EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Just tried a Diablo Race Pro 130
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just tried a Diablo Race Pro 130

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
It fits NOTHING like the Diablo Mg. It feels like the shell was sized down a full size. I can barely cram my feet in there. Once in, they get used to it, but my toes are clenched and my foot feels like it's in a vice. In the Mg in the same size it felt roomy. The stiffness is pretty nice, but the fit won't work for me (unless I brave out a few weeks of black toenails to finally get the front end ground out accordingly). I'm gonna have to go with the Saloman XWave10 I think. Fit is maybe a bit roomier than I want, but I'll have to live with it.
post #2 of 16

Yes they are different

The Race Pro 110 and 130 shells are 2mm narrower overall and 2mm shorter in length in a 26.5. The differences in lengths get even greater when you go up in boot size. The Race Pro R is even narrower and shorter.

Unless you have narrow feet, most will probably have to have 6th toe punches and a punch in the top medial (inside) ankle area.

Make sure and have at least 1/2" of room behind your heel when shell fitting either the Race Pro or the Mag.

HB
post #3 of 16
There is definately a happy medium between the Diablo Race and the X-Waves.

The Race Pros are extremely narrow compared to non plug boots.

The X-Waves are extremely roomy.
post #4 of 16
you can adjust the flex of the race pro by removing the screws in the back. i did that, it works. feels actually better that taking softer boots, because the cuff flexes around the point where it is attached to the lower shell, instead of deforming the lower shell.

or go for the 110.

my race pro was punched out quite a bit to make room for my forefoot, that worked great.

the heel hold in the pro is quite incredible.

anyway, i may evantually have a foot very close to the technica last...i find my race pro the comfyest thing around. no pressure point, no shin bang, nothing.
post #5 of 16
There is no comparison between the Race Pro and the Magnesium.

Why don't you go to a bootfitter so he can make room for you toes? You don't need a very good bootfitter to do that. If you get the Race Pro, you will ski better. It is forgiving for a race boot and great for freeskiing. You don't know what you're missing.

What you said reminded me of my first day in the XT. I had been skiing in the Icon Alu Comp and took the XT out for one run. I was a better skier in the Xt from the first turn. I felt as if my foot was directly screwed onto the ski. I could carve effortless short carved turns on the same snow where the Icon Alu Comp required more effort.

I told you this so that you can understand better what you're missing. Btw, the Xt is still a competitive boot (according to Jeff Bergeron) but is narrower than the Diablo Race Pro.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sywsyw
Why don't you go to a bootfitter so he can make room for you toes? You don't need a very good bootfitter to do that. If you get the Race Pro, you will ski better. It is forgiving for a race boot and great for freeskiing. You don't know what you're missing.
i second that. i directly stepped up from rental stuff to the race pro. there is a very steep section in my learning curve, i tell you. guess why. it did cost a fortune, but i'd refuse to ski without them now.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdan
you can adjust the flex of the race pro by removing the screws in the back. i did that, it works. feels actually better that taking softer boots, because the cuff flexes around the point where it is attached to the lower shell, instead of deforming the lower shell.

or go for the 110.

my race pro was punched out quite a bit to make room for my forefoot, that worked great.

the heel hold in the pro is quite incredible.

anyway, i may evantually have a foot very close to the technica last...i find my race pro the comfyest thing around. no pressure point, no shin bang, nothing.
Sorry but lower shell deformation exists. Less so with plugs. It also depends how hard you're flexing the boot.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sywsyw
Sorry but lower shell deformation exists. Less so with plugs. It also depends how hard you're flexing the boot.
it was just my impression that deformation was more with the screws in.
post #9 of 16
I do not know if the lower shell deformation is more visible with the rivets in but i can tell you that with the rivets in, the boot is more powerful. These rivets are directly related to the transmission of energy to the ski. If you take them out the boot will be softer but less powerful. This decreases the responsiveness of it.

I noticed lower shell deformation when flexing the XT and Race R. Much less with the Race R. The XT which, IMO, is a hinged design is different than the new Diablo design. The XT appeared when Tecnica changed the Formula which was a monoblock and was not functional and was not winning races.

I remember the plug boot review from GMOL's old website. To sum up the review, this boot is capable of performing at a very high level without the work needed for the other plugs.

The Diablo Race Pro is roomier and requires less work than the XT. I do not know why, but some people see the Race Pro as a super narrow and very stiff race boot. Not true. It is not even a plug.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sywsyw
It is not even a plug.
You're correct. The Race Pro is not a plug boot.

The Race Pro R is a true plug boot and can not be skied or put in a binding until a substantial amount of grinding is done to the sole of the boot, i.e., it's not DIN compatable out of the box.

After trying on the Race Pro R and its skimpy, 2 pieces-of-leather lace-up liner, I don't know why anyone would want to ski it for more than 1/2 a run.

HB
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkinBanks
You're correct. The Race Pro is not a plug boot.

The Race Pro R is a true plug boot and can not be skied or put in a binding until a substantial amount of grinding is done to the sole of the boot, i.e., it's not DIN compatable out of the box.

After trying on the Race Pro R and its skimpy, 2 pieces-of-leather lace-up liner, I don't know why anyone would want to ski it for more than 1/2 a run.

HB
I have the Race R. I love it. I admit i modified it.

But what are you trying to say about the DIN compatibility issue? Could you give more details?
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sywsyw
I do not know if the lower shell deformation is more visible with the rivets in but i can tell you that with the rivets in, the boot is more powerful. These rivets are directly related to the transmission of energy to the ski. If you take them out the boot will be softer but less powerful. This decreases the responsiveness of it.
i skied w/ screws in 2 weeks on primarily hard surface. that was great. when another week there was powder and crud offpiste and slush on the groomers, i found it helpful to ski without the screws. it doesn't need too much force to push my axis x around...and i am not the best bc skier yet (not nearly), so the softer flex works better for me off piste.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdan
i skied w/ screws in 2 weeks on primarily hard surface. that was great. when another week there was powder and crud offpiste and slush on the groomers, i found it helpful to ski without the screws. it doesn't need too much force to push my axis x around...and i am not the best bc skier yet (not nearly), so the softer flex works better for me off piste.
If you need the softer flex by all means take them out.

Your boot uses the Dobermann 4 bolt design for maximum reactivity. Racers have both bolts in. So this difference is PROBABLY more visible in higher end skiing/racing. I even saw the XT with bolts in. I noticed this on the boots of a WC racer. So he needed to make the XT even more powerful and was also looking for stiffer flex.
post #14 of 16
if a ski trip turns out to be blasting down groomers mostly, i will for sure have the rivets around and put them in. i nonetheless have seriuos doubts my skis would know what to to with all that transferred power ;-)
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sywsyw
But what are you trying to say about the DIN compatibility issue? Could you give more details?
The boot sole doesn't meet DIN standards (the height, thickness, and radius of the plastic at the toe and heel). Early versions of the boot went out without a sticker informing the user that the boot doesn't meet DIN standards. I believe that the sticker is now included on the boots that go out. The boot has to be grind down to fit into DIN compatable bindings or it won't "test out". The extra material in the boot sole is there for boot fitters to cant the entire lower boot.

HB
post #16 of 16
Yes what you said is correct. This boot has 3mm of lift added to the sole.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Just tried a Diablo Race Pro 130