or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Community Discussions & Forum News › How to be a Supporter without being a Lounge Lizard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to be a Supporter without being a Lounge Lizard - Page 2

Poll Results: How to be a skiing-topics-only Supporter

 
  • 0% (0)
    Create a new Status "Non Lounge Lizard Supporter"
  • 15% (5)
    Create a new "New Posts" button that filters out the Lounge
  • 28% (9)
    Allow Supporters to "opt-out" of the Lounge
  • 12% (4)
    Other
  • 43% (14)
    Flawed
32 Total Votes  
post #31 of 92
With all due respect, Bonni...the presence or absence of the listing of those provocative threads in the "new posts" listing changes the character of one's EpicSki experience greatly. For some, seperation from the Lounge may be critical to keep the toxicity of their experience here at a minimum. If I had the ability to make threads appear or disappear from view, without losing access to them completely, I would make copious use of that bell/whistle, employing for both aggravating or irrelevent threads. I'm sure many would.
post #32 of 92
Gee SMJ thanks so much characterizing those who want to view the lounge as lizards. :

YOUR condescending insult has earned the depreciating responses you've gotten on this thread, as it was you who slung the first mud. It amazes me that you are unable to recognise your own baiting as such, and view yourself as an innocent victim when others respond in kind. Your denial is huge, and is the creative source of the "pollution" you seek to avoid. Have the life you make.
post #33 of 92
Where's the 'create 13 new screen names with no lounge access' option?
post #34 of 92
I'm still not clear why people who don't want to read the posts in the lounge need a special feature to keep them from doing so.
post #35 of 92
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by volantaddict
Gee SMJ thanks so much characterizing those who want to view the lounge as lizards. :

YOUR condescending insult has earned the depreciating responses you've gotten on this thread, as it was you who slung the first mud. It amazes me that you are unable to recognise your own baiting as such, and view yourself as an innocent victim when others respond in kind. Your denial is huge, and is the creative source of the "pollution" you seek to avoid. Have the life you make.
I apologize for that interpretation of that phrase. Lounge Lizard is a common term, band name, brand of furniture as well as an electronic keyboard term.

It had no intended negative meaning at all, but if it was taken that way I'm sorry. It was intended to be a cute term.

Please google the term to see why I felt it was harmless.
post #36 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz
I apologize for that interpretation of that phrase. Lounge Lizard is a common term, band name, brand of furniture as well as an electronic keyboard term.

It had no intended negative meaning at all, but if it was taken that way I'm sorry. It was intended to be a cute term.

Please google the term to see why I felt it was harmless.
When your distain for the lounge is so great that you're asking the adminestration to customize the site so that you can avoid all notice of it's existance, it's hard to imagine it was applied as a term of endearment or anything neutral even.

Once again you seek to paint yourself as innocent instead of taking responsibility for your hostility. The emotions you seek to evade are more a part of you than the guilt that tells you that you must disown them.
post #37 of 92
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by volantaddict
When your distain for the lounge is so great that you're asking the adminestration to customize the site so that you can avoid all notice of it's existance, it's hard to imagine it was applied as a term of endearment or anything neutral even.

Once again you seek to paint yourself as innocent instead of taking responsibility for your hostility. The emotions you seek to evade are more a part of you than the guilt that tells you that you must disown them.
I only asked for this SKI site to be usable as a SKI site, a request that has been supported by others in this thread.

It was easy for me to opt out of the lounge, I just cancelled my PAID membership.

What you fail to realize is that I'm asking for a way that I (and others) can support the site, voluntarily. I'm asking for a way I can pay money to support the site.

See this as you may. The only guilt I may feel is using epic without paying my share.

And as to my disdain, it is not for the Lounge per se, it is for some of the people in it. People I CHOOSE not to affiliate with, nor to expose myself to.

I expressed no hostility, I started a thread looking for a way for people to continue to support Epic SKI.
post #38 of 92
Thank you, Volant Addict.

Lounge Lizard is also a derogatory term for someone sleazy. That is the most accepted definition, by far. Terms like Pollution, Bile, and the general tone of your (and jstraw's) posts suggest you don't just want to Not Look, you're fairly disgusted with all of us who enjoy it.

Don't wear the fur if you don't want PETA on your back.

PS. An ANONYMOUS donation solves all your problems, SMJ. Still, you got your point across.:
post #39 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz
I only asked for this SKI site to be usable as a SKI site, a request that has been supported by others in this thread.

It was easy for me to opt out of the lounge, I just cancelled my PAID membership.

What you fail to realize is that I'm asking for a way that I (and others) can support the site, voluntarily. I'm asking for a way I can pay money to support the site.

See this as you may. The only guilt I may feel is using epic without paying my share.

And as to my disdain, it is not for the Lounge per se, it is for some of the people in it. People I CHOOSE not to affiliate with, nor to expose myself to.

I expressed no hostility, I started a thread looking for a way for people to continue to support Epic SKI.
SMJ, I don't get the same feeling from any of the others, who said they wouldn't mind opting out of the lounge, as I do when you post.

You could easily use and support this site without having the lounge in your radar, just send them the money and tell them you don't want the extras, I doubt our adminestrators require you to have the "premium" services. As I see it, you want the status of "Epicski Supporter" underlining your user name. That's what this is really about, isn't it, status.

There's nothing preventing you from using this SKI site as a SKI site, and only that. It seems you just made this poll so you could elicit sympathy for your hypersensitivity, and draw attention to your Supporter status now that you are listed as a member. You want others to make space for you, respect you, and cater to you. Why not just admit it? Why act like this has any more importance than you seeking to avoid feeling your pent up anger?

Again SMJ I'm addressing this to you alone, as I don't get this impression from any others who like your idea.
post #40 of 92
Actually, I really like the idea of the New Posts to be selectable by section or to be able to opt-out of any of the different sections.

I don't get a lot of time to spend here, and using the New Posts doesn't work for me at all, because I only want to see new stuff in a few of the forums, not even everything ski related. It'd be great to have a check box to select which forums to pull new posts from.

Then again, if the web forum software doesn't support it, then we're SOL, even if AC and DChan wanted to make it happen.
post #41 of 92
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by volantaddict
SMJ, I don't get the same feeling from any of the others, who said they wouldn't mind opting out of the lounge, as I do when you post.

You could easily use and support this site without having the lounge in your radar, just send them the money and tell them you don't want the extras, I doubt our adminestrators require you to have the "premium" services. As I see it, you want the status of "Epicski Supporter" underlining your user name. That's what this is really about, isn't it, status.

There's nothing preventing you from using this SKI site as a SKI site, and only that. It seems you just made this poll so you could elicit sympathy for your hypersensitivity, and draw attention to your Supporter status now that you are listed as a member. You want others to make space for you, respect you, and cater to you. Why not just admit it? Why act like this has any more importance than you seeking to avoid feeling your pent up anger?

Again SMJ I'm addressing this to you alone, as I don't get this impression from any others who like your idea.
Geeze VA, I don't know what I did to elicit your wrath, unless it was the Lounge Lizard thread title? And again I apologize for that, it was said in fun.

I respect this site and what I learn from it and want to continue to support it.

But I guess you're right about one thing. I could just send in money and not have the all important and underlined status symbol of "Supporter" by my name. But do you truly believe that that is so important to me, and that is what this thread is about? Drawing attention to my Supporter status. Come on now.

I'm focusing on not overreacting and bringing personal attacks into my posts. Try it, it's a good feeling.
post #42 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonni
Terms like Pollution, Bile, and the general tone of your (and jstraw's) posts suggest you don't just want to Not Look, you're fairly disgusted with all of us who enjoy it.
Au contraire, Bonni. I enjoy it too much. Though I confess I did learn about some people's views to an extent that it had a negative impact on my appreciation of them as individuals.

In me, it was bringing out a lot of ugliness I just don't need to express. If you didn't see any bile, fine...I'm glad. I saw it and I'm primarily concered with taking control of my own experience, no one elses. The inquiry into the availability of tools to construct that experience wouldn't seem to me capable of generating heat but apparently it is. It's not like anyone that would embrace tools to unsubscribe to forums or threads wants to take anything away from anyone that finds those threads and forums useful.

If the lounge is intended to be a perk for supporters, in my opinion it's value, in terms of the acquisition and retention of supporters, is linked to supporters' ability to control the amount of mud wrestling they're faced with there. My instinct is that the lounge as currently configured may be a detriment to the health of this site and it's ability to foster community. All I'm interested in is exploring whether or not the forum software can provide a broader pallete of tools that will address this.
post #43 of 92
Thread Starter 
Thank you jstraw, my sentiments exactly.
post #44 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz
I'm focusing on not overreacting and bringing personal attacks into my posts. Try it, it's a good feeling.
So you characterize what I've said as a personal attack, better work on your focus. I'm calling it as I see it. I find you to be consistantly putting others down while acting as if you are the pinnacle of virtue. You seek to elevate yourself above others while choosing not to see you are doing so, even when it is pointed out to you. I've seen you do so repeatedly throughout the time I've been reading posts here, and I finally had to tell you what it's like from my side.

This behavior is something I find much more repugnant than coarse language or name calling, as it lacks directness. It is behavior that I take issue with, the person is not the behavior. When I spell things out clearly as I have here, it is because I am giving the person an opportunity to change the behavior. One can accept this or deny it. Those who choose to deny it, earn my wrath.
post #45 of 92
Quote:
posted by jstraw:
My instinct is that the lounge as currently configured may be a detriment to the health of this site and it's ability to foster community.
It's junk like this that makes me irritable. You've said, in so many other words, it's an ugliness and the axis of evil. It will tear the unity of Epicski apart if all Supporters have to see the titles in New Posts. Burn the Books!:

Quote:
also posted by jstraw:
I enjoy it too much. Though I confess I did learn about some people's views to an extent that it had a negative impact on my appreciation of them as individuals.

In me, it was bringing out a lot of ugliness I just don't need to express.
Sounds like a character flaw. Can't you control yourself?:
It's only a Any Topics forum. Don't be such stuffed shirts. Go skiing, for cryin out loud.
post #46 of 92
"I think you will all agree that by trying to introduce more discipline, more order, I have hopefully made this a more enjoyable war for all of us."
post #47 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdeluxe
"I think you will all agree that by trying to introduce more discipline, more order, I have hopefully made this a more enjoyable war for all of us."
Hey, that's a good one, who is it quoting?
post #48 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdeluxe
"I think you will all agree that by trying to introduce more discipline, more order, I have hopefully made this a more enjoyable war for all of us."
"Frank Burns eats worms."
post #49 of 92
I like the way it is now, or rather, I see no need to change it.

If there is a decision to adopt any of these changes, I hope the admins will leave things as is for the majority of us who see no need for a feature and ONLY make the changes effective for those that choose to figure out how to "check the correct box" to turn on (or off) the feature they wish.

There are tons of features in all the software I use daily, lots of them I find of no particular use. I could care less that many "features" are in the software. When I do run across a feature I like, I make it mine.

Hopefully, I won't have to modify my routines---learned by trial and many errors---to accomodate a few who make the most noise.
post #50 of 92
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by volantaddict
When I spell things out clearly as I have here, it is because I am giving the person an opportunity to change the behavior. One can accept this or deny it. Those who choose to deny it, earn my wrath.
Wow free psychoanalysis but with a twist! Agree or "earn my wrath."

That's three times you've tried to analyze me.

Tell me, would you care to have people do the same to you based on your posts? I'm sure it would be interesting. But what woud the motivation be? To try to make you change? To try to humiliate you in public? To hurt your feelings?

But hey, thanks for the opportunity to change my behavior.

(By the way, I've re-read all of my posts on this thread and your comments are totally irrelevant to anything I've said here.)
post #51 of 92
Some of you baffle me completely. What is the downside of providing tools so that people that want to turn off certain threads or forums from their own view, may? How on earth is this some sort of enforced civility and order?

I'm not particularly concerned if it makes some irritable to suggest that as far marketing the site goes, it's an easier sell if new supporters can have the choice of viewing or not viewing this content or that. It's what I believe.
post #52 of 92
I agree that it would be nice for users to be able to selectively choose which forum the view new posts feature applies to. And it would seem appropriate if such a feature was available and implemented that it default to how it works currently for those who like how it works currently, ie. opt-out rather than opt-in.
post #53 of 92
How darn hard is it to just skip the topics that do not interest you? I do it all the time. I could care less about several of the forums that others go to and post on. I could care less about many of the off-season sports topics; telemark, AT and backcountry skiing and some of the other forums. I do not whine and fuss and ask for them to be removed.

I see a bunch of sour grapes here. It's obvious that someone said something to or about you in the lounge and you could not take it.

There are often things I do not care to read in the lounge as well as in other forums. There are topics and view points I do no agree with or care to view so I skip them. It's not that hard to do. No one said that you have to read every post that comes up on the NEW POSTS list when you click it. The name of the forum is even included so that if you want to skip it you can.

Stop whining because everything is not set up to cater to your needs and start thinking about everyone...IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU...It's NOT your site, try to remember this...the site is for EVERYONE!
post #54 of 92
I picked Allow Supporters to "opt-out" of the Lounge. Why not? Big flipping diff, either way.
post #55 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbroun
I picked Allow Supporters to "opt-out" of the Lounge. Why not? Big flipping diff, either way.
Opting out is one thing, but making a post here that calls all supporters that post in the lounge "LOUNGE LIZZARDS" is another entirely different thing. Whining and making a big scene is uncalled for and immature. A PM to the people who run the site with the suggestion would have been MORE appropriate.

No one forces anyone to read any posts. Just skip the ones you do not want to read, is it really that hard?
post #56 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachskiljp
Opting out is one thing, but making a post here that calls all supporters that post in the lounge "LOUNGE LIZZARDS" is another entirely different thing. Whining and making a big scene is uncalled for and immature. A PM to the people who run the site with the suggestion would have been MORE appropriate.

No one forces anyone to read any posts. Just skip the ones you do not want to read, is it really that hard?
SMJ -- how dare you call me a lounge lizard (I will grieve the injury for decades), and then have the shocking audacity to give these Epic creeps a suggestion. How inappropriate and childish! Shame on you! :
post #57 of 92
Actually, after all this, I have to say I don't have any desire to enter the Lounge based on the above.

The fact that I have repeatedly hunted around for a way to eliminate certain forums from displaying when I hit the New Posts button tells me it's enough of an annoyance that it'd be worth doing. I mean, I am offline half a day and I come back and there's five or six pages of New Posts. And ski season hasn't started yet! I can't imagine keeping up with things once the season gets going and I am out on the slopes.

Now, you've heard from a rational person, not currently involved in any ongoing fights with anyone. So, could you please accept that there's some validity to the request even if the original post was from someone you all dislike?
post #58 of 92
sibhusky, SMJ makes it sound like the lounge is a horrible place...it isn't. He makes it sound like there are hundreds of posts there a day that clog the forum new list, there aren't. I did a new post search today with my member name signed out and another with it signed in. I had IE open 2 windows so the searches were at the same time (approximately). At about 3 I opened the new posts both ways...then signed out while I went to my niece's field hockey game. When I returned at 7 and checked both, at the same time there was a difference of 3 posts.

SMJ is obviously upset by something that was said in the Lounge...a basically unmonitored forum. Someone must have said something negative about him or went against his point of view on a topic.

As with every other forum on this site...and every other thread for that matter...if you don't want to read it...skip it. There are some great threads on that forum, there are also some that I do not like. This is also true of other forums on this site. I do not BEG to be able to shut them off because I do not like them or care to read them. I do not hear others begging for this either.

If you want to read only certain forums click on them...the new posts are at the top. That's simple, isn't it?
post #59 of 92
I'm wondering if what goes on in the Lounge is affecting epic as a whole? Looking "from the outside" as it were, I've noticed people getting more snitty with each other and alluding to things not evident from the thread they're in. I think that maybe some of the brangling that happens in the lounge is spilling into the skiing parts of epic, where people continue resentments or quarrels originating in Lounge discussions.

I think being able to opt in to and opt out of lounge membership would not be a bad thing at all, for the harmony of the site as a whole.
post #60 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant
I'm wondering if what goes on in the Lounge is affecting epic as a whole? Looking "from the outside" as it were, I've noticed people getting more snitty with each other and alluding to things not evident from the thread they're in. I think that maybe some of the brangling that happens in the lounge is spilling into the skiing parts of epic, where people continue resentments or quarrels originating in Lounge discussions.

I think being able to opt in to and opt out of lounge membership would not be a bad thing at all, for the harmony of the site as a whole.
Like that word brangling. Is that antipodean for wrestling with words?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Community Discussions & Forum News › How to be a Supporter without being a Lounge Lizard