EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Renting skis is like Public Transportation...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Renting skis is like Public Transportation... - Page 2

post #31 of 45
And for his next $$$$ saving tip, Phil is gonna' give us a breakdown on how much he has saved by "investing" in his own Montana with the CAD/CAM custom interface.

Be sure to include all of the airline, hotel and shipping costs in too!

My primitive estimates work out to about $375 a tune (excluding wax) as amortized over the twenty year life of the machine.



Sorry ..... couldn't resist ..... another man's luxuries drive me green with envy!
post #32 of 45
Your argument assumes the skis are replaced every two years. I use skis a lot longer than that. The only pair that got replaced after two years was the pair that I bought 2 years before shaped skis hit the market. If you need the latest skis AND ski only ten times a year AND suitable rental skis are available near you AND you don't mind making a trip to the shop to get them AND another trip to return them, then by all means rent.

If you usually go skiing for a weekend or longer, it might be a good choice but if you make a day trip once a week, it might be too much hassle.
post #33 of 45
Renting may make economic sense, but the good demo skis cost more than $25 a day to rent. Plus there is the tune issue that has already been mentioned. Even with demo skis I have noticed a wide variance in sharp edges, let alone the wax. I have also run into binding problems. The last 3 times I had pre-release issues, it was with rentals.

Heck, the worse is when there is thin coverage, I have had them cancel the insurance option because they know you might scrape the base. So if you have to ski cautiously because with any damage, you have to pay for the repair.

So, it is not as rosy as one thinks it should/could be.
post #34 of 45
Renting may make economic sense, but the good demo skis cost more than $25 a day to rent. Plus there is the tune issue that has already been mentioned. Even with demo skis I have noticed a wide variance in sharp edges, let alone the wax. I have also run into binding problems. The last 3 times I had pre-release issues, it was with rentals.

Heck, the worse is when there is thin coverage, I have had them cancel the insurance option because they know you might scrape the base. So if you have to ski cautiously because with any damage, you have to pay for the repair.

So, it is not as rosy as one thinks it should/could be.
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf
Like Public Transportation, it is seldom a purely economic decision. People (including me) continue to drive cars regardless of the economics because we like the convenience and sense of freedom. Interestingly (at least here in DC) the recent gas price increases have cut into people's driving but haven't changed the use of Public Transportation.

I agree with the group that says "time in the rental lines" is a bigger non-economic cost than the off-setting economic cost of the skis.
I totally agree with this. *Always* renting/demoing would involve too much hassle and when skiing is involved, my tolerance for hassle is very low. There would have to be a much more significant economic difference for economics to be a factor for me.

Actually, my tolerance for hassle is usually pretty low - not a very patient one am I.
post #36 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki
And for his next $$$$ saving tip, Phil is gonna' give us a breakdown on how much he has saved by "investing" in his own Montana with the CAD/CAM custom interface.

Be sure to include all of the airline, hotel and shipping costs in too!

My primitive estimates work out to about $375 a tune (excluding wax) as amortized over the twenty year life of the machine.



Sorry ..... couldn't resist ..... another man's luxuries drive me green with envy!
OK...and who has the Vette?
post #37 of 45

Get To Know The Best Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI-3PO
*Always* renting/demoing would involve too much hassle and when skiing is involved, my tolerance for hassle is very low.
It depends on the shop and the relationship. My bro comes out to Jackson for about 10 ski days every year. He has superb boots with custom footbeds and he rents demo skis at a shop he has had a 6-year relationship with. It is a ski-in, high-end ski shop at the base:
--He brings microbrew to the techs
--He has gotten to know the Manager and one of the owners.
--They hold his ski of choice for his arrival
--His entire rental history is in their computer and he sails through check-out in 5 min.
--He can swap models at any time, multiple times/day if necc, based on conditions or whims.
--He negotiated a frequent renter discount.
--He never lugs a ski bag to/from the airport.

For him it is the ideal situation. For me, who tries to get out at least 40 days/year, I gotta have my own investment.

Hank
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoback Hank
It depends on the shop and the relationship. My bro comes out to Jackson for about 10 ski days every year. He has superb boots with custom footbeds and he rents demo skis at a shop he has had a 6-year relationship with. It is a ski-in, high-end ski shop at the base:
--He brings microbrew to the techs
--He has gotten to know the Manager and one of the owners.
--They hold his ski of choice for his arrival
--His entire rental history is in their computer and he sails through check-out in 5 min.
--He can swap models at any time, multiple times/day if necc, based on conditions or whims.
--He negotiated a frequent renter discount.
--He never lugs a ski bag to/from the airport.

For him it is the ideal situation. For me, who tries to get out at least 40 days/year, I gotta have my own investment.

