New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Detach.Chair in US

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Where was the first Detachable Chair lift in service & what year?

Sking is a lot like sex. You don't have to be good to enjoy it..
post #2 of 15
mrski00'

The first detachable Quad was the Quicksilver chair at Breckenridge. It was placed in service in 1984 and replaced with a 6 pack in 2000. The load test consisted of kegs of beer from Coors.

Chuck
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
Thanks Chuck. I guess I buy lunch. I was betting on Vail.
post #4 of 15
I hear Mad River Glen is looking into a low speed detatchable single for the future .
post #5 of 15
I know the "Fourrunner Quad"at Stowe was the first in the east. 1986.
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
I hear Mad River Glen is looking into a low speed detatchable single for the future .
Clever idea! They could have the feeder cable going faster than the main cable, so it picks you up and drops you at normal speed, but goes slower most of the way! To help preserve the condition of the icy bumped up glades, cliffs and frozen waterfalls. The sudden slowing down after loading telling you that even though you aren't snowboarding, we still don't like you very much and wish you would leave us alone!
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15
Clever idea! They could have the feeder cable going faster than the main cable, so it picks you up and drops you at normal speed, but goes slower most of the way! To help preserve the condition of the icy bumped up glades, cliffs and frozen waterfalls. The sudden slowing down after loading telling you that even though you aren't snowboarding, we still don't like you very much and wish you would leave us alone!
just lol, hahha
post #8 of 15
Breck's quicksilver chair was built in 1981 by Doppelmayr. Dopp had built many similar lifts in europe but they could not operate as fast due to regulations. Brecks was the first that could operate at 787 fpm.

The first 6 pack in US was Boyne Mtn in 1992, also by Doppelmayr.

Colorado's first 6 pack was Copper in 1998 by Poma.


Hope this clarifies!
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc
mrski00'

The first detachable Quad was the Quicksilver chair at Breckenridge. It was placed in service in 1984 and replaced with a 6 pack in 2000. The load test consisted of kegs of beer from Coors.

Chuck
Where was the first first HST In the US: I would say Mt. Bachelor's Summit Express, which was built in 1983. From http://www.skilifts.org/nwsforum/ind...?showtopic=485

:

Revised noted. Breck first.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Dopp had built many similar lifts in europe but they could not operate as fast due to regulations. Brecks was the first that could operate at 787 fpm.
Are you sure it's not just because of the metric system conversion?
post #11 of 15
As far as the east goes, I think the High Speed Triple installed at Gore in 1984 made it the first high speed chair in the east. Stowe's lift was the first high speed quad, I believe. Still trying to get confimation.

- Matt
post #12 of 15

Boyne Mountain, Michigan

1948- Midwest's first chairlift was installed at Boyne Mountain
1961- America's first U.S. freestyle exhibition was held at Boyne Mountain
1964- World's first 3 place chairlift was installed at Boyne Highlands
1969- World's first 4 place chairlift was installed at Boyne Mountain
1990- Michigan's first high speed quad chairlift was installed at Boyne Highlands
1992- America's first 6 place chairlift was installed at Boyne Mountain

From their website:
http://www.boynemountain.com/bm_fr_ri_hs.htm
post #13 of 15
coskibum,
I stand corrected.
chuckc
post #14 of 15
most high speed quads operate at 1000 fpm or some of the new ones in CO go as fast as 1,100 fpm this is a speed of 5.59 m/s in metric
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
I hear Mad River Glen is looking into a low speed detatchable single for the future .
Since MRG is talking about either a new single or rebuilding the existing single,
a question from the opposite side of the universe, which I don't know the answer to.

Where was the last single chair installed?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion