EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 2005 Volkl 724 Pro and the new AC-4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2005 Volkl 724 Pro and the new AC-4

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Are these the same ski? Do they ski the same?
post #2 of 16
New means new.
post #3 of 16
I haven't tried the AC4s but I have the 724 Pros. Apparently the AC4s have all of the good of the Pro (nice and stiff, charge thru any snow type, very stable at speed) but not the bad (will throw YOU if you don't weigh a lot). The AC4s are also a lot beefier.

Sorry I couldn't answer your question from experience, but thought I'd throw in my .02.

Cheers!
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Right, but new also means 400 bucks more (at least)!!!!
post #5 of 16
Yes it does and carbonissimo has a good point!
I'm actually looking to find a new home for my 724 Pros (see my 2nd comment about them)
They're 163's and in good shape.....
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skichick70
Yes it does and carbonissimo has a good point!
I'm actually looking to find a new home for my 724 Pros (see my 2nd comment about them)
They're 163's and in good shape.....
unfortunately I'm looking for 181s
thank you
post #7 of 16
Oh well, thought I'd give it a shot!
post #8 of 16
You'll have a hard time finding 181s...I think they come in 177 and 184.

As for the AC4, from everything I've heard here and elsewhere, they are actually a different ski than the 724. They're more of an upgrade on the G4 design, not the 724. They basically took the G4, gave it more side cut and a wider shovel and made its flex properties a bit more condusive to skiing groomers and hardpack. It's basically a G4 that is much quicker edge to edge and has better hold on hardpack, but floats better at the same time.

The 724 was a slightly different beast.
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemosyne's lobotomy
You'll have a hard time finding 181s...I think they come in 177 and 184.

As for the AC4, from everything I've heard here and elsewhere, they are actually a different ski than the 724. They're more of an upgrade on the G4 design, not the 724. They basically took the G4, gave it more side cut and a wider shovel and made its flex properties a bit more condusive to skiing groomers and hardpack. It's basically a G4 that is much quicker edge to edge and has better hold on hardpack, but floats better at the same time.

The 724 was a slightly different beast.
well then I'll cut them!!!

thanks all
post #10 of 16
You're in the Denver area, right? You might go check out Larson's off I-70 and Kipling. I had some skis mounted up there a couple weeks ago and I seem to recall they had both the 724s and the AC4 (both flat and system) on the shelf. You can fondle both.

That shop has a prettty good selection of gear: Atomics, Stockli, Volkl, etc. I've had good experiences there with the staff. Can't say the same for some other front range shops. Here's their site: http://www.larsonsport.com/
post #11 of 16
The AC4 is a very different ski than the 724Pro. I've skied the 177cm AC4 with the PCOS motion binding. The ski I would compare it to in Volkl's line is the 5*, it is a carve oriented ski, it wants to be laid over and carved and the onsnow feel is similar to the 5*, its smooth and quiet with a light touch. I would not compare it to the G4 in anyway. That was a different generation of ski design, big and brawny with a traditional GS ski feel, the AC4 is smooth and easy to ski.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom
The AC4 is a very different ski than the 724Pro. I've skied the 177cm AC4 with the PCOS motion binding. The ski I would compare it to in Volkl's line is the 5*, it is a carve oriented ski, it wants to be laid over and carved and the onsnow feel is similar to the 5*, its smooth and quiet with a light touch. I would not compare it to the G4 in anyway. That was a different generation of ski design, big and brawny with a traditional GS ski feel, the AC4 is smooth and easy to ski.
More like the 5star? Wha? The 5 star is a pretty soft ski compared to any of the above mentioned (G4, 724). The AC4 is supposed to be the top end, stiff mid-fat in the Volkl line. How could it be as soft flexing as the 5star?
post #13 of 16
Easy it's targeted at the same skier, the 5* was their top of the line "illegal" sidecut all mountain race carver 3yrs ago, remember? The 6* bumped it out of top dawg standing by name but not performance. The 6* was created to offer a snappier quicker feeling version of the 5, they removed the 2 metal layers and added 7 layers of fiberglass. A modern take on the old school SL vs. GS. Volkl is looking to please the guy that owns a 5 or 6* and wants a "one ski to do it all."
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom
Easy it's targeted at the same skier, the 5* was their top of the line "illegal" sidecut all mountain race carver 3yrs ago, remember? The 6* bumped it out of top dawg standing by name but not performance. The 6* was created to offer a snappier quicker feeling version of the 5, they removed the 2 metal layers and added 7 layers of fiberglass. A modern take on the old school SL vs. GS. Volkl is looking to please the guy that owns a 5 or 6* and wants a "one ski to do it all."
What if that guy owns a Superspeed and wants a mid-fat for those days when it's not just cruising (crud, fluff, off-piste, trees, bumps, and high-speed groomers at the end of the day)?

<-----------aka, me.
post #15 of 16
It sounds like you'ld love it!
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemosyne's lobotomy
What if that guy owns a Superspeed and wants a mid-fat for those days when it's not just cruising (crud, fluff, off-piste, trees, bumps, and high-speed groomers at the end of the day)?

<-----------aka, me.
get a powder/crud/off-piste ski and then you will have two skis that do two different things very well, instead of a second ski that does a few things kinda good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 2005 Volkl 724 Pro and the new AC-4