Hank
Agreed. I've the same experience in france as your brother.
post #39 of 45
Nah, I disagree thoroughly,
I purchased brand new Atomic 10.20's back in '99 and they still rip killer arcs all over the mountain.
These skis might last another 10 years and believe me, The technology hasn't changed so much that I am even considering new skis. Why bother? I consider these skis to be even better than the so called new technology. There is no substitute for quality materials.
I purposely purchased a wood core, titaninum based ski, because I knew that it would last for years and years.
I usually ski less than 10 times a year too, and would absolutely shudder if I had to ski and that crap that is available for rental.
If you believe ski technology has changed in the last 5 years then you are a fool.
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic World
If you believe ski technology has changed in the last 5 years then you are a fool.
For the FNG around here you sure aren't going to make friends fast with comments like that. You wear your ignorance on your sleeve. The wider "FIS illegal" super sidecut skis didn't exist 5 years ago and they are producing their own "semi" revolution now after the introduction of shape skis about 10 years ago.

Why don't you sit back, read through the tons of excellent information on here and get some "education". Why else would you bother hanging around here?
post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
"Time" is coming up a lot here. Let me expand, yes I send "renting" but I also noted "Demo and HP rental" these are usually done through the ski shop and not the rental shop. You do tend to get in and out in 20 min or so. I understand rental lines are the WORST and I am not saying that they arent/ Also, a couple of calls ahead to reserve your skis is also a strong option. Have your boot length (MM's), weight, height and skier type ready. So, when you walk in the shop everything is set for you. Most time you can do this at a good base shop or one of the access road shops. If you are there for a couple of days (as mentioned) sometimes you can pick up the gear the night before for the next day if you feel like changing skis.
Good point on time . If you want to save time in a demo/rental shop I have two suggestions; First, own your own boots. This alone will save 75% of the time you spend in rental. Bypass the families trying on boots and go straight to ski rental. Second, call ahead and reserve your skis. We have used the same shop in Snowmass for the last 4yrs. All info is on computer and easily pulled up. As Phil says, a six pack goes a very long way. Our group normally gets into snowmass mid afternoon, plenty of time to check into rooms, grocery shop and pick up demo ski rentals. (lift tickets purchased before we arrive waiting at lift office). As busy as SM gets we have never spent more than 20 minutes in the ski shop.

Some in our group own their skis. We always fly into area which makes it a crap-shoot if equipment makes it that day and in one piece! As much as I like toys demo has always seemed the route to go. I have had the pleasure of skiing on rx8 and 9s, K2s and atomic products over the last few years. However, if I kind find a great deal on a pair of rx9s or b5s I just might have to bite!
post #42 of 45
I Disagree. I became a much better skier as soon as I bought my first pair of skis.
In this day and age you can buy last years top of the line skis for 400 -500 bucks or less if you look.
They is no substitute for excellent equipment. I do agree that boots are first!
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler
For the FNG around here you sure aren't going to make friends fast with comments like that. You wear your ignorance on your sleeve. The wider "FIS illegal" super sidecut skis didn't exist 5 years ago and they are producing their own "semi" revolution now after the introduction of shape skis about 10 years ago.

Why don't you sit back, read through the tons of excellent information on here and get some "education". Why else would you bother hanging around here?
Uh, it wasn't meant as a personal attack. Many, however are duped into thinking that the latest and greatest is the best. It is not. It is the gear you perform the best on, no matter how old it is. I don't believe that this years batch of skis is any better that were made 5 years ago. This is just a strong unsubstantiated opinion. Not sure I care about the legality of skis as they apply to FIS rules at all. Do they even televise skiing anymore? Why would that fact even be relavant to this argument at all?
Just opinion. Who really cares. Most of the so called "information" is simply regurgitated marketing hype and more unsubstantiated opinions. Gear reviews are bogus too IMO.
post #44 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic World
It is the gear you perform the best on, no matter how old it is. I don't believe that this years batch of skis is any better that were made 5 years ago. This is just a strong unsubstantiated opinion. Not sure I care about the legality of skis as they apply to FIS rules at all. Do they even televise skiing anymore? Why would that fact even be relavant to this argument at all?
Just opinion. Who really cares. Most of the so called "information" is simply regurgitated marketing hype and more unsubstantiated opinions. Gear reviews are bogus too IMO.
The only thing I will disagree on is the addition of a new segment of skis such as the Metron, Hot Rod and Z9 typ ski, there was NOTHING like these skis 5 years ago. Past that, I agree skis really haven't changed much in 5 years.
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic World
Uh, it wasn't meant as a personal attack. Many, however are duped into thinking that the latest and greatest is the best. It is not. It is the gear you perform the best on, no matter how old it is. I don't believe that this years batch of skis is any better that were made 5 years ago. This is just a strong unsubstantiated opinion. Not sure I care about the legality of skis as they apply to FIS rules at all. Do they even televise skiing anymore? Why would that fact even be relavant to this argument at all?
Just opinion. Who really cares. Most of the so called "information" is simply regurgitated marketing hype and more unsubstantiated opinions. Gear reviews are bogus too IMO.
I agree with allot of what you say. I also think you are not as well informed as you might believe. The amount of time you spend skiing limits your ability to see what is truly (New and Improved)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Renting skis is like Public Transportation...