New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Binding mount position

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I just got my second pair of Chubbs, which I'm telling myself are for exploring the powder in the trees. They were mounted with Marker M41s, which I've already taken off, and I have a pair of Salomon 977 Equipe Drivers which I plan to put on them. Here's the rub, the Marker holes of course don't match the Salomons so the remount will need to be either forward or behind of the factory mounting line (Volants have a toe line), 1cm either way I think. Any suggestions on which way to go?
post #2 of 16
Forward. If they're for the trees, then the shorter the tip, the better.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dunn
Forward. If they're for the trees, then the shorter the tip, the better.
Hmmm....so you don't think that'll make the tips dive at all, or do you think there's plenty of suface still to keep them up? I really want to make an informed choice and am glad for ideas to consider.
post #4 of 16
VA - Do the research and figure out how to do a BoF (Ball of Foot) mount position determination (search engine). See where that puts you on the ski. If there's at least 10mm between the edges of where all the old screw holes currently are to where all the new screw holes will go then that's what I would go with.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by volantaddict
Any suggestions on which way to go?
I still think you should mount the bindings on the top (shiny side of a Volant).
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler
VA - Do the research and figure out how to do a BoF (Ball of Foot) mount position determination (search engine). See where that puts you on the ski. If there's at least 10mm between the edges of where all the old screw holes currently are to where all the new screw holes will go then that's what I would go with.
I have read some threads here on epicski where you described it. You mean where the ball of the foot is centered on the midpoint of the running surface? If the tail is slghtly upturned do you measure from where it contacts as opposed from the end?
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
I just reread part of the "Binding mounting position revisted thread" from this past April, and if I read it right and measured correctly, I came out 31mm forward of the manufacturer's toe mark. This seems like it must be wrong, as unlike other Volants I have, the weight balance point is 32mm behind the toe mark (others have always been right on it). I'm now thoroghly confused.:
post #8 of 16
Don't be confused - it may be correct. On some Volants (the newer ones) they adopted midsole marks that would more closely correspond to a BoF mounting position. On older Volants the midsole mark is anywhere from 25mm to 30mm further back than where BoF would place my position. Your Chubbs are from the "old school" days so I bet you're right on.

I've posted the BoF method a few times as have others. If you feel comfortable with the process then go with the new midsole mark you've calculated. If not, back it up a bit, but I bet you have plenty of clearance now from the old mounting holes (assuming they were using the marked midsole point from Volant).

P.S. I just re-read your post and I believe you mistakenly used the term "toe mark" where you really meant midsole mark. I assumed so in this post.
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler
Don't be confused - it may be correct. On some Volants (the newer ones) they adopted midsole marks that would more closely correspond to a BoF mounting position. On older Volants the midsole mark is anywhere from 25mm to 30mm further back than where BoF would place my position. Your Chubbs are from the "old school" days so I bet you're right on.

I've posted the BoF method a few times as have others. If you feel comfortable with the process then go with the new midsole mark you've calculated. If not, back it up a bit, but I bet you have plenty of clearance now from the old mounting holes (assuming they were using the marked midsole point from Volant).

P.S. I just re-read your post and I believe you mistakenly used the term "toe mark" where you really meant midsole mark. I assumed so in this post.
Thanks for the response Noodler. When I wrote toe mark I meant exactly that, I have seven pair of Volants and all of them have a mark that says boot toe.

My new ('95-'96) Chubbs have, on the mounting plastic (in addition to the boot toe mark) a big 5 with a + in it (as do my oldest pair of Powerkarves). I have no idea what that means. I bet Phil would know. I'm still puzzled.:
post #10 of 16
on the old powercarves the +- 5 was part of the volant marketing program "Volants track like a ski 5cm longer, and turn like a ski 5cm shorter." as for the mounting, the two bindings have diffrent hole patterns, did the previous owner have the same boot sole legnth. my point being, your new bindings may not need to be moved forward or back of the boot toe mark. the old holes may not interfere with the new ones.

james
post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong1974
on the old powercarves the +- 5 was part of the volant marketing program "Volants track like a ski 5cm longer, and turn like a ski 5cm shorter." as for the mounting, the two bindings have diffrent hole patterns, did the previous owner have the same boot sole legnth. my point being, your new bindings may not need to be moved forward or back of the boot toe mark. the old holes may not interfere with the new ones.

james
Well that answers one question at least, it doesn't seem like a great marketing sceme to me, but I was always curious about it.

The Salomon holes need to be slightly wider than those of the Markers so I have to go forward or backward.
post #12 of 16
VA - Are you a tall guy with big feet? What are your measurements? If you're average height or shorter with a smaller foot than I would bet that you'll be fine (actually better off) moving forward.
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler
VA - Are you a tall guy with big feet? What are your measurements? If you're average height or shorter with a smaller foot than I would bet that you'll be fine (actually better off) moving forward.
I'm 6'4" 190, and my boots have 335mm soles (29cm insole). I think this qualifies me as a tall guy with big feet. (my feet really aren't big for my hight though)

I decided to mount them back instead of forward, for a few reasons. First was that the balance point weight wise was where the boot toe would be if I mounted the behind the previous holes, and all of my other Volants had boot toe marks where the weight balanced. I also remembered that I skied on my other Chubbs a bit forward last season out of ignorance; they have adjustable demo toes, and when I first got them, I hadn't yet discovered the toe mark and there wans't and mid boot mark, so I skied them 2 cm forward, then moved them back a couple times, as they tended to dive in the forward position. I'd rather err on the side of being slightly in the back seat than have my tips diving on me.

In order to mount in front of the previous holes it would have put me 22mm forward of the factory mark, whereas mounting them behind put me less than a centimeter back. When I brought them into the shop today I talked to a couple techs at the shop who asked me what type of skiing I'd be using them for, and they both thought that the rear position would be better, of course by that time I was leaning toward the rearward mounting.

Given that Volants have such a huge sweet spot, I'm sure they'll be just fine. I'll let you know once we get some decent snows.
post #14 of 16

Does anyone know how to set toe piece height on salomon bindings

i have a set of salomon bindings and want to know how to set the toe piece height i know that you must be able to fit a business card under the boot but does that mean with your foot in the boot or out :
If anyone has any advice please answer back
Thanks
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by volantaddict
by that time I was leaning toward the rearward mounting.
And no drinking was involved.

So, what's the result?




Jamez, welcome to Epicski and it really isn't done to adjust your bindings while standing in them. :
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hmmm...how interesting this would pop up just after my third day of skiing on this set up. Mounted 1 cm back of the factory mark, my oldest and shortest pair of Chubbs have been an absolute joy to ski. I do get in the backseat periodically, but I think that it more a result of my crappy skiing, as I do that on other skis periodically too.

This set up has been great in powder, crusty crud, moguls, short radius turns through the trees (which was what I got them for) and respectable on the hard packed Bowl Runout which has been very icy. I'm pleased as punch, I'm only afraid that I'll be disappointed when I try to ski any of my other skis after skiiing these.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion