New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

new ski time!

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
HI!

So I'm old school - running my Rossi 7s's into the ground. I'm seriously considering upgrading this year....

Last year I demoed the Atomic 9.12 and loved them. I will probably demo this year's sx line but I'm still leaning toward the sl9s.

any thoughts or comments?

I'm not a racer but I like a fast, soft ski and I'm not a big fan of side cuts (old school!). I love the bumps (although I'm not that good in them) and I ski in the northeast in the ice and rocks.

Thanks all!

oh, and opnions on atomic bindings is welcomed too!
post #2 of 19
Atomic R:9
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by gonzostrike:
Atomic R:9
thank you for that less than stellar commentary.

:
post #4 of 19
Volkl AX3 flat with Piston binding. You will not be dissappointed. Read the review in the gear review forum.
post #5 of 19
MBC, I'm a bit confused by your comments. You say you don't really like the high sidecut skis, yet you mention the Atomic SL:9 and the SX, both of which are very high on that sidecut spectrum. I loved the SX:11, and you can get the details on my thoughts about 16 different skis that I demoed on this thread.

The real key in this selection is how much you weigh, your technique level, how fast you like to ski, and how eclectic your terrain selection is.

I have skied the Atomic bindings only on demo skis, but I have heard very good things about them in general. As with many bindings, there are those who despise them, though, so YMMV.
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by gonzostrike:
Atomic R:9
thank you for that less than stellar commentary.

:
</font>[/quote]hey wiseacre, what do you want to know about them?

do a search in here for R:9, BetaRide 9.22 (same ski, prior name) and see what people say about 'em

they're my top pick for someone who wants an Eastern ski that can handle bumps and isn't too stiff (doesn't insist on continual perfect input)

but then, who am I to have a "top pick"? I don't own any Atomic skis. I prefer Fischers.
post #7 of 19
I agree with SSH.

There is a big difference between the Atomic 9.12/R:9s and the SL or SX lines.

Post some specifics and maybe we can be more helpful.
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by ssh:
MBC, I'm a bit confused by your comments. You say you don't really like the high sidecut skis, yet you mention the Atomic SL:9 and the SX, both of which are very high on that sidecut spectrum. I loved the SX:11, and you can get the details on my thoughts about 16 different skis that I demoed on this thread.

The real key in this selection is how much you weigh, your technique level, how fast you like to ski, and how eclectic your terrain selection is.

I have skied the Atomic bindings only on demo skis, but I have heard very good things about them in general. As with many bindings, there are those who despise them, though, so YMMV.
well what the hell do I know - I've been out of touch with ski tech for awhile [img]smile.gif[/img]

the sl9 has a sidecut of 12 - I thought that was low on the spectrum....

let's see - well you never ask woman her weight but I'm 5'2" and bike all summer - so I'm relatively lean with leg muscles. I ski everything the northeast has to offer but prefer the steeps and/or bumps. I think I'm pretty aggressive. I will tell you that I'm 30 (shhhh) and I've been skiing since I was 10.

and, I thought the sl:9 was this year's 9.12. I guess I'm confused! straighten me out!

gonzo - I'm glad you got my humor [img]tongue.gif[/img]
post #9 of 19
The SL:9 has a 11m turn radius in a 150. That's about as small as it gets (the Fischer WC SC has a 10m turn radius in a 160, and I think that is as small as it gets for an adult ski). Small turn radius means dramatic sidecut. For example, the SL:9 in a 150 is 111-65-96 for an 11m turn radius. As a contrast, the R:EX has a 20m turn radius at 168cm (shortest length) at 114-84-106, and the GS:9 has a 14m at 160 (108-65-98). :

If you like those short turners (I love them!), you can really carve tight turns (a 10-14m radius lets you carve a full turn all the way uphill from trail-edge to trail-edge on wooded mountains) [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] . But, you'll have to decide (ideally by demoing) which type of ski and (again, ideally) which one you specifically like the best.

Note: a person's height is no longer the indicator of ski length for the most part (except at the extremes : ). It's a person's weight. Sorry, but that's the way it is.
post #10 of 19
I still say, you should demo the Volkl AX3, you may be surprised. Ski it short... It's a true all-mountain ski, not a softened race ski.
post #11 of 19
BTW, I like the AX3 (and there's a Gamma version, but only with the Motion system), too. It was my favorite ski last year. It does have a lot in common with the race skis, tho. I just like the Fischers a little bit more this year.

But, again, it's really about what you like. Demo, demo, demo.
post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Max Capacity:
I still say, you should demo the Volkl AX3, you may be surprised. Ski it short... It's a true all-mountain ski, not a softened race ski.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you. I have added it to my demo list [img]smile.gif[/img]
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Old School, lean and with leg muscles. I ski everything the northeast has to offer but prefer the steeps and/or bumps. I think I'm pretty aggressive.
Translation: I kick ass and I do it on straight skis.

You sounds like a perfect candidate to cross over from the dark-side to free-heel bliss. Now's the time if you're upgrading your gear. [img]smile.gif[/img]



[ January 05, 2004, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: PinHed ]
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by PinHed:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Old School, lean and with leg muscles. I ski everything the northeast has to offer but prefer the steeps and/or bumps. I think I'm pretty aggressive.
Translation: I kick ass and I do it on straight skis.

You sounds like a perfect candidate to cross over from the dark-side to free-heel bliss. Now's the time if you're upgrading your gear. [img]smile.gif[/img]

</font>[/quote]my knees definitely can't handle that!
post #15 of 19
Sorry MTB Chick, I can't accept that as an excuse. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Free heel gear is easier on the knees than alpine gear. There's more range of motion in the knees for shock absorption and the margin for balance while telemark turning is smaller than with alpine gear so there's less stress on those knees too.

post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by PinHed:
Sorry MTB Chick, I can't accept that as an excuse. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Free heel gear is easier on the knees than alpine gear. There's more range of motion in the knees for shock absorption and the margin for balance while telemark turning is smaller than with alpine gear so there's less stress on those knees too.

GET OUT. How can that be? It looks painful. Did I mention that my knees often ache after a day of skiing? I had knee problems as a kid.
post #17 of 19
Seriously. I have bad knees - 2 knee surgeries (ACL reconstruction with meniscus repair and a partial menisectomy - all alpine skiing related) and wear a knee brace for skiing. And though I'm just starting telemarking (and thus flailing around a bit), it feels fine on my knee. If anything, it feels like I'm building up strength in my knees from tele turns which can only be a good thing - I've only experienced good muscle soreness afterwards, not knee pain. I do get occasionally knee pain from alpine skiing.

I think you get less of a joint strain on tele gear because if you twist suddenly the binding system gives - but with the added play in the bindings you work that much harder for your balance. (This varies depending on which bindings you're using, but that's for a whole different topic...)

It's a challenge, but it's fun.
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk:

I ski everything the northeast has to offer but prefer the steeps and/or bumps. I think I'm pretty aggressive.
you sound like you are in the same boat i was.. i ended up going with rossi rpm 17's... ups should be bringing them here tomorrow [img]smile.gif[/img] (my old ski's were salomon f9 2s in 198)
-Geoff
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally posted by ssh:
BTW, I like the AX3 (and there's a Gamma version, but only with the Motion system), too. It was my favorite ski last year. It does have a lot in common with the race skis, tho. I just like the Fischers a little bit more this year.***
I give the nod to the Fischers, too. I just think the Atomic R:9 is better suited to mtbkrchick because she's been skiing Eastern snow on pencil skis... the R:9 tolerates some skidding during the phase of adjusting to crossunder. The RaceSC can't. I don't know about the RX6... can it?

:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion