier offerings.

I don't know of anyone who ski Volkl near me, let alone anyone who has tried the race stock version
post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffr
A friend of mine, not me, who is 5'7 150 lbs and an ex-Quebec junior team member, found the 9s pretty good, compared to last year's ski (wich doesn't say much), altough he tought the ski still had that "light" feeling that he hates from Rossignol: stiffness, or at least the way the ski flexes, has been improved, but is still lacking in his opinion.

So, not all that lively, not all that stable, but very easy to maneuver in the flat, turny parts of the course, where it really shines. He said that it doesn't feel like a balls to the wall race stock board and would be good for someone who is looking for a manageable ski in WC men length without having the height/weight to back up beefier offerings.
This is good b/c it is exactly what i want. I am not looking for a ski which is very demanding or stiff.
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeluvaSkier
Back in 2002 the race stock prototype models from Rossi were pretty stiff, but when they hit the market the next fall they were wet noodles, and have been that way ever since. I was able to ski a 185 in their GS ski with no problem last year. I skied on the slalom ski a little bit, but only enough to notice that it felt like a strand of over-cooked pasta.
Later
GREG
Greg, was the '05 9S very soft longitudinally? Is this what you were saying?
Again, this would be good for me b/c i weigh 155lbs. and do not want the ski to be too stiff.
I heard that the Gold T-box plate from the 2006 9S makes it stiffer.
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
I am going to ask Jeff Bergeron about these skis. He probably knows some things from the race coaches.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
I am going to ask Jeff Bergeron about these skis. He probably knows some things from the race coaches.
Good idea since this guy's opinion is good, but opinions from coaches are even better since they have a wide range of athletes (with different styles and skills) to get feedback from.

Or try to demo them: this can be hard since it's race stock, but a few beers with the race rep of your area can get you a long way
post #14 of 15
The whole ski was soft, not just the plate.
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeluvaSkier
The whole ski was soft, not just the plate.
Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion